back to article Reding tells Euro MPs to back telecoms reforms

Telcoms commissioner Viviane Reding has told the European Parliament to back proposed changes to telecoms regulation across Europe. The speech called for quicker data portability, compulsory data breach laws if private information is lost, more transparent pricing structures to make life easier for consumers, and more wireless …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. john loader

And stop hiding non-EU areas within EU country plans

and the EU should make all non EU areas within Europe have their own international access codes to avois the rip offs of phoning the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands

2. amanfromMars Silver badge

A Nest of Vipers ... a Den of Thieves

"But Reding said she found it harder to understand why the Parliament had watered down proposals on data breach notification. " ......

Ok Come on, Viviane, do not be so naive. It is because there are those within the Parliament [lobbyists and agents for shadow and shadowy organisations] who are using the breached information for their own personal gains ..... and heaven forbid that Responsibility and Accountability be levied against the Parliament, which really does rather make it a Sick Joke.

You really will have to try harder to keep ahead of the Game, Ms Reding. Although you could QuITe Legitimately and Rightly say that that is an EU Wwwide Problem with a Lack of Necessary Intelligence in your Support Staff. SMARTer more Switched On Staff is therefore the Answer and a Solution. IT would then Lead to the Perception and probable Accusation that Telecoms is Leading the EU ..... which it Will. And we will all be Better Off because of IT.

Certainly the Present Snouts in the EU Trough Offer neither Real nor Virtual Leadership and one wonders why they should not do the honourable thing. And I suppose that says it all about them. No Honour.

3. Paul
    Coat

Hard to Understand?

"But Reding said she found it harder to understand why the Parliament had watered down proposals on data breach notification"

That would probably be pressure from the UK Euro-MPs

Mines the one with the lost CDs in the pocket...

4. Chris Beach

Japan?

Doesn't Japan or South Korera already have something like this?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh dear

"is why subscribers are not similarly empowered and informed, when it comes to the privacy of their personal data? "

Your last effort, dear EU Parliament, was to give in to Blair's demand to pre-emptively log everyone's communications. Now we have the UK framing that as a demand from Europe to log every communication in a CENTRAL database that can be mined by HmGov without privacy protection ('terrorist' as the excuse).

We have police forces expanding the definition of terrorism to include 'dissent' (by asserting that some dissenting republicans may lend support to terrorists, ergo all dissenting republicans should be monitored).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7559425.stm

Oh dear lord, we're led by mrucking forons.

6. Mike Crawshaw

Damn...

"The speech called for quicker data portability, compulsory data breach laws if private information is lost, more transparent pricing structures to make life easier for consumers, and more wireless broadband services to improve net access for rural types."

At times like this, she sounds halfway competent. Then I remember that she wants the called party to foot termination charges, and the illusion evaporates....

7. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects
    Paris Hilton

Who is this Reding fellow?

And has he replied to the Eurobods about their request for more information (whatever it was they required so long ago) on breaches in data security?

And can someone tell me if any of this is important?

8. Dan
    Coat

Oh no....

I understood, (and worse, agreed with) amanfrommars - the end is indeed nigh

Laws are most definitely not made for the people, the people are merely a necessary evil. The laws are made for the corporations...

9. Gordon Pryra

@amanfrommars

That is about the worst she could have said.

If she came straight out and said "Your changing this law so that you can spy on people easier" she would be out of work tomorrow.

By drawing attention to it, she allows the media to do with it as they will. In the case of El Reg, work out what she meant, in the case of "The Sun" (UK newspaper) A pair of tits on page 3.

I think Reding is doing a dammed good job so far, and is actually taking on real issues.

The average MP wont do aything if there is any risk to it at all. Reding seems to be doing the opposite.

Screw the UK and their scum feeding leadership

im European now!!

10. pctechxp
    Alert

Neither agree nor disagree

I do agree with EU policy on lower termination charges but not on the suggestion of called party pays.

On data protection, governments like our own should be forced to return taxes as a fine for losing information and this should be financed by docking our fat cat MPs pay.

By the way, I must be going mad as the comment from amanfrommars almost made since.

Think I'll have a Jack Daniel's when I go home and lay down in a darkened room.

11. amanfromMars Silver badge

Quid Pro Quo .....Quis custodiet ipsos custodes* ?

"That is about the worst she could have said." .....By Gordon Pryra Posted Wednesday 3rd September 2008 11:42 GMT

Or the best, by drawing our attention to it, Gordon. Sweet Naivety can be such a Powerful Plausibly Deniable Admonishment in Hostile Surroundings. If that be the Case, then are Communications Secured with an AIR Bridge/Virtual Semantic ConneXXXXIon ...... which they are anyway.

A Little something for the EU EPSO Development Programme to XXXXPect for Funding. In Fact they should already have "An Expression of Interest " sent ...Tue 02/09/2008 14:11

* Who watches the watchmen?

12. AJ
    Stop

@ Gordon Pryra

Me Too, Least she is tacking the issues faced in this area unlike the UK who bury their head in the sand and OFCOM is as useful as a chocolate fire guard!

Sometimes this woman speaks utter balls like the whole termination charge for people to cough up who is recieving the call, but things like reduced roaming charges on calls, planned reducion on SMS, and Data roaming charges, reduction in termination charges companies charge each other is all good - I also like the idea of a EU wide emergency services number - but also think its high time she goes after the rip off that is fixed landline companies like BT and VM.

Charging per minute for a call instead of per second should be illegal, charging a 7p connecting charge, charging £124.99 to connect a BT line in a BT only area where a line is prewired, charging £5 a month non direct debit fee - should all be made illegal as its abusing dominant positions, ripping off consumers, and these companies have got away with it far too long!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AJ

Connection of a line to BT - £124.99

BT Call Set up fee - 6p

BT Non-Direct Debit fee £1.50 per month (£4.50 per quarter)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like