back to article Morgan Stanley gets spectrum grab bag gig

Ofcom, the UK regulator, has appointed the investment bank Morgan Stanley to promote international interest in the digital dividend, ahead of the auction planned for 18 months' time. The bank won the contract on the grounds of their contacts at telecoms companies in the US and Asia, who might be encouraged to snap up a chunk …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom

Yay!

Lets sell off some more of our bandwidth midway through a recession! Hopefully we can shift this lot for a record low!

Oh wait, we wanted high prices? SNAP

2. Mike Bronze badge
    Happy

percentage

Doing my calculations, a population of slightly over 60 million means I own just under a 60 millionth of it, so if the 4 billion price is right then that makes my share either £66 or £66,666 depending on if you used short or long scale (I hope the latter). I can take cash but I'd prefer a cheque.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

record low

well, selling it off for a record low will perhaps mean that whoever ends up buying it won't have to pass the costs along to their customers! £4 billion is a bit much!

assume it's bought up by some ISPs to provide wireless internet access (a likely option), let's pretend they do really really well and they get not far off of a million customers (unlikely, as many will have multiple people in the house on the connection, and most will be on other ISPs, but assume this as absolute best case) that's an extra £1,000 per customer, before they've even started putting in any equipment - bare in mind it's unlikely they would get anywhere near that many customers so realistically you're looking at much more per customer...

let's hope it sells for 50p, I want my 100Mbit while driving down the motorway to be cheap!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Yay!

Let's completely bollox the future expansion of Freeview by selling off large chunks of the spectrum it would use.

Thank you Ofcom, I'm so glad you're looking after our interests there, and aren't just out to make a quick buck flogging off the family silver...

5. n
    Thumb Down

off con

"whats that sir, free use of your own spectrum?, you obviously didn't get the memo we sent to the radio hams and cb radio users......it went something like this.....get off our spectrum!....the citizens don't own it anymore, we the government own it so we can sell it to private companies who will then sell it back to you to make a profit."

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like