Feeds

back to article Physical USB security

Keeping information stored on Flash drives is vital, but if you’re not convinced that software encryption’s secure enough then a physical option’s now available. padlock_USB_thanko Thanko's USB padlock Quirky Japanese retailer Thanko has launched a combination padlock for Flash drives that slides onto the USB connection and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Secure?

Cheap combination locks are generally a doddle to crack, by either physical or logical brute force. Besides, the determined data thief could just open the drive and bypass the connector altogether.

Boffin

When I see security I reach for my trusty catapult.

On the face of it a good developement although there is always a but. Surely, the best security is to keep the possibly offending flash drive in your pocket/brief case when it is not in use. I do not forsee any problem in hogging one USB outlet as there are several "multi" devices available, I have a seven outlet one myself, and these could be used in conjunction with other devices into infinity, and my computer has four outlets as well.

I'm stumped...

So here I stole this interestingly protected usb stick... but I can't plug it in do I

a) give up on it

b) take a screwdriver to it and dismantle it, desolder the original connector and

solder on a new one

I'll go with option b...

5 minutes later

Ahh so this is what the government has been up to...

This topic is closed for new posts.