back to article Sleazy doctors plead guilty to web drug racket

Two doctors have pleaded guilty to involvement in an illegal pharmaceutical supply chain racket, estimated to have raked in $126m. The duo made very little for rubber-stamping drug orders that may have imperiled the health of hundreds of thousands of Americans over a period of two years. Chandresh Shah MD, 51, of Smyrna, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sam

Not enough

Life.

Preferably the rope or equivalent.

What they did is unspeakable.

2. Jodo Kast
    Go

More people should stand up to this.

So you can't get your prescription because doctors are only interested in 'additional lab tests'? You see, that's how they make money. Test after test.

Don't want to pay $150+ for an emergency room visit, just to get your prescription that doctors wont give you?

These website are great; the US medical industry sucks.

As long as there is a market, this will continue. Thankfully!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Evolution in action...

So you think you're smarter than your doctor? Well go ahead then, get some random drugs from the Intartubes and install them. Then go into the light and have a nice afterlife. Thanks for playing, next contestant please.

4. kain preacher

Jodo

You know this how ?? You rather the doc just giver you pills ??

Are you aware that insurgence companies are starting to give bonuses to docs that do less test. Less = more profit. So please show me proof were doctors are running all of these extra unnecessary test to make more money . Show me proof were its the doctor that makes money on the tests not the hospital .

5. Simon Brown
    Unhappy

but crucially no counterfeits

This is a very personal comment. I have a member of staff, a Malaysian girl, studying here in Britain on a full-time course. Thanks to her student visa she may work here during her studies to pay the astronomical fees we charge for her uni course. In addition to this she is working to cover the cost of her father's cancer medication back home - the equivalent of about £1,000 / month. The Malaysian health system doesn't cover these costs. Her siblings are married and therefore not expected to contribute. So she works full time and in the evenings and at weekends and goes to lectures and doesn't sleep very much. Her english isn't exactly benefiting either though that's neither here nor there.

I was trying to find ways for her to pay less for her father's medication but am scared rigid in case I recommend a site that offers counterfeit meds that don't work. I couldn't care less if the doctor who writes the prescriptions has never seen her dad. As long as he gets the meds he needs and she doesn't have to work so bloody hard I will be happy. So far I'm not having much luck.

Given the relative strength of sterling against the dollar sites such as this would have been useful to me, personally. However I can see how people who have substance abuse problems could go and get themselves prescriptions for all sorts of drugs that are otherwise controlled. It's a blunt instrument. I don't know what the answer is. I do know that my friend is working herself into the ground and it's a race between her and her dad as to who dies first - her dad from the cancer or her from exhaustion trying to save him - that's life I guess, no-one said it would be fair. Any suggestions or tips would be welcome though.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Typo of the week

"insurgence companies" -- watch out for the FBI!!

7. T. Harrell
    Unhappy

Not nearly enough

This isn't a legal "gray" area. This is explicitly forbidden, and absolutely outrageous for physicians and pharmacists to participate in. These are the professionals who are licensed and trusted to be the gatekeepers, and their abusing that duty. Those kinds of monetary judgments are simply a slap on the wrist, and nowhere near enough to deter this kind of behavior. The penalty really should be a permanently suspended license at the least, and I really think jail time is reasonable!

How can physicians possibly maintain the public's trust without real accountability?

--A medical student

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stop the supplier monopoly

It is obvious that Doctors cannot be trusted (look into the history of that pseudo profession, and you will find most come from hairdressers).

Therefore we should open up all the availability of pharmaceutical medications, to all, no little gate keepers trying to feather their own nest.

Doctors are really just glorified pez machines, recommending the drug that gives them the best kick back, pretty simple way to profit off everyone else.

And whilst we are at it, lets take the money right down, the doctoring profession should not be seen as a free lunch at the tax payers expense.

Any fool can research the various drugs on offer, and as long as we keep quality and full disclosure it would be more responsible to allow the consumer to make an informed decision, and let the pharms supply directly.

9. StopthePropaganda
    Unhappy

wow. make a few million illegally

pay back a few hundred thousand. Serve some time, maybe, then $$profit$$

Anyone caought and convicted of running an illegal operation of any sort, should be required to pay ALL plus a percentage of what they made from their illegal activities. Especially corporate crimes. if they can show records these 'doctors" made $3 million then that's what the minimum fines should amount to.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@Jodo

Right. "So you can't get your prescription because doctors are only interested in 'additional lab tests'?"

So far, I have not encountered a single doctor, in three countries, who would not have been perfectly happy to prescribe me whatever I asked for, so long as I showed at least a single symptom that could be used as a justification to my insurance so they'd cough up the money. Lab tests cost the physician money; many insurances demand them but won't pay the full price for them. So assistants fill in the test report, making things up as they go.

Ever heard the term "kickbacks?" That's how the show works. Medicinal drugs are generally hugely overpriced; but the insurance companies have investments in the pharmaceutical companies, who give huge rebates to the pharmacies, which pay the physicians to prescribe more, totally useless drugs, which the physicians do that so the pharmacies can pay them more kickbacks, and round and round again. It's a really neat system.

However, what we do NOT need is yet another place where you can get prescription drugs (here's an idea: there was a reason why they're prescription only. THe reason is that the stuff may be dangerous, geddit?) w/o a real prescription.

On the other hand... well, you know, whatever it is that is wrong with you could probably be cured quick and easy with a few cyanide pills. You might just get them at one of those spam-spewing online "pharmacies." Cheaply, too! Go for it!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Do no harm?

mine is the one with "twisted irony" on the back

12. Michael

Knew these were a bad idea from the start

I remember seeing a news report about these kinds of sites, and how they were so great because not everyone can get to a doctor.

First thing that came to mind is, how easy is it to describe generic chronic pain and get yourself some nice opiates.

Next was, what kind of crazy doctor would give out prescriptions sight unseen? sure the symptoms you described match X mild condition, leaving out that rash you can't remember where exactly you got (but you don't think is important), or dizziness you've been blaming on the heat or something. Who becomes liable when you die of a horrible, but treatable disease? You for not volunteering obvious symptoms, or the doctor for not researching every possible condition with a bad cough and head aches.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@kain preacher

>Show me proof were it's the doctor that makes money on the tests not the hospital.

Visit doctor. Swipes health card sends you for test.

Return with results. Swipes health card sends you for another test.

Return with results. Swipes health card sends you for another test.

Return with results. Swipes health card.

Directly they don't, indirectly they do. They also appear to try to steer you to their preferred clinic or other doctor for the tests giving the impression that there is some sort of reciprocal agreement between them.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

RE: Stop the supplier monopoly

That’s surgeons not Doctors you idiot.

Personally I don't hold Drs in as high regard as most, as I come from a family that all work in Medicine, but you are just talking utter bull shit. And whilst we are at it, you may be able to research the medicines available for a particular disease how do you know what you have?

Can you tell if a wheezy cough is caused by an allergic reaction, chest infection, pneumonia, lung cancer, flu, a cold, boncitus, asthma... and on and on and on?

Could you then tell which is the best course of Antibiotics to clear that up? 10 Days on Amoxicillin or two weeks on penicillin, or one on Oxytetracylin?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ohh touched a nerve

you do realise that most antibiotics only differ in the strains that are resistant to them due to over reliance on antibiotics by the parasitic quack group.

But, doubtful that point would penetrate such a thick skull of yours, I blame your genes :)

It is very sweet you feel you have to stick up for Mummy and Daddy but they are charlatans.

Oh and surgeons fall into the doctoring category you wally.

Peddle your nonsense elsewhere, no one is in awe of doctors any more, most just feel pity for them, self deluded lot. Though, remove the money and watch how fast they will leave the job, and watch how much better most people become, they are just not needed.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE:

"you do realise that most antibiotics only differ in the strains that are resistant to them due to over reliance on antibiotics by the parasitic quack group."

Wrong wrong wrong wrong.

Penicillin is very good at treating bone infections, where as Amoxicillin is not, but is good at generalised internal infections. Oxytetracylin is useful for skin infections. Nothing to do with residence to different strains, and that is why your first post was totally wrong. Yes there are problems with resistances, but that is not the main reason for using different antibiotics.

The fact that you clearly don't know the difference between a GP and a surgeon shows a deep flaw in your argument. Surgeons don’t prescribe drugs normally. GPs have nothing to do with the barber tradition.

Oh, and I didn't say that my parents were doctors, infact one is a nurse, and one is a dentist, so not doctors at all.

Finally, "Though, remove the money and watch how fast they will leave the job, and watch how much better most people become, they are just not needed." is just a stupid comment. I agree most are over paid, but they do also care for people.

You are just speaking rubbish, but it seems you prefer uniformed comment over real facts.

I find it strange you didn’t answer my question about diagnosis though...

I do however feel that Doctors (knowing something about then) should diagnose illness, and the choice of drugs should be left to a pharmacist.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A little pespective

There are probably very many "prescription only" drugs that a person can self-prescribe, with as much chance of being right as many doctors, or even as a repeat of what a doctor has already prescribed.

It does not automatically invoke worst- case arguments; they are not all going to die of undiagnosed horrible diseases. Some may, as will some of those who have spent hours, days and weeks having something missed entirely by the medical profession.

The worst-case scenarios do, doubtless exist. How often?

Where I live I can buy many drugs over the counter, with or without a prior visit to the doctor. Sometimes I do it without. Doesn't mean I never visit a doctor, doesn't mean I always do either.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Mummy and Daddy do good

Poppycock.

If you want to give up your freedoms that is your own ignorance talking. nurses and dentists gosh it just gets worse.

Listen, however they wish to divide their mucky little group up, they came from hair dressers, that's the history of it, and something that appears to cause a deep shame in you.

And yes, remove the money and the position, and they are nothing, personally I don't see why I should subsidise the existence of doctors in whatever form they take, no better than common thieves.

19. kain preacher

Proof

I want proof that doctors came from hair dressers . Show it to me..

How are Dr thieves ??

This topic is closed for new posts.