back to article George Orwell joins blogging fray

George Orwell's diaries are to be made available online as a blog, starting from next Saturday. The author, whose incisive and ominous political writing ensured his name's appearance in any piece of text with the words 'liberties' and 'civil' for all eternity, kept a journal between 1938 and 1942. The first entry will be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andy Worth

Cool

I actually look forward to reading some of this, being a fan of some of the man's work. It should provide an.....interesting...insight into his everyday mind.

2. Alex Cooper
    Go

Where's the Big Brother angle?

"Readers expecting this piece to end on some zinger about Big Brother will be sorely disappointed and/or summarily dispatched to Room 101."

Ok so now I get to become a guest on a BBC2 program with Paul Merton? Do I get paid for this? When can i start demanding, in my new found TV celebrity status, to have Liqourice Allsorts in my dressing room arranged in the shape of Sarah Bee's face?

Questions, questions...............

3. Tim
    Go

Now that GO's personal life is going to be scrutinised...

...I have to wonder if his most famous book wasn't somewhat prophetic!

4. Eduard Coli
    Heart

Surprised it wasn't mentioned

In "Upon Further Reflection" B.F. Skinner mentioned that George O. faked his own death.

B.F. states that George grew tired of being the depressing and dark George O.

5. GrahamT
    Thumb Up

Nice...

...to see El Reg (Sarah Bee, anyway) getting into the spirit by writing the article in TrueSpeak.

6. pctechxp
    Black Helicopters

Zinger

Were you thinking of KFC by any chance

Mine's a Zinger tower burger if you're buying Sarah

On a serious note, this looks like it will be an interesting read, might even knock El Reg off my top destination spot.

Mine the one with the handbook for AirWolf in the pocket (it was a black helicopter after all)

7. GrahamT
    Unhappy

@Nice..

That should have been Newspeak: Doubleplusungood of me.

8. Niall
    Happy

@GrahamT

You type out your post, you re-read it and finally preview it. The the moment you hit the post button you realise your mistake.

There has to be a word for that.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@pctechxp

Dam you! I want KFC now! Its like heroin in a bun... My wife is going to kill me if I go to KFC on the way home...

10. Dave Bell

Just like Samuel Pepys.

This isn't the first diary on the net.

And they still can't set it up so the Leap Years will match

11. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Just like Samuel Pepys.

Where does it say it's the first diary on the net, Dave?

Have... have I done bad?

12. min

isn't SB

the stung one right now? paying too much attention? have a xanax. i bet GO did...

13. elreg@mailinator.com
    Heart

Strike me!

Superb use of strikeout there, Ms Bee!

14. Adrian Jackson

Re: Just like Samuel Pepys

Oh no, you don't get out of it that easily.

From the article, selectively quoting:

"George Orwell's diaries are [...] the [...] first [...] online [...] blog"

Damned by your [...] own [...] words.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

@Sarah Bee

"Have... have I done bad?"

My God woman! Do you know what that last comment can do to a man.

Images of puppy-dog eyes and a coyly-bitten bottom lip come flooding in... I'm off home now for a cold shower.

AC, because if my girlfriend found out what I was thinking I'd be in big trouble.

16. Olivier
    Paris Hilton

down and out

Because his writings are famous not only in London

17. Martin Usher
    Black Helicopters

Surely this can be prevented?

Usually there's someone claiming copyright and preventing publication. What's gone wrong?

18. Tawakalna

I get confused...

Are we at war with Eurasia or Eastasia these days?

19. Stephen Jenner
    Go

The most interesting places in our cyberworld....

are where there are journo's raising subjects, and commentators responding to both the original thread, and other commentator's comments, if you are still following (I'm not).

It is an absolutely brilliant wheeze for "The Orwell Trust" to start a thread by this pre-internet blogger, he was not only very talented (quality of writing), but actually had something to say about the human condition.

Perhaps a corner of the Register could be devoted to publishing the musings of some of the more interesting philosophers and writers from the past that did not have an internet. I am thinking of characters ranging among Mohandas Ghandi, Leo Tolstoy, Robert Anton-Wilson, John Ruskin, Bob Dylan, Bugs Bunny etc. etc.

As it is, we hear far too much from "professional politicians" and the various other parasites that infest our world.

20. oldfartuk
    Thumb Up

Holistic Orwell

Actually Orwell also wrote a column in several newspapers, which are intersting to read, as well as several other novels, amongst which 'The Road to Wigan Pier', A Clergyman's Daughter' , "Keep the Aspidistra Flying' and ' Down and Out in Paris and London' were seminal to me during my teen years................I'd recommend you read them all, including the journalisms.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Publishing someone's thoughts without their permission after they're dead?

Well, that's positively Orwellian.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Niall

>There has to be a word for that

It's more of a condition "Fat Finger Syndrome". Not to be confused with FFS which is what you might think when you realize what you've done or equally think when some smart arse corrects you as if didn't already know.

23. Steve

Let me guess

Each of his 70-year-old blog entries will attract dozens of inane comments pointing out that what he wrote back then is equally true today if you just replace xxx-old-politician with xxx-new-politician...

24. GrahamT
    Happy

@Niall

I don't know what that is called, (the Doh! moment? doubleunthinkread? ) but the length of time between clicking the "Post Comment" button and realising the mistake is definitely the ohnosecond.

I do know they become more frequent with age.

25. GrahamT
    Unhappy

Big Brother is watching me

I tried to look at the Orwell blog today using the link above. My company's content filter blocked it as a "Blog/social networking" site.

Oddly I can read pepysdiary.com everyday, and that is a far racier diary than Eric Blair's is likely to be: but then, who says censorship has to be logical?

26. Jonathan Richards
    Thumb Up

@Niall

> There has to be a word for that

The Meaning of Liff (http://folk.uio.no/alied/TMoL.html) is no help in this instance.

In that spirit, I suggest

Dorking (n), [from Dork (v.i.)]

To post a smart comment containining an elementary error to the entire Internet.

We've all done it. People on Slashdot do it all the time.

27. Samantha Clinton

@ Jonathan Richards

Ah, I see what you did there...I mean you did do it on purpose I'm guessing? ;)

*pauses to check, check and double check for elementary errors*

This topic is closed for new posts.