back to article Even without 3-Jesus Phone, Apple busts revenue records

During its last fiscal quarter, Apple shipped a record 2.49 million Macs, and even if you ignore a decent chunk of its Jesus Phone sales, it nabbed a record $7.46bn in revenues. But in typically coy fashion, the company says it has low expectations for the quarter to come. Naturally, those who play the Wall Street game sent …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Mac market share

2.49 Million Macs worldwide is a 3.5% market share. Well up from the 3% they achieved this time last year. Congratulations!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Maybe they won't sell anymore.

I think Wall St is full of shit maybe Apple will all just go home and not sell anymore billions of dollars worth of merchandise possibly if St Steve is sick they will all pine away and no more profits ever.

Paris because she is short appl.

3. Antidisestablishmentarianist
    Heart

I love Wall Street

Twa@t makes guess at earnings. Actual company earnings different (doesn't matter if bigger or smaller). Tw@t publicly embarrassed at guessing wrong, and thus stock price must be punished. Nobody gets away with making the tw@t look bad. Nobody. Got it!

Tw@t makes new guess, cycle starts again.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

they knew this days ago

El reg, portal to the future....

It's good to see that the register is finallly reporting events from the future, i for one am glad to know what WILL be happening, now if they can tell me who will piss me off next week in order for me to avoid them, that'll be peachy.

Ankle-biting hackers storm net's overlords, hijack their domains

IANA and ICANN succumb to NetDevilz

By Dan Goodin in San Francisco → More by this author

>>Published FRIDAY 27th JUNE 2008 18:55 GMT<<

For those who don't believe in the powers of time travel.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/27/iana_and_icann_hijacked/

I for one welcome our time traveling overlords

Mines the one with K-9 on the back

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Steve Jobs ill?

Webster's voodoo doll is finally working!

6. Aditya Krishnan
    Jobs Horns

And

how many of the Mac purchasers were closet Windows users who bought Macs just to be cool?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

sickness

I would not wish anything bad on anyone, but if Mr. Jobs were to retire / step back in some other way, from Apple would they return to the beige old days, or more accurately not if but when, bets?

8. adamd
    Thumb Up

Driven by ordinary folks moving to Mac?

Purely speculation on my part, but could upturn in sales be actually due to nicely designed, easy to use computers that satisfy customers? We have a Macbook in the office, and I am always pleasantly surprised by its total reliability, quietness, instant-start-up and long battery life.

Compared to my 8-month old hi-end Sony laptop which really should have been a delight to own, but is hobbled by Vista Business - which makes it slow, unpredictable, struggles to find wifi network, short on battery life... All the 'cool' features of Vista we turn off to give it some decent performance. Same goes for the other Vista machines we buy.

So this morning, I made a decision to start buying Macs from now on, and keep the PCs around for legacy apps. I think we'll save money on productivity uptime from not having to keep loading updates. Put it this way, I feel unconfortable about buying a new Vista-based PC at the moment.

Dangers of samples of one obviously, but I wonder how many other SMEs are going through same decisions? I don't feel so sorry for Microsoft, but I think the decent PC makers like Sony, HP, Tosh and Dell are being (possibly) unfairly hammered by the poor quality of Vista.

9. Ascylto

@ Cade Metz

What's the betting that Cade Metz uses a Mac.

He is sooooooooooooooooo anally retentive!

10. smell fresher

Earnings from mobileme

They warned that earnings will go down in the near future..... this is probably to do with the mobileme fiasco and all those free months they're having to give away.... I (and others on the apple discussion boards) are today again unable to access email. If they keep this up I won't have to pay for (a completely useless) mobileme for the next 50 years

11. Thomas

@"Mac market share"

What effect does the share of sales in one quarter of one year really have on anything? Whenever XP really does become unavailable for new purchases, will it suddenly be completely irrelevant three months later, having captured 0% of the interim sales share? If not then why don't you argue whatever your actual point is?

Apple are profitable. Lots of people like their Apple products. Jobs' ego is no larger than Ballmer's. So what's the problem?

12. Scott Mckenzie

@adamd

Just get VMWare Fusion for the Macs, to run Windows on them and get rid of all the PC's!

13. Pavel Tcholakov
    Gates Horns

Well done

Now use some of those profits and make a proper midrange desktop, dammit!

14. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Jobs Horns

"future product transition which I can't discuss today"

10:1 it's the Apple laptot catchup. Although they probably want to drop the mini they can't recycle so how about Apple reinvents the wheel and releases the MacBook Go?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple's laptot

Apple's laptot will be called the MiniMe.

16. joris van 't Land
    Pirate

Shocking?

We'll see what they'll bring.

Cannot think of anything wow, as we have more or less all we need.

A bigger touch, yes sure, but that isn't shocking.

17. Charlie Clark Silver badge

@AC

Fuck! Why didn't think of that.

@El Reg Graphics Dept: NEW ICON NOW!

18. Andrew Kaluzniacki
    Jobs Halo

Dude - $17 == 10%

Hey, thanks for the heart attack. AAPL is down 10% not 17%.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

3G kills,

everyone knows that. The Jobbie being surrounded by 1 million of them will not survive the year. His own fault really.

20. Daniel B.
    Happy

Apple isn't gaining market...

It's MikeRoweSoft *losing* market. OEM's were stupid enough to hammer Vista into consumers; they did it so well that people just stopped buying PC's. Then, when Average Joe wants to buy a new PC, well... they're forced to change to either crappy Vista, or MacOSX (Linux isn't quite there yet for the average user). Suddenly the Mac doesn't seem that bad anymore... you'd have to re-learn everything with Vista anyway!

21. Ben Bufton
    Jobs Halo

@Aditya Krishnan

Yeah... you're right. Macs are cool...

pfft

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like