back to article Mitsubishi electric car to get Iceland test run in 2009

It's not just New Zealanders who'll see Mitsubishi's electric i MiEV gently humming its way around their roads next year - Icelanders will too. Representatives of Iceland's Ministry of Industry, Energy and Tourism this week shook hands with the Mitsubishi executives on deal that will see "fleet testing" of the zero-emission cars …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Go

first

Country to be 100% renewable electric. They are lucky in that they sit over lots of easy to get to geothermal sites. That is from memory. Also not easy to move there. They got a good thing going and why share it with the rest of the insane world. Too bad about the trees tho. I hope I am not getting some of this mixed up with Greenland. If so..Sorry Iceland.

Silver badge
Unhappy

Cost of beer

"It cuts both ways, though - we pay less for a pint of beer, which sets your average Icelandic boozer back just over £3.60."

That would seem about average for most Islington pubs....

Steven R

Correction Petrol Price

21 / 09 2009

95 octain 163.10 (cheapest gasolin) -

168.3 isk kr. to the pound ---

ie - 0.96 £ to the liter ...

Silver badge

Where are the details?

How big is it ? How fast is it ? Will it get you to the local shops and back without an eighteen hour recharge?

And , fairly important, will the batteries explode? As statistics show exploding batteries can interfere with normal health.

I looked at the link above, no more info' there than here. Is it a secret?.

Pirate

Correction

The common price of Petrol in Iceland is actually around 163IKR per litre wich is around 98p per litre due to the lovely devaluation of the Icelandic Krona.

ari
Stop

Bottled water?

WTF does the price of bottled water have to do with it?

Nobody in Iceland would buy that crap as the whole country is full of natural springs an easy to get boreholes down to cold water level. Then you just bore a bit deeper and get hot water as well.

Lonely planet guide book not just wrong (fuel price) but also pointless.

Bronze badge

Surly you mean petrol

or are you talking about LPG?

"gas is only 79p a litre"

Black Helicopters

@Chris G

This is the second MiEV article in El Reg - IIRC the earlier one was by Lewis Page.

As for many details being a secret - we know where you live and are monitoring all your calls. We trust that we won't need to pay you a visit ....... as long as you keep quiet .....

£1.68 for a cup of coffee

Sounds like a bargain compared to most of London.

Anonymous Coward

Gas in iceland

I am looking out the window at 185 isk per liter of gas , and 189 for diesel.

which works out to about $8.40 US$ per gallon.

Anonymous Coward

Will it perform in extreme cold weather?

I hear that Iceland has some pretty cold weather in the winter time. I also understand that battery charge is reduced signficantly in cold temperature. Will this vehicle be able to withstand the winters?

Anonymous Coward

Gas or petrol?

As the writer makes English comparisons I assume he means CNG or something similar (NZ used to use a lot of that stuff instead of petrol too when I was there). So, author, is that right and hence the corrections by others?

O
Thumb Up

iMIEV

This will be the first truly practical and mass-market electric city-car, at the leading edge of a coming wave of them. It's cheap to buy and cheap to run.

I want one. Now.

Flame

What kind of gas?

Helium? Argon? Neon? Krypton? Maybe Radon?

Unhappy

Why Reg? WHY?

Why do journo's always compare oil/fuel with bottled water/milk? Can I run my car on milk? No! So I don't care. Bottled water is a waste of resources, turn a tap on you morons! All the petrolium going to make plastics isn't helping the oil barrel prices i guess.

But hey, until my can run on 'bottled water' then I suppose I'll keep reading about the price difference. Because it's as relevant as comparing the price of a nipple ring, and a trip to the moon.

Unhappy

for the record...

unleaded petrol is £1.15 per litre from the local petrol station here in brum (middle of england).

Bronze badge

They have roads in Iceland

Thought they flew everywhere.

(Written by Reg staff)

@All

gas = gasoline = petrol

Sufficient numbers of Brits use the Americanism now for these words to be interchangeable.

Discuss.

M
Joke

Hang on

I thought that everything in Iceland was powered by Kerry Katona's supremely smug sense of satisfaction and perceived self worth?

And pikey frozen food.

Stop

MMmmMMmmm

Mud baths ... and no tipping

@Tony .. like feck it does.

gas != a liquid ... bloody obvious innit

Bronze badge

Re: @All

I've never heard a Brit refer to petrol as "gas".

joi

Icelandic americanisms...

When Icelanders say "gas" they mean unleaded petroleum. This country is hopelessly "Americanated" after fifty years of US occupation. They're gone now, thank God and good riddance.

Bronze badge
Dead Vulture

@Tony Smith

Gas == LPG

Gas ~= Methane

Gas != Petrol

End.

Flame

Tesco test run?

Surely Icelanders cannot afford these

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums