Feeds

back to article Cisco is moving into your house

Cisco is paying $120m for home networking firm Pure Networks, underscoring its desire to build a consumer brand. Pure makes network management software for home users. Now everyone can be a network manager from their own living room. Pure's software lets you manage all the devices on your home network, which Cisco imagines will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Unhappy

Oh dear

"Now everyone can be a network manager ... "

What people really need is help/advice setting up home networks, not just equipment/software which makes it easy for _anyone_ to do it. How many people do you know who don't secure their router because they don't know how, or worse, realise it needs doing.

Although from a business point of view, security vendors might benefit from this as well as the companies selling the gear.

Dead Vulture

SSSSHHHHHHH

I'm currently making a tidy living due to people not knowing how to configure a home network, and the scareware pedlars doing a fine job of convincing said ludite mugs that they got problems when they haven't.

There's plenty to go round too, don't go spoiling it.

Thumb Up

too slow Cisco

I've already got one of your 24 port layer2 switches at the centre of my home network. Works a treat thanx.

Cisco on Linksys, but it does not work!

Hi, bought a Linksys/Cisco BEFSR41 Cable/DSL router with 4 port switch. What a piece of junk! Spend hours trying to address it at 192.168.1.1, it would not reset, talked to Linksys tech support overseas who gave me a elaborate reset procedure which allowed me to address it. But still could not get it to work. Exchanged for another exact same model, same problem. Returned for store credit.

Joke

@Doug

Hmmm - I'll grant you some of the linksys stuff is pretty crap, but if two consecutive and identical bits of kit work for others but not for you, I start wondering if PEBKAC

I wouldn't advertise this sort of problem on El Reg if I were you :)

middle ages...

Talk about us Americans being behind the times... Cisco makes Lynksys and has been peddling them here for years! I tried one with a 4 port router and WiFi/Bluetooth, and had trouble with it staying connected for more than 20 minutes at a time, traded for store credit too, and bought a NetGear, and other than my room looking like I had a police car with full blue light special going on, once I disabled the unnecessary (offending) leds, it has worked like a charm, even remembering its settings after a power outage....

This topic is closed for new posts.