Feeds

back to article The Top Ten 3G iPhone beaters

Sick to the teeth of 3G iPhone this and 3G iPhone that? Then express your anti-Apple anger by selecting one our list of the top ten feature-packed alternatives. Counting down, in reverse order, we kick of with the... Motorola Z10 Click here for the full review motorola_z10_side_on The Z10 is a step up from the original kick …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Stop

you missed

the e71 from Nokia. even if it's just about launched and you haven't reviewed it yet.

Linux

N95

My N95 can do this, your XXX can't, my N95 can do that, your YYY can't. Na na na na na.

Yawn

Penguin, 'cause it's booooring

Paris Hilton

what about the SE X1?

... when (if ever) it hits our shelves?

I can't help but think that SE have missed a trick by keeping this phone under wraps for so long - from everything i've heard about it, it will be the ultimate iPhone killer.

Paris - coz she's the trend-setter and probably has 4 iPhones.

Thumb Down

glaring omission

wheres the htc tytn2 in the list?

Thumb Down

What about the Nokia E71????

What bozo did this review? I haven't heard of most of these phones and I've been a smartphone user for at least 7 years!

What about the Blackberry bold or the really good Nokia E71? If you're going to do a review then do a decent review!

This post has been deleted by its author

Dead Vulture

OMG

You have a list of the top 10 smart phones and don't put the nokia e90 in their lame guys very lame!

Alert

What???

No Sony Ericsson phones made the cut. That can't be right.

Anonymous Coward

@ glaring omission

Seconded.

I was expecting a TYTN2 at position 1 or 2.

Thumb Up

tytn2

I have to add tytn 2 to the list, but then again this is to compare iphone killers, which means glorified and pretty mp3 players.

The tytn 2 is a small office with more forms of connection than you can shake a stick at added to the mp3 player and so without trying it makes a little puddle over the entire list before we even start.

Reg should do a "tytn2 wannabe list"

The N95 is a good phone though.

Stop

Nokia Nokia Nokia...

Eurgh. I'm so bored of the N95 and more generally, of Nokia owners who lazily trot out the same old cliché about how their handsets are the best/easiest/most reliable in the world. These people have clearly never used a modern Sony Ericsson, the UI of which is the most comfortable and intuitive I've ever seen on a phone.

I'm really looking forward to the Xperia X1, the only true iPhone alternative, in my view.

Boldness

I'm hanging on for the Blackberry Bold (9000).

Same screen resolution as the iPhone, but a proper keyboard.

(Written by Reg staff)

@All

Re. SE X1, E71, BlackBerry Bold etc

When you can buy 'em, we'll review 'em.

Coat

Amusing

Opposite this review there is a pane which says:

"MOST WANTED SMARTPHONES" (data provided by Expansys)

MWg Atom Life Windows Mobile 6 Edition — £199.95

HP iPAQ 614c with £50 Cashback Offer! HP iPAQ 614c with £50 Cashback Offer! — £344.95

HTC Touch Cruise HTC Touch Cruise — £399.95

HTC TyTN II HTC TyTN II — £469.95

Palm Centro Palm Centro — £179.95

Surely that list might have some bearing on the Top 10.

Silver badge

Trust a technical publication to miss the point

The feature of the iPhone that people who aren't just trend following (so, you know, maybe 5% of its owners) admire most is the web browser. Gigabytes and megapixels mean nothing. It's the user interface that matters. Just like in Wii versus Xbox versus Playstation land, technologically minded publications prefer to elevate things that can be measured in numbers over the actual experience of using a thing. Maybe it's just a cheap way of avoiding the need to actually form a subjective opinion?

So, while any or all of these phones may best Mobile Safari for all I know, or you might think that the browser is good enough that the real keyboard puts the phone ahead of Apple's, you really need to start saying that. Not "this phone must be better, as it has a camera rating of 2.3 and the volume goes up to 11".

To be honest, I think your admission in the Samsung SGH-F700 that the iPhone has a "better-than-the-rest browser" suggests that these phones are the top ten iPhone competitors, not the top ten iPhone beaters, and your article name is a Webster Phreaky-level attempt to enrage anyone who has anything positive whatsoever to say about Apple.

Anonymous Coward

The Top One 3G iPhone beaters

Fixed that for you.

Should be subtitled: If you can cope with Nokia's phone's increasing instability and their shit contacts and calendar.

And Nokia, GET SOMEONE ELSE TO WRITE YOUR DESKTOP SOFTWARE. It's all crap! It's always been crap. Standards, cross platform, interactive, flexible, remotely useful - these are all words and phrases that can not be used when describing your software.

Stop

The TyTN II

Thrashes EVERY phone on that list and the iPhone yet you only make a fleeting comment about it. Wrong.

Pirate

Strange definition of 'beaters'..

I'm just wondering how you're defining 'beat' here ? Perhaps it's as-in 'with the ugly stick' ?

Seriously, you put a Palm Treo in there . HAhahaha. That's funny.

Mat

And here come the 'fanbois'

"whine, whine, whine, whine, whine, whine, whine, whine, yeah but you missed this one whine, whine, whine, whine, whine, whine, whine, whine, whine, whine"

Yawn.........

Gold badge
Unhappy

An HTC Touch user writes.

I too thought that the Touch Dual was what the touch should have been.....until I noticed that it lacks WiFi. Something that you appear to have overlooked here.

dubious

Any smartphone review that ends up with the n95 in first place is immediately suspect. Have you actually USED an n95 in real life? I've got one and I can't wait to get rid of the piece of crap. The latest firmware updgrades have improved the shocking battery life (a bit), but they can't do anything for the lousy ergonomics and the creaky UI, and the map thing is rubbish.

Personally, if I don't get an iPhone (and I now see no reason NOT to get one) then the SE Xperia X1 looks like the only interesting alternative on the horizon.

Silver badge

@Mat

I think today is iPhone 3G launch day, so hopefully all the diehards will be busy...

Stop

Samsung SGH-F700

Ok, had one of these puppies for about 6 months now. It's AWFUL!

Seriously, terrible. The only decent thing I got from Vodafone were the Bose headphones, the phone it's self is painful. the memory is limited, it STILL fails to run the GMail app it's supposed to. Plug in USB and it turns the BlueTooth off, it mis-reads the screen taps randomly, sending me to strange new places I didn't want to be in. The browsing experience is horrific, it even mangles The Reg.

There is a whole list I could go on about, but I'd just say, having lived with the damned thing, DON'T BOTHER

Stop

Samsung SGH-F700

and while I think of it, don't even get me started on the camera. I could take better pics with a Box Brownie, and they'd be quicker too.

HTC needs to ....

...make a Touch Diamond with a full-face 3.5" screen, with a slider keypad. Then you've actually got enough physical screen acreage to browse the web properly, and you don't need hard buttons on the front. Oh, and add a microsd card slot, increase memory to 8GB, and get Microsoft to write a decent mobile OS for it.

None of the smartphones in this list are competitors for the Iphone, they're all a generation behind in actual use.

Tom

@James Whale

The sony interface is exactly what made me send it back and get an N95, the k800i was a one off from Sony, solid build and worked like a charm, everyhting preceeding or following it has been tosh.

Unhappy

Sony-Ericsson

I just returned my new Nokia phone and swapped it for a Sony-Ericsson - life is so much better now. It isn't an iPhone but then, I don't want to be locked to O2, especially as I can't really move after the contract ends and I'm left with a useless piece of kit. If Apple really wants people in the UK to buy the iPhone who don't want to have to go through the unlocking or jailbreaking process they should change their system. Other countries sell it unlocked - Apple needs to forget it's a US company and that there is a world beyond the east and west coasts of the US.

Gates Horns

Unfortunately running Windows

What you've neglected to mention is the mobile Windows nonsense running on these machines is the most unreliable p-o-c around. The hardware can work great, but when you have to reboot the thing every day and things just mysteriously cease working (as happened to my boss's XDA on countless occasions) you understand why the iPhone2 might actually be a success.

Gates as the devil for, erm, obvious reasons ...

Never mind the phones...

...where's the "Fluff" countdown voiceover and backing jingle?

Anonymous Coward

I'm puzzled

As to how many of these phones are being bought by octopii. As I see it, it needs at least two tenticles to operate a sliding phone while keeping one free for other things. Or do they work like flick-knives on a springy-type thing, with a satisfying thwik as it opens up and clicks home for business? And why are my puns recursive?

Paris Hilton

Stick to your mainstream

I'm perfectly happy with my SE P1i (WiFi, Opera broswer, push mail, touch screen, 3.2 Mp camera & 3rd party apps in a package that fits neatly in the pocket).

Cost me a lot less then the mainstream "smartphones" phones which all get regularly reviewed as the "top selling" phones, plus the RIM and N95 owners I work with keep asking where I got mine from (owners because very few ever seem to actually use more than 30% of the functionality).

That and mine never gets picked up by accident from the office desk because "it looks just like my one, sorry".

Still, I always wished I could call my mates from my walkman, so good luck to the iphone.

Paris, because she likes to play with her sidekick

Thumb Down

@David Evans

I'm another N95 hater. I read all of the reviews and got a free one with an 18 month contract. It has to be one of the worst Nokia phones I've had. I consigned it to a drawer after a month and its still there.

Nokia are rapidly becoming the MS of handset makers. They manage to assemble all of the necessary features but somehow they don't all quite work together or don't work 100% of the time. It smacks of release dates being set by the business and a ship and be damned attitude.

Stop

Trolls

Hang on a minute, wheres the usual hoards of trolls who come on and bash the iPhone everytime theres an article about it? Why aren't they on here bashing the Z10 or the N95??

Ahh.. I know, they're all down at O2 stores queueing for a 3G iPhone!

Flame

TYTN II?

I honestly don't understand all this love for WM-based phones. My MDA Vario II (which is a rebadged TYTN) has been so shit that I have, for the first time in my life, been forced to buy a *replacement phone* before the contract ran out. Oh MDA Vario II, how do I hate you? Let me count the ways: Lousy battery life, frequent crashes, soft resets, crap build quality (it's been replaced once, repaired once and reflashed *three times*, most recently with T-Mobile's WM6 image), terrible reception and a truly appalling GUI, positively *hates* synchronising, be it with Windows or OS X... the list is endless.

I've owned some real bricks and lemons -- Nokia 9500 Communicator, anyone? "Let's build a phone with WiFi, but make the CPU so damned slow that you might as well be connecting using two tin cans and a piece of string!" -- but this is the first time I have *ever* had to do anything like this.

The replacement phone? A Nokia 2630. This cheap-and-cheerful phone (it was the cheapest PAYG I could find that had Bluetooth) works like a charm, is tiny, synchronises perfectly with my computer and -- get this -- gets the bloody job done without any fuss. It's stable, reliable and easy to use. That, dear readers, should be the #1 design goal of ALL technology. (I'm guessing that's the real reason the iPhone is selling so well: it's the *design*, stupid! Features aren't worth shit without good design.)

Jobs Halo

N95 LOL

My other half is stuck in a loveless 18 month contract with an N95 and is insanely jealous of my 1st gen iPhone bought at the same time. He chose the N95 based on the "better looking specs". In reality, the N95 is clunky and slow, cheap-looking, has a really crap web browser and the software is abominable. The only thing better is the 5 MP camera, although that too is dreadfully slow and unresponsive compared with iPhone. If that's really the best your top ten iPhone killer list can muster then I'm very pleased I'm one of the sheeple.

Bronze badge
Alien

E90

= N95 + big screen (800x400!) + keyboard

+ self defense mode (Hit your attacker with it, he doesn't get up).

Happy

Odd

>mobile Windows nonsense running on these machines is the most unreliable p-o-c around

My experience is quite the opposite. Axim Pda, Ipaq Pda and two MDA's are my track record and I find it strange if I have to reboot any of them, usually its after trying out a new app or hack and I expect some stuff to be a lttle flaky but they are easy to remove.

Had a play with the Diamond today and finding it hard to resist but the Xperia X1 is due in Sept. and Im tempted to wait.

Jobs Horns

@Andrew Fenton

Erm, HTC are already making that device, it's the Raphael or HTC Touch Pro.

And how can you say all the devices are a generation behind the iPhone? TyTY2 has 3G, Satnav, touch-screen, sliding keyboard, microsd slot, and a camera. Until a week ago the iPhone was a generation behind that, as of today it's alongside it. D'uh.

Anonymous Coward

wow

all those phones are so hideous

Alert

e90?

And who forgot the latest incarnation of the original smartphone, the nokia communicator, being the E90????

Silver badge

N95...

I've got an original, and I've used the 8gig quite a lot too.

With the latest V21 firmware on the original N95, I'd have that any day of the week over the 8gig... Loosing the removable memory card from the 8gig was crazy (although we know why... Guess where the 8gig is connected inside!).

And for those that ask why... Well go out into the field with an N95 and a Digital SLR. Put the MicroSD into a full size SD adapter, and plug it into the camera. Shoot your photos onto it... Then put MicroSD into the phone, and you can email the shots, preferably via a nice wifi point! Two devices do the job perfectly. No need for a laptop.

You can't do that with the 8gig... :-(

Silver badge

Hey, why isn't any BlackBerry there?

My BB 8300 (the Curve) is actually decent, the only thing lacking would be GPS (no use for this), support for playlists in the media player (oops?), and no *video* camera. Other than that, I'm pretty much OK with the thing.

And it doesn't have that evil Windows Mobile OS. (I've yet to try a Symbian-powered phone.)

E71

You can buy them, and what a great phone it is.

Silver badge

For the sake of my ego,

it is important that I am smarter than my mobile phone. I have a Nokia 6170 and I just about out smart it.

M
Coat

Where's the love...

for my poor little TyTn II? Why is it only equivalent to a footnote in the article?

Rob

@N95 haters

I don't see an N95 on the list....

N95 8GB? Fixes most of the gripes about the N95. Firmware update to N95 solves all the software slowness/stability issues.

Can't say the web browser is nicer to use than the iPhone's.. but on more than one occasion the N95 has found a wifi network and the job is finished before the iPhone has even managed to get a connection.

.. and I echo the cry

E71! E71! E71!

.. and are all Blackberry devices *that* bad that they don't make the list at all? In my very brief exposure to one, I was wowed by the little trackball thingy. Is it just a gimmick?

This post has been deleted by its author

PIB

ZZzzz

What a bunch of moaners.

I'm more than happy with my N95 8gb... quite a substantial number of us are.

I'll let the sales figures and the cross the board reviews do the talking.

Bronze badge
Paris Hilton

@Tony and El Reg

"Re. SE X1, E71, BlackBerry Bold etc"

"When you can buy 'em, we'll review 'em."

You obviously don't check the right places. My colleague has the E71 in his pocket right now, and has done for a couple days. He ditched his TyTn II for it because the latter was a pile of poop.

You did also miss established masters of the smartphone (more than a smartphone if you ask me) E90, along others.

Paris, cause she knows what's going down.

Dead Vulture

Glaring ommission indeed

Forget the two Touch models featured here, the real king of the Windows Mobile heap for the last year has been the HTC Tytn II - so good it's also called the O2 Stellar, Vodafone V1615, Orange Tytn II, T Mobile Vario III, AT&T Tilt, the list goes on. One model to rule them all.

It pretty much takes the exact opposite approach to the Iphone, and that's what makes it great - it's loaded up with every hardware feature you can shake a stick at, and that's where Windows Mobile really comes into its own, because it supports all of that and remains open to more at the same time. Stick WinMo on some trimmed down Iphone-alike, and all you have is an overly cumbersome interface for a relatively simple phone - but make it drive a powerhouse like the Tytn II and you have real mobile computing in your pocket. It's no smartphone for the masses in the way that the Iphone and its pretenders are, but it's a hell of a device for those that need it.

And what's not to like about that unique form factor. It tilts!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.