Solar-powered gadgets are coming off of production lines thick and fast nowadays, and the latest one to hit the desktop is a sun-lovin’ keyboard. Buffalo_Spower_Kboard Buffalo's keyboard is solar or (if cloudy) battery powered Manufacturer Buffalo states that the 4in solar panel integrated above the board's numerical pad can …
...but completely pointless.
I get a good 5 months or so out of 2 AA batteries [sic] in my wireless 'board, pretty much only 4 a year. When it comes to saving the planet I think there are possibly better ways to expend brain power. And £65? It would take 20 odd years to offset the cost of batteries+regular wireless keyboard. The chance of a coffee related accident in that time must be very high reducing the average keyboard's lifespan considerably.
Indeed completely pointless
You're unlikely ever to recover the energy used to make the solar panel. And how much power does the receiver take? I wouldn't be surprised if it's not more than a conventional keyboard.
Come on Reg - apply a bit of intelligence to your analysis of press releases.
- Fee fie Firefox: Mozilla's lawyers probe Dell over browser install charge
- Did Apple's iOS make you physically SICK? Try swallowing version 7.1
- Pics Indestructible Death Stars blow up planets with glowing KILL RAY
- Video Snowden: You can't trust SPOOKS with your DATA
- Review Distro diaspora: Four flavours of Ubuntu unpacked