back to article Retailers predict price-led Xbox 360 sales surge

Microsoft’s recent decision to cut the price of the Xbox 360 range will fuel UK sales, according to execs at some of Blighty’s biggest electronics retailers. Tricia Brennan, MD of Game UK, said in an interview with GamesIndustry.biz that the console’s new price points mean that all three models now appeal to a wider variety of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Paris Hilton

Hmm, usual MS spin...

Funny, this just seems like usual Microsoft late summer spin.

Actually in the UK, there is stagnent demand for 360. Retailers have massive amounts of overstock, there are huge numbers of used consoles in Game/Gamestation, that nobody wants for some strange reason (would you buy a used 360, I surely wouldn't, the new ones are bad enough).

The 360's reputation is in tatters in Europe, with the seemingly never ending hardware revisions, none of which actually fix RROD, the noisy and unreliable DVD drives, are perhaps most importantly, the constant price reaming from Microsoft, for things everyone else gives for free (online, Wifi, both free on Wii/PS3, HDD and Blu-ray both on PS3 for free).

Aside from Gears2, I don't see much else that's a must-have game this year. There are many titles that Microsoft are talking up (Viva Pinata, Fable 2, Banjo-Kazooie, Lips, Scene It), but they reality is, either nobody is actually interested, or they are sub-standard ripoffs of established Playstation franchises.

All I can think, is retailers are talking up the 360, in the hope it spurs on sales, in what is looking like a lacklustre xmas sales period for retail.

Paris, because she is also confused, between what retailers are saying, and what is actually happening.

Flame

You're not a...

Sony employee by any chance, are you AC? I'd be interested to hear what franchise Viva Pinata ripped of, in particular. As a long-time PC gamer / short-time Wii gamer who's just invested in a 360, I for one wouldn't consider the PS3 until it can deliver decent cross-platform titles and some decent IP. The 360 certainly has its faults, but it remains an appealing proposition for gamers - ie me.

Coat

re: You're not a...

No, I am not a Sony employee (funny, anytime someone disses the 360, it's the first accusation, yet when someome disses the PS3, it's never brought up...)

Viva Pinata == Poor mans Animal Crossing

Banjo-Kazooie == Poor mans Ratchet & Clank

Scene It == Poor Mans Buzz!

Lips == Poor Mans Singstar

Fable 2 == Poor Mans Folklore

Forza == Poor Mans Gran Turismo

The list is endless. As for the claim that multiplatform games are better on 360. Are you still stuck on 2007? Look at all this years releases, all better on PS3. Clearly you won't agree as you have just wasted your money on a 360, that's almost certain to fail in a month or two.

Anonymous Coward

its a sodding console not a work of art

For what its worth I've flogged my PS3 on ebay as has the 15year old. Why? cos we both prefer the xbox360 experience. Its one of the few things we do agree on. Wierd how some people invest so much emotional capital into a cheap bit of electronics.

Unhappy

"You get what you pay for" as MS once said

On Kelkoo just now

MS XBox 360 Arcade costs £160

Sony PS3 80GB costs £300

incl del and from an online shop not some ebay account.

"You get what you pay for" as MS once said - Admittedly, this was originally aimed at Netscape in the browser wars. However, it's still true applied to hardware with tangible costs (see the current plethora of MS HDD woe stories doing the rounds for the original Xbox).

So the biggest defining factor over the XBox 360 that the PS3 has is the BluRay player. This is not a trivial thing, because even if you don't intend to play it yourself, it's a great excuse to the significant other to get this device into the living room.... I did the same for the PS2 and it's built in DVD playback.

Unfortunately I have a CRT TV in perfect working order so unless it "fails" soon, or I bite the bullet and go Projector, I don't see myself getting a PS3 soon regardless... No point getting HD gaming if I can't see HD!

Thumb Down

NO SH*T!

OMG, CHEAPER PRICES = BIGGER DEMAND.

WOW, i should write articles for this site, i mean come on.

they didnt put the price down for fun

Flame

Fire Sale!!!!

Every man and his dog has been playing up the story of Xbox outselling PS3 for weeks now, and in all that time not one of the Xbox variants has made much of a dent in the top 50 sellers in either amazon(uk) or amazon(US). I check every day cos I find it sadly interesting. It's plain old BS and MS thinks it can spoon it out, because we'll all lap it up with a smile.

I own a PS3, but I wish success for Xbox, Wii and all because with the competition, lies the hope of reduced prices and perhaps I'll pick up and Xbox now (though not just yet. I want to see that the RROD has be sorted first).

Either way with cost reducing as they are, we're all winners... except thos poor suckers that "wanted it now, I SAID NOW".

Gates Halo

@First AC

You're an idiot.

Viva Pinata == Poor mans Animal Crossing

Animal Crossing being a well established Sony brand then? Next you'll be telling me that the Zelda tune should have been played at the Malaysian PS3 launch.

Banjo-Kazooie == Poor mans Ratchet & Clank

Yeah thats right because Ratchet & Clank was around before Banjo wasn't it?

Scene It, Lips, Forza

Already proven to be miles better than the Sony counterparts you mentioned. FAIL

Fable 2 == Poor Mans Folklore

Give it up!!! You're digging a large trench and are proving you haven't even played the games you criticise!!!

You really are an idiot Mark.

Go

@Charles Tsang

Amazon have a 720p (and that's all you get out of 95% of games) projector for under £400. You know it makes sense. Or at least more sense than replacing a perfectly good CRT with an LCD that costs twice that, and still has a screen size half what the projector would do.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums