back to article Ubuntu gets into unified comms, chides Microsoft

Canonical has signed an agreement with Unison Technologies to offer a complete unified communications suite for small to medium-sized firms running Ubuntu Linux. Unison’s software, which will be sold via Canonical’s online store, will run on Ubuntu Server and under beta for Ubuntu Desktop Edition. Ubuntu’s sponsor Canonical …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Paris Hilton

Mac OS X

Where is the Mac OS X version, for a truly portable(TM) desktop side (as long as the LInux version compiles for BSD etc)

Paris, because she knows how things fit.

Silver badge

Sounds great

Except for the "perpetual" licence bit.

Seems a lot of money to part with considering Unison is a start-up. If they fold within a few years your "perpetual licence" won't seem so perpetual then.

Need to add Asterisk..

Surely they need to add asterisk (an opensource VoIP / PSTN telephony platform) then they have a total comms solution winner...

J
Thumb Up

@ Goat Jam

"Except for the "perpetual" licence bit."

It depends on the number of licenses. $36k is one year for 720 users, according with the article, so in between the 20-1000 employees they mention as SMB, or whatever. My university employs thousands, for example, so I guess it would be a better deal to pay $36k once.

If the software is any good, that I have no clue. :-)

Thumb Down

Ubuntu? On a Server?

Let's all have less stability than Windows! This is just a halfassed attempt by Canonical to become profitable. If this startup had any brains they'd ally themselves with Red Hat if they need a corporate sponsor.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums