Segway's original boss of scooter development is retiring his gyroscopes to craft future merchandise for Apple. Doug Field, Segway's chief technology officer since 2001, will leave the company for the brushed aluminum-gilded halls of Apple as its new vice president of product designs. The news was broken by a post on the …
As a Bluetooth accessory wearing knobhead I must protest most strongly about the comparison with crash helmet wearing wusses who can't even walk without mechanical aid desoite fully functioning bodies and nervous systems. Got to be politically correct on this shit!
Mine's the one with the copy of "How to get a Life" in the pocket. That's the one with the heavily thumbed copy of said book.
"Doug has been the driving force in making the Segway what it is today"
A contemporary novelty equivalent of the Sinclair C5.
I have only ever seen them used once.
At Disney World, Florida. The land of make belief so I think that says enough.
Bet Paris has got one to scoot between all those high brow parties!
The only way this tech would buy a Segway is...
IF it came in a James Bond model, with Machine Gun, flame throwers, razor wheel hubs and missile launcher (preferably 4 to 6 Hellfires). Because if it didn't come with all that hardware it would completely ensure my getting my ass beat by the local UAW members.
I saw one being ridden in London
Soon after they were released I saw someone riding one along the towpath past the canal-side housing estates in Hackney, being chased by a large crowd of jeering, stone-throwing kids. What a beautiful sight.
Just thought of PERFECT Segway low tech substitute
It probably takes less energy to run anyway.
Probably cheaper to procure as well. Sorry about it not being welcome "indoors", and oh, by the way, hold your nose.
Small humor for the day. I'll be leaving.
Macs are JUST LIKE Segways .......
1) Segways are cute but a novelty item that will NEVER be a market segment (motorized vehicle) contender or in much demand. Same for Mac
2) Segways were the darling of the Lefty Media, just like Apple and their junky products; yet the Media Whores couldn't make Segway a real success .... just like Apple junk.
3) Segways are horribly over-priced .... need I say more (iPuds, Macs, iPhony, etc)
4) Segways are known for throwing their riders unexpectedly and Segways has been sued numerous times ...... hmmmm, flawed iBooks, PowerBook, iMacs, iPuds, MacBooks, MacBook Pros, etc etc .... class action lawsuits galore!! DING!
5) Dean Kamen is a kook and an arrogant asshole. Stevie? DITTO.
6) The only difference between Segway and Apple is that Segway has always made their own product; Apple on the other hand HASN'T MADE ANYTHING of their own since the Apple ][e, which itself was outsourced later to Canada, then Taiwan. Apple junk is Chinese Sweatshop garbage.
More places than you think
I recently saw police in the Dallas airport on segways. It does two things for them.
1-- they stand a foot taller than everyone else so they are easy to see in a crowd.
2- the machines are imposing and while you would not mind walking up to a policeman, when they are on the machine, you end up keeping a foot or three distance. After all, you do not want the machine to run over your food do you.???
Maybe he is going over to the other Apple? You know - the one that used to make music?
"After all, you do not want the machine to run over your food do you.???"
Well if you keep your food in your hand and don't throw it on the floor then it should be quite safe!
One point you did miss though is that while riding on these things, the police will find it impossible for anyone to take them seriously......because they look like complete bellends.
Even riding on an ass ..
.. would make you look like less of an ass than riding on a Segway!
Who needs an exhibit B if exhibit A is so shockingly painful?
THIS GUY GOT FIRED
Well, I don't know that. But.. this guy has done the worst job imaginable over the past 7 years. He's turned an idea that is pretty fn cool and surpisingly practical and affordable (gliding on an AI-powered unicycle) into a laughingstock. The initial design was atrocious and universally reviled. It was damn ugly, had crippled performance, and scared people around it (which is why its performance got crippled). What did this guy do? Nothing. He sat on his ass for years until finally a slightly redesigned (and slightly less gay-looking but just as imposing) version came out to noone's attention.
This guy is worthless. Apple is gonna hate him. I don't think Apple's products will get ruined by him (I know they won't put up with his stupidity), but Segway is really lucky and now has a much brighter future.
P.S. what segway should have done is made a seated version. Maybe like the original wheelchair that introduced the tech. Or maybe like a bicycle. Anyway, it's the awkward standing that makes you look like a dangerous douche.
P.P.S. fucking patents. If there was more than a single monopoly allowed to make self-balancing scooters, this idea could have really developed into something by now.
- Product round-up Six of the best gaming keyboard and mouse combos
- China building SUPERSONIC SUBMARINE that travels in a BUBBLE
- Boffins attempt to prove the UNIVERSE IS JUST A HOLOGRAM
- Review Raspberry Pi B+: PHWOAR, get a load of those pins
- Linux turns 23 and Linus Torvalds celebrates as only he can