Netbeans is pretty good these days
- There are a lot of old runtimes installed out there
- The installed base on browsers isn't as good as Flash
- The download size to install the newest version is kinda big
- You get that damned annoying Java logo in the Windows tray
- The graphics are nowhere nice as Flash (e.g. the anti-aliasing)
I really wish that Jon Schwartz or Marc Hamilton would hire an exceptional team of designers with Steve-Jobs-esque abilities to make using all-that-is-Sun a real pleasure, instead of a CLI-style challenge. I guess I'm just repeating what Mark Shuttleworth said about Linux desktop beautification. Over in Sunland, things look encouraging - the xVM Ops Center and xVM Server interfaces are excellent and apparently inspired by Facebook and other very usable services.