Feeds

back to article Texas Memory Systems makes mighty big RAM SSD

Texas Memory Systems has introduced its RamSan-440 DRAM-based solid state drive (SSD), with half again as much I/O bandwidth as its predecessor and a quadrupled capacity. The previous and now entry-level RamSan-400 delivers more than 400,000 I/Os per second (IOPS) and offers 128GB capacity in a 3U chassis. The RamSan-440 offers …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Coat

"Half as much"?

Shurely "half as much again"?

Mines the one with the nit-pickers in the pocket.

IT Angle

"Half as much"?

Is that proper British English for saying "50% more"? I'm American so I'm not actually sure -- on our side of the pond we'd interpret it to be the same as "50% less" or just "half".

Dead Vulture

half as much?

I think you mean "half again as much"

Beat the editor. Again!

yes but can it

um, load crysis fast?

Paris Hilton

Education, education, education

"with half as much I/O bandwidth as its predecessor" would mean 200,000 I/O s^-1, not 600,000. No?

Paris because even she can add up.

Bronze badge
Coat

memory is replacing storage subsystems

but what is replacing memory?

Unhappy

Yeah but they're frickin' expensive

I fancied one for my desktop but $110,000 for the 128GB 300 model is just a touch out of my league :(

Thumb Up

I dunno if it's been changed since y'all commented

but it now says "half as much again"

Also, shouldn't it be (IO)^2 rather than IO^2? Otherwise it'd be Instant On Output.

Sounds like a helluva toy to have- it'd probably load Crysis rather quickly.

Unhappy

3U unit?

Won't fit in my Eee PC then.

Sam
Gates Horns

@ Theotherone

Yes it can run Crysis as long as it is on XP, put Vista on this and it will kill the flash disks

b

you jokers!

yeah bring on a fully functioning and dynamic market for desktop SSD's!

i've been waiting for these spinny, noisy heat inducing and SLOW hard drives to be pensioned off.

i used to play around with ramdisks.sys back in the day and wondered when windows would be loaded onto memory to load a pc quicker.

thats was about 10 years ago, i'm STILL waiting!!

(ok i know i can have one now, but 100's of £'s for local storage is a bit rich and the products are still developing)

(sigh)

cheers,

bill

http://www.eupeople.net/forum/

They should sell...

... portable HDD sized RAM SSDs with batteries, so when you have to take sensitive data with you, it will have a reliable self destruct mechanism.

Border search not going well? just hit a button and erase.

Add a proximity bracelet, and anytime it leaves you person, total erase.

And no big deal if it's left some were by a moron posing as a public official, a timer can be set to go off if the device isn't plugged in by a preset time or the battery's drain time.

This topic is closed for new posts.