back to article MS doesn't set world alight with Office Live Workspace

Microsoft claimed yesterday that one million subscribers have now signed up to the beta release of Office Live Workspace. The company’s web-based suite of apps has been publicly available for six months. They allow customers to create or edit documents online, but this being Redmond, there is a caveat: a licensed copy of MS …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Gates Horns

You what?

OK, let me get this right...

You can use MS-OLW to create Office documents... as long as you already have Office running on the same PC.

What exactly is the point of that?

I can sell you a magic pebble that sits on your keyboard and lets you create MS-Office documents too (but you will have to be running MS Office at the same time)

Gates Horns

Bah!

I signed up to Microsoft Office Live, but not to use it - just to get 550 free iPoints towards a free gift of my choosing.

I've never even logged into the service (or even know how!) and I haven't got Microsoft Office either...

How many of those million punters also signed up to gain some free gift...?

Yawn!!!

Did they leave that on, bloody hell is it worth the leccy?

Thumb Down

still next to useless for anything mildly important to business?

What the funk are you talking about? On our floor we use it for masses of mission critical work, especially where collaboration is needed on the same spreadsheet or document.

It's incredibly useful: please explain yourself.

Stop

But... But...

@GettinSadda...

Of course you *can* use the copy of Word on your PC, but sorry --- that is just not cool. You see; it is not an *internet* application...

AIUI

You need Office because you edit the Office files locally and save them back to the Live Workspace. You can create RTF/text files via the browser though.

Silver badge

Re:please explain yourself

No explanation needed - as soon as your connection to Microsoft's servers fails for whatever reason (Internet down, ISP offline, Microsoft offline, virus cutting you off, DoS attack, ...), I'm sure you'll find some reasons on your own.

Anonymous Coward

ipoints

Me too :D

Not good enough...

...but not too bad, apart from being horribly slow. Slowness forced me to stop using their Office Live product, also bagger all free storage space.

As for Google. Great for kids and students and other freetards, cr@p for other business use.

MS Office is not great, Lotus Smartsuite had the best idea a decade ago then completely lost the plot, great pity.

I still run my business with Office 2003, but suggest if you want an online suite, Zoho is very good and hard to beat in that sector.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums