back to article American Airlines typo dispatches corpse to Guatemala

A Brooklyn widower is rattling the sabre of litigation at American Airlines after it sent the body of his deceased wife to Guatemala, rather than her native Ecuador. Miguel Olaya's wife Teresa died in March at the age of 57, and he accordingly asked DeRiso Funeral Home in Bay Ridge to make arrangements for her body to touch …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jay Castle
    Coat

You have to see this one coming.....

The airline should definately receive a stiff punishment..... *snigger*

Mine's the one being worn by the rotting corpse in coach...

2. MrGutts
    Unhappy

So Wrong

This is so wrong on so many levels. This is another reason why the Government should have let them go bankrupt and yet they bailed them out. Incompetent airlines, you gotta love them..

I am sorry for the family that had to deal with this bullshit.

3. Stuart
    Coat

Airlines

Sheesh, if they aren't loosing their luggage it is their passengers.

These airlines will be the death of me.

Mine is the one with embalming fluid in the pocket (100ml only of course)

4. Sam

Could have been worse

Could have been Guantanamo..

5. James Bassett
    Happy

Revenge

Looks like mamma got her revenge from beyond the grave by seeding that old Chapter 11 story on Google yesterday!

6. Dr. Mouse

@Sam

Funny thing... thats what I saw when I read it first time.

"American Airlines typo dispatches corpse to Guantanamo"

Thought this would be a story about a corpse being accused of Terrorism(tm), maybe by haunting a US military base. Well ghosts have been seen by more people than the WMDs Sadam was supposed to have had...

7. Alistair
    Coat

Well that explains one thing

American Airlines in-flight meals are often rotten to the point of being unfit for human consumption. Maybe they were conducting "Resident Evil"-inspired experiments on the unfortunate deceased, to see if the unpalatable foodstuffs were acceptable to him/it?

Mines the one with zombie-retardant impregnated lapels.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Now we're losing bodies?

They lose the body and penalize the family for it? What the hell?

Apparently the only brain they have is the result of their head being permanently shoved up their ass.

9. Geoff Kennedy
    Joke

I can see AA's side of this

Afterall, the peon who entered the data is probably union. The contract probably dictates that they can only type 3 characters per airport.

Changing the GUA to GYA requires a total of 7. Obviously the $321 is the union penalty owed to the employee. AA was simply passing their costs of doing business along to the consumer.

10. kain preacher

Geoff Kennedy

"Afterall, the peon who entered the data is probably union. The contract probably dictates that they can only type 3 characters per airport.

Changing the GUA to GYA requires a total of 7. Obviously the $321 is the union penalty owed to the employee. AA was simply passing their costs of doing business along "

That makes no sense at all except for the fact you hate unions

11. David Barr

At what point...

At what point would a reasonable company have said to themselves "Crap, we're totally screwed here, let's bring out the good faith cheque book and make sure the customer walks away thinking it was an innocent mistake and they've ended up better for it"

Answer? Long before this, and the end result? Hammered in court.

Capitalism works, I don't think anyone can dispute that, but it doesn't fix corporate stupidity.

Attn : Corporations. A stitch in time saves nine. Try applying that to compensation when you cock up.

I seriously hope if/when Cameron gets in the job he doesn't adopt the American Chapter 11 style bankruptcy protection he was harping on about. Companies go bust because of corporate stupidity (in which case they deserve it) or because of consumer stupidity - we always go for lowest prices, who cares how much Ryanair screw us after we buy the ticket - and in that case we deserve it. The market will always fix itself over time, but not if the government feels it must intervene. It might take a while for the market to do it, but if a government truly believes in capitalism, then for the love of money keep your fingers off and be patient.

12. GF
    Paris Hilton

Could Have Been GUM

Hey, the "baggage" was within driving distance. The bloke could have typed GUM for Guam, and it probably would have never made it back.

The fact that AA asked for $321 extra for their mistakes show AA has no heart and sole. They should go bankrupt completely.

Pretty sad all around.

At least Paris would have an excuse...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like