back to article University offers one-day Jedi course

Queen's University Belfast will in November open its doors to 30-40 wannabe Jedi knights with a one-day course entitled "Feel the Force: How to Train in the Jedi Way." The blurb explains that the training on offer "teaches the real-life psychological techniques behind Jedi mind tricks*, and examines the wider issues behind the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mike Crawshaw
    Thumb Down

I'm no Hutt...

but that Jedi Mind Trick didn't work on me... Trilogy 2 was the movie equivalent of the content of Jabba's toilet after a particularly nasty curry & guiness session the night before.

Back to the point, though: no lightsabre = not interested!!

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    Paris Hilton

Oh, I dunno.

If enough punters queue up to line his pockets to the tune of 23 quid a pop, *that's* the Jedi Mind Trick that I'd be most interested in learning.

Paris, as I'm now wondering what else you can get for 23 quid.

3. Leigh Smith

Really?

I think you will have to go a very long way to find any Star Wars fans who think the prequels are as good as the originals. Probably to a galaxy far far away.

4. Martin Lyne
    Coat

I..

.. have long been a trekkie and all round sci-fi fan, but managed not to see the original trilogy until I was about 16, whereby I was thoroughly disappointed. Luke being a girly, boring hero. The newer films were interesting but not great. More lightsabre fights = win.

Rather watch Babylon 5 (minus Crusade which managed to look worse than it's parent series and also shun most of the races and lore for lacklustre weekly monster tripe)

Jedis are the best and most salvagable element of Star Wars, some of the games are great..

What was I doing again?

5. Ian Ferguson
    Thumb Down

Attract younger people?

Haven't they noticed that the hardcore Star Wars fans are in their mid thirties and rising? Try showing the original films to the younger generation and they'll laugh their socks off, before flicking back over to Finding Nemo. And as many original Star Wars fans will eloquently put, the newer trilogy will have not have the lasting impact on people's lives as the originals did. Box office and merchandising figures are a short term deal.

6. sam

oh well

Its no less legitimate than university courses on wine tasting.

7. Christoph

If you want to learn real Jedi tricks ...

... this is not the course you're looking for.

8. Robert Grant

NLP by any other name...

...and no, not the Prolog sort of NLP.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No Lightsabres

I very much suspect that for most people it will just mean a case of BYO.

10. Matthew
    Alien

Jedi Mind Tricks

These are not the humorous Friday afternoon comments you are looking for. Move along.

11. Louis

Lightsabers...

Until they make one which I can cut through anything with, and not some shitty plastic replica that has a crappy light inside to make it "glow just like the real thing!", I'm not even remotely interested...

Tossers spend billions on making flying fortresses, when they could do something much more useful - creating a more elegant weapon for as more civilized age...

12. mutt1170
    Heart

@ Christoph

"this is not the course you're looking for"

Laugh?

I nearly splottzed on my keyboard!!

13. Rachel
    Heart

@ Anonymous Coward

Of course I'd bring my own lightsaber. It would be a necessary part of the Jedi outfit I would of course show up in - I've worn a Jedi Knight costume to University classes on days that weren't Halloween or anything special (I had REALLY run out of clothes that were clean enough to be worn in public) and people's reactions were hilarious enough to repeat the stunt on a yearly basis. Therefore, I'd jump at the chance to have a legitimate excuse to wear it.

In any case, I'd totally go. I was young enough to be in the target audience for the new movies, but I still love the originals way more and think they were some of the best movies ever, I still think the new ones were mostly crap except for the lightsaber battles and the part where Ewan McGregor was Obi-Wan, and I still think George Lucas ruined my childhood when he made Greedo shoot first.

14. Paddy Newman
    Coat

that youtube guy..

i reckon the fat star wars kid has applied already...

mines the one with the ticket to the death star

15. mutt1170
    Paris Hilton

@Rachel

"I still think George Lucas ruined my childhood when he made Greedo shoot first."

Followed at a close second by giving the roadblocking FBI agents walkie talkies!!!!

