The provisional launch date of space shuttle Atlantis on its STS-125 mission to service the Hubble Space Telescope has been postponed from 10 to 14 October due to the knock-on effects of Hurricane Ike. Ike forced the closure of NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston, resulting in a "lost week of training and mission preparation …
Let's hope the Chinese don't get there first and find out where we've really been pointing it!
(speaking of which - herbal space-sickness medicine!? hardly space-age is it!)
Not *totally* off-topic
Megan McArthur is definitely an AILF! Ay Carumba!
I for one..
.. wish them a safe journey.
Replacing the crappy < 0.64Mpix cams with a giant 16Mpix one, imagine the difference! And the stuff we already had was cool. New batteries, spectrograph, some blankets, new gyroscopes but disturbingly.. a hook with which to send it into the atmo' once it's reached it's end.
This makes me sad. This is a piece of heritage we should hold on to for as long as possible. Shunt it into a high orbit? Tether it to the ISS or something? Burning it up seems like a tragedy, hoepfully once the new shuttles or whatever are in service we can preserve it or art least keep it functioning indefinitely. Just because there will be a replacement soon doesn't mean we should destroy it.
And MacArthur looks much nicer with her hair grown out. But yeah, PhD in space, nice possibilities :)
- +Analysis Microsoft: We're making ONE TRUE WINDOWS to rule us all
- Climate: 'An excuse for tax hikes', scientists 'don't know what they're talking about'
- Apple: We'll unleash OS X Yosemite beta on the MASSES July 24
- Yorkshire cops fail to grasp principle behind BT Fon Wi-Fi network
- White? Male? You work in tech? Let us guess ... Twitter? We KNEW it!