IBM is trying to make it easier for customers to manage complex, virtualized AIX servers and has therefore created a new variant of its AIX 6.1 platform - dubbed Enterprise Edition - that includes AIX add-ons and separately sold Tivoli systems management programs. It's all rolled up into a single instance - and with a discount …
Isn't that like a polished turd?
DB2 - Only on AIX - I think NOT.
Your inference that DB2 was only available on AIX is incorrect. DB2 in also on all UNIXs and LINUX.
Incorrect comment - Correct term is Live Application Mobility
"The key WPAR program that IBM is adding into the Enterprise Edition release is called Workload Partition Manager, which was previously an add-on product, and this is what allows AIX WPARs and their workloads to be teleported from one physical machine to another using what IBM calls Live Partition Mobility."
Live Partition Mobility - Introduced with Power6 systems and migrates the entire partition including the OS. It is initiated and managed by the HMC (Hardware Management Console)
Live application mobility - migrates a WPAR to another machine or LPAR, feature of AIX 6 (and can thus be done even on Power4 or Power5 systems)
Why pay for a meal
...when you can have a free one (e.g. Solaris)
And Mainframe, also Windows and iSeries as well IIRC.
- Does Apple's iOS 7 make you physically SICK? Try swallowing version 7.1
- Pics Indestructible Death Stars blow up planets with glowing KILL RAY
- Hands on Satisfy my scroll: El Reg gets claws on Windows 8.1 spring update
- Video Snowden: You can't trust SPOOKS with your DATA
- 166 days later: Space Station astronauts return to Earth