Little did I know when I wrote this - Should we quietly look out for EMC to announce VMware Cloud Edition? - that one week later it would do just that with VMWare's vCloud initiative. The vCloud initiative federates compute capacity on demand between virtual datacenters and cloud service providers. VMware is expanding its …
Seems the virtual world has been floating about and under-utilized. Of course, a truly worldwide depression might, well, depress the virtual world. So to speak.
A recession cuts both ways
a recession will limit some entrants to large datacenter virtualisation, but in thne same way that many companies wnating to cut their massive server sprawl spend go to VMware to get rid of existing hardware and cut future purchases, perhaps the cloud initiative will allow more customers to readily get VMs on demand from thrid parties without buying the hardware themselves.
Smart play alright - yet as of Sep 16 19:44 GMT, VMW is down $2.48 - I'd have thought releases liek this and the storage API control would push shares the other way. maybe tomorrow when slower websites and mailouts process this.
- Product round-up Coming clean: Ten cordless vacuum cleaners
- Product round-up Too 4K-ing expensive? Five full HD laptops for work and play
- 'Regin': The 'New Stuxnet' spook-grade SOFTWARE WEAPON described
- Review We have a winner! Fresh Linux Mint 17.1 – hands down the best
- Worstall @ the Weekend BIG FAT Lies: Porky Pies about obesity