back to article Barclays online banking falls offline

Barclays Bank online banking service has been mostly unavailable today due to 'technical issues'. The Bank was unable to provide any further details as to what had caused the outage. Vulture Towers has received several emails today and earlier this week from unhappy customers. A spokesman told the Reg: "There have been …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Untitled

Seems to be ok now.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Barclaycard

It seems to be barclaycard that is now experiencing problems.

3. Coalescence
    Thumb Down

Grumble

It took until 6:20pm yesterday for my pay to hit my Barclays account too (it's late normally, but not that late!). They must be having some serious system issues.

4. Thomas Bottrill

The message is there

But I can log in quite happily.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Barclaycard is stuffed too

Couldn't get on last night - still can't.

They say: "Service status

Important Information

We are currently experiencing high demand, which may affect the speed of the service. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause."

But actually if you try and login you always get:

"An Error has occurred

Your log in request could not be processed.

Please check your details and try again."

Note to DoS hackers - the banks can collapse on their own, but I'm sure you'll take the credit.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Too busy raiding in the USA?

Barclays online banking is regularly subject to difficulties at the end of the month. This has been going on for some time, and they know full well about it. I guess it's more fun raiding assets in the USA and being one of the survivors in the post-credit-crunch (ha! what a misnomer) new banking cartel, than upgrading their customer facilities.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's been bad since last night at the earliest

Barclaycard wouldn't let me make a payment at all last night. Managed it this morning but by 'eck it was s-l-o-w.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Problems with both services (Barclaycard and Barclays Online Banking)

On the morning of 24th September with Barclaycard (BCard) couldn't get past Login ("An error has occurred" and "Your login request could not be processed"). At the same time Barclays Online Banking (BOB) was so lethargic as to be unusable. Early evening on the same day BOB back to normal but BCard still could not process login requests. Called the BCard Internet Services Number and was told that there was a problem with the 'back end' and that *some* customers were affected. Told to try again the next day. No change. Called again on the 26th and told to try again in 72 hours. No change. Called again on the 29th - told to try tomorrow. No change. Called on again on the 30th and told to try again tomorrow. No change. Given up on BCard online and checking my balances daily by telephone. Oh, and I think most of this week the BCard site has been displaying "We are currently experiencing high demand, which may affect the speed of the service. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause."!

Apart from that first day I have had no problems with BOB, apart from occasional lethargy, until today. Having said that I didn't even have a problem today as I did not attempt access until late this afternoon. I ignored the displayed notice and was able to access my account albeit with very slow response times.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

My Apology

Barclays says: "We suggest you try logging in again later and apologise for any inconvenience caused."

OK, here it goes...

I apologize for the inconvenience that was caused to you, my bankers, by my futile attempts to login. I'll never try to login again without asking for permission first.

Is this good enough?

10. David Unsworth
    Thumb Down

Useless!

It's a shame that the site is not reliable as out of all the online banking sites I have seen it is the most user friendly. And it is always at the end of the month when people get paid, surely their capacity manager has figured this out by now?!?!

11. Moss Icely Spaceport
    Stop

Another bank crash?

I took out my entire life savings to be sure, all 6 quid !!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Barclaycard has been having overnight problems for months

I've found the barclaycard site completely unusable for months when trying to access my account around midnight. The 3-step login process will randomly restart after any of the steps, or it will tell you you're logged in and then log you out. If you do manage to login it can take minutes to navigate the site. You can't make payments as you'll never know if they've worked or not.

Try complaining and you get the usual "have you tried switching your computer off and on again?" routine. Or they blame your ISP. Certainly they refuse to look into it. Even though it happens consistently every night.

They're a useless bunch of twonks and their site sucks.

13. Tim

What happened?

It was the first of the month. It always goes slow on the first. It was also the first of the first month when everyone started bricking it because they haven't got any savings, their house is worth a fiver and their credit card balance just won't go down.

Not mine obviously. Not at all. Aaaagggh.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Capital One

That's nothing, Capital One's online payment system has been down since Sunday. Calling to pay over the phone, I was told "no ETA" on when it would be back up (the account login still worked however).

15. Jon Leighton
    Go

Morgan Stanley

Could be all the extra customers from Morgan Stanley (and the others) they have just taken on moving their debts from the exhorbitant 23.9% interest rate to something cheaper.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Barclays Bank OK Barclaycard not OK

re Tim "What Happened".

Barclays Online Banking certainly zipping along this morning so "first of the month" scenario plausable. Not the case with Barclaycard; still get past Login ("An error has occurred" and "Your login request could not be processed") and this has been the case since the 24th September. According to my records I have been accessing the Barclaycard site since at least 2002 so it's unlikely to be a problem at my end and Barclaycard have already admitted it's a problem with thier system anyway. If not fixed by next Monday will have to escalate!

17. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@AC and midnight logging on.

You've been trying for months to log on a midnight? Perhaps try a different time of the day then! Simple :-) Guessing its down to some silly regular maintenance jobs running at midnight..

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Suntan

between 11pm and 1am is the only time I can conveniently login to my barclaycard account. It's a 24 hour service - what's it to you when I choose to do my admin?

And for the record, the site is still down...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like