back to article Amazon opens (American) video streaming shop

Amazon's new streaming video storefront has gone live today, replacing the online retailer's previous attempt at vending digital video via downloads. Amazon Video on Demand arrives about two months after service was introduced as a beta build to a limited number of US customers. The store now lets users stream commercial- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. J
    Thumb Down

$3 to $4 to rent, $10 to $15 to purchase

Hell, no! That's too expensive for a download. I just rented a movie for $1.99 at a bricks and mortar video store this weekend. DVD, doble sided special edition, all kinds of crap. Why pay double for a download which will be lower quality (I'm assuming), have less features -- and not work on my Linux machines anyway? Just for the convenience of not spending the 15 minutes to go to the store? Why, a little sun is good for you, vitamin D and all that.

When they get to $1 to rent, $4 or $5 to own (without DRM crap), then I might think about it.

2. mafro

Sod The Yanks

And bloody video - when are Amazon gonna bring the MP3 Download Service to the EU??

3. W
    Stop

I lost interest at the bit that said

"the Unbox app is still required to access videos when not online".

That's not "buying". That's still renting. Just with some different licencing T&Cs attached - as the film and music companies are so keen on reminding us.

If you "buy" something, it's yours, to do with as you see fit. Anything else is a lease with conditions.

So no format shifting to PMPs then? Oh well. Maybe they'll get it right next time.

And, yes, it's far too expensive for what is simply some non-resale-able data.

Anyway, what about sorting out the UK MP3 store?

4. paul
    Thumb Down

not interested

over priced.

dubious quality.

no linux support.

why should i bother?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like