back to article My name really is Ivan O'Toole, admits Ivan O'Toole

The regular readers among you will know we're a bit fond of stories relating to parents who slap their sprogs with ill-advised or downright perverse names, as evidenced by the cases of 4Real, Metallica, @, John Blake Cusack Version 2.0, Renault Megane and, spectacularly, Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii. Well, this in-depth …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Thumb Down

Sir Conn Medic

tells me that that's not very funny at all.

Appropriate names...

I was in school with a guy whose second name was Gamble. His mother was called Betty Gamble...

and yes, she worked in a bookies office.

Unhappy

Spare a thought...

Not at all comical, but I used to know a guy by the name of Marion Wancio, needless to say the poor sod had had a stutter since childhood.

Coat

I think I'm being thick...

But I don't get it.

Kind regards

Richard Assman.

Bronze badge

better than ...

Well, better than Lon Moore, I suppose.

Anonymous Coward

HP

There's a guy at HP in the US that's called Richard Bossack but prefers to be called Dick Bossack

guess who called his son

Pilot Inspektor Riesgraf Lee

Another...

I used to work with a guy called Austin Martin

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: Another...

Clifford Edge.

I kind of like Audio Science, but Pilot Inspektor is up there with Zowie Bowie.

Paris Hilton

Real names

I've always been quite happy with mine. None of this 'name of pet and road" rubbish for some of us to come up with their pr0n star name for some of us...

Paris, because her name is more than a name too.

Happy

Names

I did some contract work for a German called Dr. A. Kunt, who joked that his brother was an Inspector in the local police.

My father went to school with a James (Jimmy) Riddle.

Happy

Funny names

In my life I've known a few good ones. As a kid I knew a guy called Peter Gotobed. Seriously! I sat next to Roger Bannister at school - although he couldn't run a mile in his life, let alone 4 minutes.

If you watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer you should spot a couple of humorous names in the titles. Brian Wankum is there from the start, and Thomas Wanker makes an appearance later on.

I knew a guy called...

Gerard King. He was insisted that his name was Gerard, not Ger... why do parents do this to their children?

Re: Another

My uncle worked in insurance for 30+ years and collected a large number of odd names. His favourite was Orson Carte.

Re: Another

Rather scarily, I just googled "orson carte" and was presented with teh following snippet

"Orson Carte, our man on the tools, ponders life's great mysteries ... Orson Carte ... Orson Carte, Security Installer columnist, writes on security ..."

Check out the shortening before naming the baby

I once knew a Joanna King who was sick of people chatting her up at parties with the opener 'You must be Jo King'.

Ivana Trump

I wonder if anyone's ever said to her, "well go ahead, don't hold it in on my account"

Just call me...

What about Randy Bender?!

Paris Hilton

I really did....

go to school with Richard Head!

Paris because, well you've seen the video...

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: Check out the shortening before naming the baby

I've met a Jo King. There's a lot of it about.

I knew an Andrew Rowsell. Mr A. Rowsell. His sister was called Louisa. Naughty, naughty parents.

Happy

least he wasn't called

Ivor Bigun

Anonymous Coward

what wrong with Ivan o toole?

I dont get it.........

I once took a support call from a Wan King

and his father was Lee King.

I also new a guy a called oliver klosov

Boffin

MY SIXTH FORM TUTOR MAY HAVE BEEN AN ALCOHOLIC

She was called Stella Foster. That much is true.

Silver badge

Don't Forget

Mike Hunt. He's actually a surgeon at a nearby hospital (but he goes by Michael, go figure).

Joke

"Sarah Bee"

I don't know, is there?

Mines the one with the green & black stripes.

Anonymous Coward

I went out with...

a girl called Shelly Beach

Jo King...

...but have you met a Wayne King???

( I haven't, but there must be one or two about )

@Dave_H

I also went to school with a Jimmy Riddle, and once worked with a Teresa Green.

My daughter went to school with a John Lennon.

Happy

I hope for the day...

we find that someone is actually called Warrick Hunt...

You don't get it?

Say it quickly...

"I've no tool"

It took a sec, but I got it. Phil McCrackin is better, imo.

When I worked in customer service, we had an account under the name of Mr. Diesel T. Truck. No shit. Diesel Truck! His middle name was "Tractor". That's right, Diesel Tractor Truck.

And he named his son "Mack".

Alert

This guy got the bird from his parents

His name was Bob O'Link. I worked with him.

Paris Hilton

I wonder if he's related...

...to Miles O'Toole.

Paris, because she's been there and done that.

Anonymous Coward

There are consequences

I knew a kid called Wayne Kingham. He had a massive chip on his shoulder and a weird superiority complex, so he always felt he had to intimidate people. Being a short-arse didn't help him, but his two big mates did. I'm pretty sure his name turned him into the dick he became, a bit sad really.

Re :Jo King

Every time I hear the end of Gardener's Question Time on Radio 4, the announcer states that the "producer was joking".

bad names

Mr and Mrs Dyck, living next door to a friend of mine, named their son Randy*. They must have really hated him.

*: Seriously. Search for "randy dyck".

Coat

I once knew..

a woman named Anne whose maiden name was Redican, which only became marginally better when she married a Merry (Meradeth) Player. My wife knew a woman called Rose Rose (her married name) and I swear I went to school with a girl called Theresa Green!

Bronze badge

At a university I attended...

...the organizational board outside the offices of the School of Public Health listed the lead researchers in the communicable diseases section as Dr. Clapp and Dr. C. D. Cox.

Joke

I bet he wished he'd been called...

miles!

IT Angle

There is a story ...

...that a GP once had to persuade Mr & Mrs Janus not to call their son Hugh.

Who cares if it's true, it's such a nice story

IT Angle

My vice principal in school was named

Anita Cox.

Anonymous Coward

More bad names

I used to work with a network engineer named Michael Kok. Yes he went by Mike. Lead to all kinds of derisive snorts and chuckles when he would join a conference call and announce himself.

Then there's also the race car driver Richard Trickle. Yes, he goes by Dick.

Thumb Up

Real Names

Patricia Hogg

Harry Cox

Richard (Dick) Eaton

David Derryberry

Patricia Screws

I went to school with all of these very warm bodies....some very warm indeed.

There is a vet out there...

...called Everard Koch.

Fine upstanding fellow too.

Thumb Up

Support call

Years back I took a call from Joy Center who lived in (wait for it..)

Climax North Carolina.

Happy

Let's not forget...

The American racecar drive, Dick Trickle.

IT Angle

We have a bloke at work...

...called Ken Hunt. We had to change his email address and username as he didn't like the regular one very much!

gaz
Paris Hilton

Couple of names

At one of the Hospitals I support, there is an estates engineer called Wayne Kerr!

Also my step daughter who is called Erin, refuses to accept my surname because it's Dawes!

Paris - cos well why not, and she has a famous name

I knew a guy...

... of very diminutive stature christened Richard. All who knew him made heroic efforts NOT to call him "little/tiny dick".

And then there was this guy in Hong Kong who thought that Ivan was a real cool christian name. Unfortunately his surname was Ho !!

However, a real cool pseudonym, most often used in various shows and conventions to fox the aggressive salespersons, is Ivor Ardon !!

yeah...

I knew a girl names Lisa in high school... last name Moorehead

I work with a guy named Mike Hundt and does go by Mike.

My name was rather the boring thing until the Friday the 13th movies came out.

Silver badge

Funny names

I kid you not, at my school there really were two pupils called Paul Styrene and Tammy Paxman - what on earth were their parents thinking about?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums