Claranet has blamed data centre Global Switch for a power failure early this morning which brought down many of its customers' websites. The problem was caused by a power failure at Global Switch 2 in London - its purpose-built data centre which claims two independent power supplies. The company boasts that it's Europe's biggest …
Thought these places....
were supposed to have ruddy great diesel generators that are suppoed to kick in if the power fails.
If the ATS fails then surely they can manually switch it cant they?
Perhaps data centre operators need to stop banging on about how resiliant they are as its not true obviously.
Actually, this place has ruddy great flywheels attached to ruddy great diesel generators - Diesel Rotary UPS, DRUPS. Unfortunately it was a problem with these that appeared to cause the outage. In trying to take the DRUPS out of line and switching to raw mains power they caused a 90sec outage. Not much but enough to cause universal mayhem.
- Boffins attempt to prove the UNIVERSE IS JUST A HOLOGRAM
- China building SUPERSONIC SUBMARINE that travels in a BUBBLE
- Review Raspberry Pi B+: PHWOAR, get a load of those pins
- Review Reg man looks through a Glass, darkly: Google's toy ploy or killer tech specs?
- MEN WANTED to satisfy town full of yearning BRAZILIAN HOTNESS