back to article Microsoft waves updated Maps, Hotmail at customers

Microsoft yesterday updated its Windows Live versions of Hotmail and Maps, in its latest attempt to appear relevant in the online world. The proprietary software giant hasn’t rolled out the tweaks made to Hotmail to everyone yet. Most peeps will have to wait a few more weeks, but a few lucky non-Googlemail individuals can …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JasonW
    Gates Horns

Updated?

Aerial Photos at least 5 years old, mapping even older around here - judging by the progress on the street in which I've been resident for the last 3½ years

2. Dan Silver badge

Microsoft: Getting it wrong again

So they're taking out email, photo-editing and movie-making apps in Windows 7 and putting them online in an effort to out-Google Google (I'd like to see an AJAX movie-making app), and at the same time advertising Windows to be as good as OS X.

One of the selling points of OS X is the iLife suite. What will you get when you turn on Windows 7? Notepad. Possibly.

3. Joe K
    Thumb Down

Spam? Loads please

I couldn't give a toss what gloss they slap over the interface, how about they just have proper spam filtering?

I signed up for a mail address just to see how long before it got spam in, was a matter of hours before the flow started.

Mail accounts become unmanagable within months, its completely useless, but the moronic suits that run Microsoft now don't want too strong spam filters in case the advertisers complain.

4. Bruno Girin
    Thumb Down

Spam

There would be a very easy way to make hotmail relevant again: include a decent spam filter. I have a hotmail and a gmail account. Both receive a large amount of spam. With hotmail, 90% of that spam ends up in my inbox where I have to delete it. With gmail, 90% of it ends up in the 'spam' folder where it belongs.

Now what are the chances that this new flashy hotmail incarnation include a decent spam filter? More likely, it's full of unnecessary web 2.0 widgets that make it look swish and polished rather than useful.

5. JimP
    Thumb Down

Increasingly irrelevant!

All MS seem to achieve with their "updates" to Hotmail is to break bits of it. It's getting to the stage of not being good value for money despite being free. Got to go - need to set a forwarding address, a permanent vacation reply and reply to address in preparation for the next "update".

6. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Counting their chickens?

>"MS has been talking up the next version of its online email service as being faster and more sparkly than the cluckier site of yore."

ROFL :-)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maps are well older than 5 years

MS aerial photos of my house still show the estate being built.

The estate was completely completed in summer 2000.

8. Tom

It looks like they think the way to beat Google is ...

To release more Beta products as ready for general use.

9. Herbert Fruchtl
    Coat

The only choice in Scotland

Credit where it's due: for years, Windows Live has shown our area with reasonable accuracy. Google still thinks the interesting part of the world ends at the Forth (i.e. with Edinburgh).

This was an invitation to cheap quips for the less intelligent readers. It's the one with the tartan...

10. Jodo Kast
    Alert

Bring back XP for respect

Until then, get used to being ignored.

As a .NET developer, I'm fine with the development tools. Server OSs are fine.

But desktop OS? Web content? Not interested. I'm concentrating on keeping my XP Media Center up and running, and visiting websites that don't change every 6 months because a new manager decides its time for a new direction.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Out of date

They've only just started building the Gherkin according to Live maps.

12. steve
    Alert

One up to MS?

Out in the midst of nowhere, (Shropshire actually), Google maps have my estate in 1999, and until very recently couldn't even be bothered with the same image resolution as the rest of the country gets.

At least Live maps show 2006, which is about as up to date as anything Microsoft puts out.

13. Miladin Miladinoski
    Gates Horns

Microsoft spam

My hotmail inbox is filled with MS spam propaganda, like "new Live Spaces", "new Windows Live" et cetera. I use it only for MSN, and I don't give it anywhere, but it keeps getting this stupid Microsoft spam.

14. RW
    Coat

MS Map of Myanmar better than Google's

Lots more place names. If you're trying to work out the route of one of Frank Kingdon-Ward's plant hunting treks, MS's map is more useful than Google's.

Indeed, that's a great failing of Google Maps: the labelling of geographic features (e.g. mountain peaks) is poor to nonexistent, and the marking of watercourses so inconsistent as to be useless. Try working out the exact path of the Irradwaddy River, for example.

Or go to Oregon and note that the Illinois River which sweeps around the foot of Eight Dollar Mountain is unmarked on the terrain view. Useless!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't understand the title

Do you mean "Microsoft waves updated Maps and Hotmail at customers"?

We're seeing this more and more in Newspaper headlines and it just doesn't make any sense.

16. Andrew Campbell
    Coat

My postcode

Hmm, maybe the maps are a little out of date, if I zoom into my postcode it shows a guy in a loin cloth being chased by a wolly elephant.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@My postcode

I tried that with my postcode and the image showed a guy in a loincloth being chased by a tyranasaurusrex. Looks like Darwin was wrong after all and creationists were right.

18. Paul
    Gates Halo

Live Maps is quite good actually

Actually, aerial photography of my house only appears on Live Maps and not on Google. I also think Microsoft's maps are of general higher quality than Google's.

As for Hotmail spam filtering - I actually think their spam filtering is TOO strong - I often get a lot of false positives in my "Junk email" folder.

19. Jon Leighton
    Joke

Junk

My update email ended up in the Junk Folder!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like