back to article Japanese photographers offered recyclable camera

A Japanese electronics store has begun selling a digital camera that will definitely be recycled - because otherwise you won’t get a copy of your photos. eco_digi_mode Eco Digi Mode forces photographers to recycle The Eco Digi Mode camera doesn’t accept Micro SD cards or USB cables. This prevents users from accessing the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Huh?!

What a waste of resources. Recycling costs more than downloading. This kind of thing was first proposed years ago by companies not willing to adjust to the fact that the single-use camera concept was dead, and mercifully it fell flat. The only people who would touch this are morons like those who believe they are saving the environment by buying a Prius.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

And how is this remotely green?

So one person takes 27 or 50 photos, then the camera goes back to the store, gets stripped down for parts, and they make a new one.

There comes a certain number of photos-per-camera where even chucking it into landfill is preferable to recycling it after just 27 or 50 shots; and if the stores went so far as to offer trade-in deals on used cameras, then collection rates for recycling could be improved.

Everything old is new again

I not surprised that someone came up with this new idea. It's like that idea from those Kodak people for a film camera that you use once, send into for processing, and you get prints back (or even a CD now). In the mean time, the camera is reloaded and resold.

@David Gonsell -- if the idea is such a bad one, why are there so many of the single use film cameras being made both by Kodak and Fuji Film. While they may not be great for profession quality photos (IMHO any with digital in it isnt -- I'll just use my large format camera if you please), most people couldn't tell the difference. The single use cameras also work great for things like capturing candid photos at wedding receptions. Just put a camera on each table, let people loose, and collect them before they leave.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums