back to article Columbia set to resurrect Ghostbusters

Columbia Pictures has asked The Office co-executive producers Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky to work up a script for a third outing of Ghostbusters, Variety reports. The plan is apparently to reunite original cast Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, Bill Murray and Harold Ramis for the project. The latter has just directed comedy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Stuart
    Coat

If.....

they don't hurry up, the stars will be ghosts themselves.

Mine is the one with the unlicensed nuclear accelerator on the back.

2. Joe K
    Thumb Down

Never mind the film

Where is the game.

Damn you Activision for ditching it! It looked awesome, and has all the cast in it.

As for the film, this idea was mooted about a decade ago, the idea that the 'busters would train a hip new bunch of young hip "characters".

I hope they don't go back to this idea, it sounded awful then, and it sounds worse now that "the kidz" would be spouting iPhones and spending most of their 'bustin time on Myspace.

3. Elmer Phud

Slimed

"Hey, you just been slimed?"

"Nope, my colostomy bag is leaking again."

Now, which 'warning, old folks' sign can I put in here?

4. Galaxy Bob

Just don't cross the streams!

How apt that this story appears when they are talking about the LHC being switched on in Switzerland on Wednesday. Apparently it wouldn't be too health to cross those streams either.

5. Frank Bough
    Stop

As General Melchett said:

Good lord no.

6. Stephen Gray
    Paris Hilton

@ Galaxy Bob

As far as I'm aware crossing the streams is what they do otherwise the name Hadron Collider would be pointless.

Paris - cos I'd like to collide with her.... in my Galaxy Class Battle Star

7. Sooty

anyone else

remember the good old days when people had original ideas for films.

8. Danny

About time too

But it has to be the original cast. No point in it otherwise

9. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: anyone else

Surprisingly few films are wholly original - that goes way back, it's not a new thing. Most of them are based on plays or ancient legends or short stories or novels or other films.

Anyway, originality is overrated. Lots of really terrible art is unlike anything that went before it.

10. Tetsugaku-San
    Boffin

Isn't this a game?

The game (that is almost finished but just lost it's publisher) is supposed to be GB3 - it has the original cast in it and was scripted by Ramis etc. as far as I know - I'd rather have the game I think!

More: http://www.giantbomb.com/ghostbusters-the-video-game/61-20688/

11. jai

film?

i thought it was decided that the 3rd part would be the video game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostbusters:_The_Video_Game

all the cast are on board for it and everything and it's due out next year isn't it?

so is the film going to be the 4th part?

and isn't it a bit late? surely if there is going to be a film, you'd aim to release it next year for the 25th anniversary, but if they're only writing the script now, there's no chance it'll be out until 2010 at least earliest is there?

12. jai

re: Never mind the film

as far as i knew, the game is now being published by Sony isn't it? and due out next year to conincide with the 25th anniversary? or has it been canned again?

13. William Towle
    Happy

Re: Never mind the film

Joe K> "Where is the game"

No idea either. But you might want to check out http://www.auld-games.co.uk/auldbl0g/?p=44 in the meantime.

14. Mike Crawshaw

Overrated Originality?

"Anyway, originality is overrated. Lots of really terrible art is unlike anything that went before it."

Well said Sarah...!

Ladies and gentlemen, please direct your attention to the contents of the Tate Gallery... all the exhibits share two traits. Originality and terribleness.

15. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Overrated Originality?

>>Ladies and gentlemen, please direct your attention to the contents of the Tate Gallery... all the exhibits share two traits. Originality and terribleness.

Oof. I really wouldn't go that far. I don't think originality automatically makes things shit, just because it doesn't automatically make them good. But life is more fun when it's polarised, innit.

16. Tim
    Thumb Up

Possible story line...

The original ghost busters are now ghosts, they are wreaking havoc on NYC because they know all the new GhostBusters weakspots.

NYC gets completely slimed and there's nothing anybody can do about it.

We see lots of young folks with their jeans around their ankles, standing around with iPhones trying to upload sightings into myspace when the old GhostBusters turn poltergeist and splat them agains lady liberty!

Now that's a great film!

17. Alex Cooper
    Coat

Nice....

Well, film or game, whatever, bring it on I say, it's bound to be a bit of fun :)

Anyway, it's nearing pub o'clock so must be off, good weekend all!

Mine's the slime covered jacket.........

18. Gis Bun
    Happy

Errr.....

I'm waiting for a Ben Hur sequel.

19. Jesse
    Paris Hilton

@ Sarah; Re: anyone else

True, but actors and actresses are based on human beings, so even plays, books, and movies are likewise as unoriginal.

Just thought you'd like a taste of your own twisted context :P

Oh, and yes, I just whipped out the Paris Hilton icon on you.

20. Marty McFly Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

When everything "new" from Hollywood sux....

...."Who ya gonna call??? GHOSTBUSTERS!"

Paris cuz she is from Hollywood and she also....

21. Mr Mark V Thomas
    Coat

What about the Merchandising...?

Does this mean we get the actionfigures with accessories, bathtowels, slime (with & without worms), tents & finally the remixed theme tune on iTunes ready for download...?

Mine's the slime resistant lab coat, with the remote for the orbital laser cannon in the pocket...

22. Ishkandar

Re: Overrated Originality?

Now that you mentioned it, didn't the Tate have a pile of *REAL* shit as an original piece of art !! (note 1)

Note 1 - The words - shit and art - in this sentence are NOT, repeat NOT, transposed !!

@Gis Bun - You mean the one where Judah Ben Hur becomes a Christian, wanders off to Rome and gets fed to the lions, thereby giving them history's first ever record of the legionnaire's disease !!

23. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

this "where's the game?" nonsense

Ghostbusters on C64 was fantastic.

How about this for the new movie... The Ghostbusters now roll around on those Rascal electric scooters, with particle accelerator turrets, heads-up look-and-shoot headgear... Plus a couple of goatee-sporting 20-something Xtreme douchebags to bring in the youth demographic.

24. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Cyberghosts

They'll have to modernize it - Ghostbusters fighting ghosts in cyberspace that take control of machines and threaten to shut down the world. Maximum Overdrive meets Lain, Die Hard style, featuring Keanu Reeves and car chases with military hardware. Ow! Can't...close...eyes...tight...enough.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Never cross the streams...

When standing at urinals with strangers...

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There are only 7 story lines

And they always pit something against someting else.

So, really there is only one story line - challenge or struggle, depending upon how you see your half glass :)

There is probably something quite deep in that - I wonder who would know - maybe I should call GhostBusters or watch Much ado about nothing.

This is just a stunt to test film distribution on USB with security dongle.

Just be assured that whichever twat breaks the security dongle and goes public will not get any kudos, but the ire of most, unless they wait until this distribution is used extensively. It is like not having alcohol vending machines on the street unlike the Japanese, who know how to play the game.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Obligatiry XKCD

http://www.xkcd.com/459/ (-:

28. Scott
    Gates Halo

Where's the game?

Thye are probably basing it on the 3d engine from Duke Nukem Forever, so it should be out any minute now...

(I picked Bill, coz even he knows when it's time to quit something)

29. TheHempKnight

@Joe K

"As for the film, this idea was mooted about a decade ago, the idea that the 'busters would train a hip new bunch of young hip "characters".

This was already done in the cartoon series Extreme Ghostbusters... it still had Egon and Janine, but it was bloody awful crap pandering to demographics.

30. Justin

Who ya gonna call?

Aw, come on! It would be *simple* to both update it for the modern-day world, and still hit the most profitable range of moviegoer demographic.

Ghostbusters goes incorporated, and follows the natural conclusion for a modern business: Offshore outsourcing!

31. rick buck
    Alien

Stay-Puffed

The Stay-Puffed Man Is Back!!!

32. Robert Harrison

@Never cross the streams... By AC 02:00

"When standing at urinals with strangers..."

But you do this with people you know right? Whatever butters your bread eh.

33. Sleeping Dragon
    Coat

Do It Well...

... whether you think GB1 and GB2 were good or bad films, they defined an era in film. For those diehard who still love them, they had better produce something amazing for the third one or it's going to die.

Sure, there's going to be the high popularity simply because of the title of the film and the cult that follows it, but even the Joe Average sheep population ain't gonna forgive Hollywood for turning a great memory into a stinker.

Mine's the one covered in slime.

This topic is closed for new posts.