back to article Reding vows Autumn assault on EU data roaming charges

Vivian Reding has pledged to get legislation to slash text and data roaming charges on the legislative agenda by October, after an investigation found that roaming charges were still up to ten times more expensive than home network charges. In a statement today, the commission said it had hoped that following its cap on voice …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Arnold Lieberman
    Thumb Down

"Foreign" operators

What I don't understand is how the phone companies can justify any increase in cost over the normal tariff when the "foreign" network just happens to be owned by the same company. I'd like to see the interconnect rates for 140 bytes of data...

2. druck Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Data roaming rip off

Can't come too soon for me. My bill this month is an extra £40 due to a few MBs of data from my EEE while I was camping at Le Mans. Vodafone couldn't even tell me the exact cost before I went, and the price per MB isn't entirely consistent on the bill either, despite it all being from their recommended partner network of SFR.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Data rates

T-Mobile is very clear on their costs. They have preferred networks which allow them to bring costs down somewhat, but they are still, IMO, too high.

7 quid a MB is just ludicrous on European networks.

4. Richard Gadsden
    Thumb Up

Why not require single EU-wide rates?

Why can't the EU just require that all rates are EU wide instead of national. If the networks can't get a fair price in a particular country, then they could simply not roam there.

5. John Sinclair

One Day

This nonsense regarding data and phone charges should have been sorted out years ago and if anyone in Brussels had the balls to do it it would have ben done within one day of them being tasked with it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like