back to article Beeb readies iPlayer app for Nokia N96

Hot on the heels of Nokia’s N96 launch announcement, the BBC has confirmed that it’ll soon offer a purpose-built iPlayer application to N96 users. The software will enable recent BBC TV and radio content to be streamed to the Nokia phone. Although iPlayer is already available as a streaming service to iPhone and iPod Touch …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James Pickett (Jp)

ipod

The streaming on the ipod touch looks very nice, so a nice bonus feature for N96 users.

It's a shame they didn't give Touch users the option to download though, as I'd really only use it out and about!

2. Iain Croll
    Jobs Horns

iPhone only allows streaming with a Wifi connection

So although it sounds great - it's actually not that useful. If I have a wifi connection most of the time that's for a short period at a cafe or something either that or I'm at home - in which case I'll use my laptop with the 13" screen over the iPhone

3. Tim Cook
    Stop

Why

The BBC made Iplayer compatible with the Iphone a year ago - has it really taken them a year to add one other phone to that list?

Why is this application specific to the N96, and not S60/Symbian phones in general (of which there are about a squillion)? What about other platforms like Windows Mobile - developing an Iplayer app for either S60 or WM would add many more users overnight.

The Iplayer is a license-fee funded service, and should not be used as a niche feature in the marketing of one or two high-profile products like the Iphone and N96. Either make it a truly mobile service available to as many different phones as possible, or just don't bother - leave it as web only!

4. Benny
    Thumb Down

How about

we get it workin gon Linux and OSX first, rather than bloody mobile phones!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

make one for WM phones

and I won't think that the beeb are just being paid to do these and actually are delivering their service to licence payers like me.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

so its windows and mobiles ?

What about mac and linux

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: How about

Maybe because there's more people with a Symbian mobile phone than there are who use Linux

8. Karim Bourouba

@Tim Cook

Is not the N96 the latest version of Symbian for Nokia smartphones?

If this is the case, then it is possible earlier versions will not support it...

9. Richard Kilpatrick

iPlayer doesn't work on Mac?

Wow. How on earth did I keep up with the last six months or so of TV, then?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Go

re re: How about

Maybe because there's more people with a Symbian mobile phone than there are who use Linux ??

Are you 100% sure about this ?

Symibian mobile phone users who actually use it for net too ? ahem i doubt this to be a real factor

Most of these people carrying these phones are doing it to impress their mates more than likely they would use their PC to browse web than a 2 inch screen to browse

For all you bafoons out there when the net came out there was 3 platforms Windblows Linux and Macs

Good Software creators Create for all 3 bad s/w writers make it for what they use and ignore rest..

Regardless of wether i use Linux or windblows I pay tv license so hey for my money i would also like to view BBCILacker on my Linux Desktop Cos I will refuse to support Microsoft

Comprende ?

11. Andy Nugent

re: Why

The N96 is S60 3.0 feature pack 2 and has added support for WMV9, so I'm guessing one of these means that it won't work on earlier models (probably the WMV9 support).

12. Tim Cook
    Paris Hilton

@Karim Bourouba

The N96 is the latest Nokia S60 phone, but I'm not aware of any great advance in S60 itself that makes this phone capable of using Iplayer while the others weren't. S60 is well established and has long been capable of dealing with all manner of multimedia, and DRM for that matter.

Windows Mobile is still completely ignored and Iplayer-less, despite having Windows Media support built in - why?

It just seems the BBC are only interested in jumping on high-profile bandwagons and pushing the sales of new phones rather than actually providing a public service. You just know they'll have an Iplayer support for Android before the first Dream has left the factory, and yet the perfectly capable phones that TV licence holders have in their pockets right now are being ignored. Why?

Paris, because she knows how to distribute video.

13. Benny
    Coat

@re: How about

From what I got from this article this is just for N96 phones, not Symbian phones on a whole. In which case im fairly sure that there would be more OSX/Linux computers out there than N96 phones.

14. Matt White

S60 FP2 or N96?

Dammit, I'm thinking about getting a Samsung i8510, which runs Symbian S60 FP2. Exactly the same as the N96. The Beeb should be looking at making the iPlayer available for the operating system, rather than for each specific hardware model.

Can you imagine if they came out and said it was now available for the Dell Studio Hybrid?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@Tim Cook

The iPlayer came to the iPhone/Touch on March 7th this year, so it was actually only 6 months ago.

I do not work for the BBC.

Paris, because she's wrong too.

16. Richard Hodgson
    Unhappy

Wot? N96 only?!

Seems like a massive waste of development time if they're only going to allow this to work with the Nokia N96. There are a ton of Symbian S60 phones out there, including Nokia's own very popular N95 series, that would benefit from this.

I know that it creates an additional marketing point for the N96, but there's nothing like screwing over current customers to put them off buying your product in the future.

17. Phil Lewis
    Pirate

Download the stream NOW!

I think that my blog post here: http://linuxcentre.net/?p=16 may shed some light on the upcoming N96 download service. I've determined that the stream appears to be H.264 128kbps video and AAC 64kbps. The streaming protocol is RTSP with a 3GP container. The resolution is 320x176.

I've already had it streaming and downloading on Linux with vlc and I've had others report it works out-of-the-box on several other devices including mobiles and windows :-)

I could be looking at the completely wrong stream but it seems likely to be the right one.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like