back to article Android springs to life next week

T-Mobile has been sending out press invitations to the launch of its Android-powered handset, confirming that all will be revealed on Tuesday next week. The handset was glimpsed last Tuesday, at a Google Developer Day in London where it emerged from the pocket of Google's Mike Jennings, and unsurprisingly bears a remarkable …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Stephen Taylforth

Wot no cynicism ?

Given prime material like this, I think a cynicism fest was in order.....

2. David Kelly
    Thumb Down

interface

No way this thing will compete with the iPhone with that horrid interface. Take the zooming on the browser, for example. Those plus / minus buttons get in the way of the content, and the whole thing looks kinda awkward. And why is it so sluggish?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Linear animations

Look, we don't let programmers draw icons anymore. Artists draw them now. Don't let programmers do animations, they're not cartoonists, they're not ergonomicists, they always end up doing linear animations.

And that guy doing the presentation needs a dose of enthusiam.

4. Ed
    Paris Hilton

YouTube movie....

...has disappeared !

5. GrantK
    Thumb Up

Compete with iPhone?

It does not have to be better than the iPhone, it just needs to be better value for money. I will wait for the price plans before making the decision...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

offered only on T-Mobile?

Ah the benefits of an open platform.

7. David Hicks
    Unhappy

Sauce?

Where's the source luke?

Some of us want to hack it to run on other things.

8. Scott van Looy
    Alert

Fantastic

I'm the one who took the video - it's really not sluggish when you watch it live. And the + and - zooming isn't as counter intuitive as you might think - the layer only appears when you touch the screen and it's semi transparent.

Basically it's the iphone but built on top of linux and using open source technology and NO appstore. I was very impressed with stuff like the browser supporting position:fixed and fixed backgrounds

When you move between screens the desktop wallpaper moves too, at half the speed of the icons, giving it a nice 3d feel...

Anyone interested in playing with it can go here:

http://code.google.com/android/download.html

and download the emulator, which is in effect the entire OS in a VM...

9. Aremmes
    Thumb Down

Mobile apps

"[T]he ability to add apps has never been a killer feature for mobiles in the past outside of the enterprise."

Mostly because mobile phone companies require customers to agree to a dual-handed fisting before they're allowed to install 3rd-party apps on their phones. And pay an exorbitant price, too.

10. Steven Raith
    Thumb Up

SDK

Just for reference, the SDK is a piece of piss to set up.

Now I just have to teach myself Java, and find something I want to write.

Other than an accelerometer based breast animation, obviously.

Steven R

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like