Damn Revisionists!!!!! (Spielberg we're looking at you too!!)

Paris, 'cos I doubt she has clue one about any sort of Revising!

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

discrimination?

I don't see a Sith course listed. Although there would be a limit of one place so perhaps its already booked up.

17. Bob Scratchit
    Alien

I ....

have a bad feeling about this.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spaced...

"The phantom manace was 18 months ago."

"I know, Bilbo, but it still hurts."

Also.

"Jah Jah Binks makes the Ewoks look like fucking Shaft."

That is all.

19. Craig Vaughton
    Coat

No Lightsabres!

"Kooky religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster kid!"

20. Tim
    Boffin

The Jedi Mind Trick?

The closest we can get to that is bull$hitting with conviction! That and mimic the body language of the mark.

Of course the jedi knights didn't have the awesome power that is the mobile phone, who needs the force?

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Rachel

> I'd totally go.

No need. By the sound of it, you've totally gone already.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Midichlorians

I thought Lucas explained to us in the prequels that in fact the force was due to microbes? Theres no mind tricks at all :)

Paris, because she felt the disturbance of a million voices crying out in terror...

23. Kevin
    Flame

Ummm...

"It is also about the sociological and political issues that are addressed in the films."

uhh I thought that was Star Trek that went into dept on those Star Wars was more for people that like walking teddy bears, light saber fighting, and can't stand sociopolitical dept in a movie. So says everyone I know in their reasons for hating Star Trek and loving Star Wars, and vice versa.

24. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Happy

Don't be too proud of this technological terror you call "El Reg" Admiral...

It is nothing compared to the power of the force.

25. James Cleveland

Re: Attract younger people?

Remember, people are stupid now.

26. Gis Bun
    Alien

For the young kids?

I don't know but my nephew [born in 1996] seemed to like the recent SW trilogy more than the originals. Maybe the new ones are less campy. For him, you'd call up in the afternoon but he's busy watching one of the movies. Call back after supper and he's still watching them. Or playing one of the games....

27. Aditya Krishnan
    Jobs Horns

Mind Tricks?

Darth Jobs seems to do some pretty good mind tricks... witness the iPhone.

28. Franklin

So, on this Jedi training...

...do they teach impotent, narcissistic naval-gazing of the sort that allows a galactic coup to take place right under the noses of these new Jedi masters?

Just, y'know, wondering.

The Jedi Knights: the chihuahuas of the galaxy. Lots of noise, no bite.

29. Kevin Kitts
    Happy

Speaking of Huttese...

(phonetically) bahngo wahn checo bahm ooh, loser.

Those who are strong in the Force are not Jedi, nor Sith. They're physicists.

30. Jodo Kast

As someone who has never lost his youthful spirit

I can tell you that the latest trilogy is a perfect match to the original trilogy.

If you were born today and in 12 years watched all 6 movies, you wouldn't have any idea what the deal was.

The reason why people agree with the author about EP1-3? It is 100% based on their expectation that EP1-3 would be similar to EP4-6.

This is not the case at all; that's what war does to the galaxy. It stripped it down to nothing...

31. CTG
    Happy

No tricks needed

Lucas didn't need mind tricks to get people to go and see parts I to III. He knew that most Star Wars fans were like Comic Book Guy: "Worst. Star Wars movie. Ever. I shall only see it three more times. Today."

32. Chris G

Feel the farce, the farce is strong

And in Belfast!

33. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Obi-Wan has taught you well....

And I see you picked up a second in English literature too!

34. Stewart Haywood
    Alien

You might laugh but.........

have you seen what Derren Brown can do to peoples minds. I think he is a Jedi.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

I'd go but

there is nothing on the Queen's Uni website about it - where do you sign up for it?

Paris - she has you all fooled into thinking she's just a dumb blonde - you should she her using my light sabre !!!

36. This post has been deleted by its author

37. Robert Ramsay

Of *course* they don't provide lightsabres!

everyone knows that you're not a proper Jedi unless you build your own!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like