Sony has gotten all bent out of shape over OLED screens and given gadget fans a sneak preview of its curved organic LED display. Sony_curved_OLED Sony's curved OLED on display in Japan Images courtesy of Engadget The 0.3mm-thick screen’s on show at the CEATEC show in Japan. Unfortunately, nothing’s known about the screen’s …
All very clever, but does anyone else wish they'd just put their efforts into making these reasonably sized and reasonably priced? Sooner we can dump LCD for good, the better.
Hasn't it only been a decade or since Sony, etc. phased out curved screens (on CRTs, back in the day). Seems we have come full circle.
GS wrote, "Hasn't it only been a decade or since Sony, etc. phased out curved screens (on CRTs, back in the day). Seems we have come full circle."
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm or have you missed the point of curved OLED? CRT's were convex until Sony overcame this undesirable problem with FST. Curved OLED's are concave and have been developed like that by design to give a more immersive experience to the viewer. (Think miniature IMax).
Gareth, I think you may have misunderstood Sony's intention for the curved OLED. It is to demonstrate a technological achievement rather than an example of future monitors to come. This ability to bend the OLED panel will lend to future placements of OLED on various surfaces.
- Breaking news: Google exec veep in terrifying SKY PLUNGE DRAMA
- Geek's Guide to Britain Kingston's aviation empire: From industry firsts to Airfix heroes
- Analysis Happy 2nd birthday, Windows 8 and Surface: Anatomy of a disaster
- Google CEO Larry Page gives Sundar Pichai keys to the kingdom
- Something for the Weekend, Sir? SKYPE has the HOTS for my NAKED WIFE