back to article iPhone 2.0 unlock tool released, tested

Apple released the iPhone 3G on 11 July and nine days later, iPhone hacking crew the iPhone Dev Team posted the latest version of the their jailbreaking and unlocking utility, PwnageTool. First, PwnageTool 2.0 won't unlock a 3G iPhone, but it will jailbreak one to allow third-party apps to be installed through an alternative …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Benet Allen
    Go

Difference between 'Restore' and 'DFU' modes

This isn't made very clear - and was the source of your trouble (and mine!)

'Restore' mode is where you have a picture on the screen, showing a USB cable heading towards the iTunes logo.

'DFU' mode involves a blank screen. DFU mode is a necessary part of the process, although I'm unsure exactly what happens in this mode.

I took several attempts on my Mk1 iPhone before I appreciated this difference, although to be fair, the Pwnage tool does attempt to help you get your phone into DFU mode.

Users need to know about the two modes, and not to confuse them!

2. Angus Ireland
    Coat

DFU mode?

Pressing+Holding power and home and then releasing power ain't DFU mode - that's just recovery mode.

In recovery mode, you can turn the device off and then boot into normal mode.

In DFU, rebooting simply returns you to DFU mode. You can't put your iPhone into DFU without some help from another application (iTunes, pwnagetool, ziphone etc)

Mine's the one with '"Legit" iPod Touch User' on the back

3. Alex Daulby
    Thumb Up

Legit.....

In case you or your readers genuinly don't know what legit means, it's short for legitimate, or in this context, has not been jail broken.

4. Matt Bradley
    Jobs Halo

Pfft!

Look, I know it's lovely, and it's almost as small as a Blackberry Pearl, and it comes from Apple, so it MUST be worth extra cash up front... but if I have to go through this ridiculous charade just to install the apps I want, why would I want one? I might as well just get a windows mobile device or a blackberry.

Wierd. iPhone fans are just WIERD. I don't get it. ITS JUST A PHONE.

5. Joerg

And obviously this was coded by a 15years old kid, right?

Yeah, sure. Like console modchips and hacked firmware created by 12years old kids...

Apple knows nothing about this, of course. How could they ?

And anyone could decrypt DRM protected and encrypted binary code with no public technical documents available to use.. right ? Of course, a 5 years old could do that, yep! "hackers" ... the myth of...

6. marc
    Boffin

Running 3rd party apps, got copy and paste working

on my N95 :D

7. Henry Blackman

Running 3rd Party w/o Jailbreaking

What is exactly the point of jailbreaking an iPhone 3G...? All version 2.0 users can get all the 3rd party apps you want from the App Store, directly to your phone by pressing the button on your phone. Seems a little pointless to me. I'm sure that older apps that were not created with the SDK, will be transitioned over so MORE people can use them!

8. Erin
    Flame

question "legit"?!

The fact that such an akward question is part of the whole process shows clearly that this program is not yet ready for primetime.

Close, but no cigar.

9. Gabor Laszlo
    Linux

My OpenMoko/Neo FreeRunner

is on the way, I expect to get my hands on it by next week. It cost 300€, unbranded, unlocked and GPL code. Watch me make fun of iPhone owners on youtube (I think this calls for some 'I'm an iPhone/I'm a Neo' ad spoofs).

10. Daniel B.
    Thumb Down

@Henry Blackman

The problem is that some stuff won't ever run as intended if released through the official method: Apple blocked some system calls / functions in their developer API, and the license restricts you even further on what is allowed; hence no Java (can't run bytecode), no IM (can't run in background) and no ROMs. So naturally, iPhone users will want to run the unrestricted apps, which require jailbreaking.

I wonder why Apple went down this road instead of doing something like Symbian signed, or RIM's "restricted calls" policy: some libs require the accessing module to be signed by RIM. However, Apple just states "you can't do it" flat out.

11. Chris
    Coat

@Gabor Laszlo

Would that include a guy in a black turtleneck going "I'm an iPhone. I'm not GPL. I was with Drew Barrymore" and another guy with scruffy curly hair who says "I'm a Neo. I'm GPL. I killed my mail-order bride."

Mine's the one with the Slackware CD in one pocket and the map to the body in the other.

(And yes I know it's not funny.)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Erm.. value?

So - the review is of something that is generally accepted to be do-able anyway. The biggest piece of news surrounded the 3G version but that wasn't tested.

Still good to see. It looks like this will be the only way I can get an iphone, ironically to use with O2. As an existing customer, they still won't let me get one until my contract expires - 4 months away. Gits

13. John
    Thumb Up

Unlock tips

Just to clear things up as I got stuck on this for about 2 hours. If you need to unlock your phone, make sure you say you are NOT a legit iPhone user. I honestly thought this was a joke and hit yes 3 times, and didn't know why it wasn't unlocking the phone.

And again, if your phone is in DFU mode you will NOT see the connect to iTunes screen, it will just be black! You can do this by, Holding the power button and home button at the same time, count to 10, on 10, release the power button and hold the home button for another 10 seconds. If you did it right, your iphone will be black, and iTunes will prompt you for restore.

@Henry The point of jailbreaking your iphone 3g is not so obvious at the moment, but in the very near future you can expect to see applications use parts of the phone that is not available in the SDK. For example, background processing could be hacked in, but only with a jailbroken phone and many other internal "Apple Only" things could easily be extended once your device is jailbroken.

Also, Why is that I have to fill out 15 field form to write a comment? Email validation is already pushing it. In addition, I did not want to be a part of the newsletter so I unchecked opted out using the checkbox. Upon the submit, I had an error, I quickly fixed it and submit again, before it posted I noticed that the checkbox had defaulted back to checked. Not very nice.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

Who IS Webster Phreaky?

Here's the little Mac Phreak

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=158300923

15. Gabor Laszlo
    Linux

@Chris

I was thinking more along the line of:

Mac Guy from PC/Mac ads: 'I'm an iPhone, I can do anything Steve Jobs thinks I should.'

Keanu Reeves: 'I'm Neo. I know Kung Fu.'

16. Inverted Human

Stuck in Limbo

I have a non-3G iPhone that was unlocked. After updating iTunes to 7.7, I accidentally hit some update button in iTunes and it downloaded and installed iPhone 2.0. It became useless of course.

I tried running Pwnage 2.0.1 to no success. When trying to do the custom restore, iTunes says, `The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (6).`.

When I try to re-run Pwnage, I can't get it to shut off to go into DFU mode. It keeps rebooting into Restore mode (with the iTunes logo and USB pointing to it).

I tried to use ZiPhone with it, but it can't find the iPhone even though iTunes can.

What next?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like