Operator talking shop the Open Mobile Terminal Alliance has embarked on an ambitious plan to bring Web 2.0 to mobile phones, called Bondi to reflect the joy of surfing. There is general agreement that AJAX-style applications would be a good thing on a mobile phone, both in terms of applications embedded in web pages and widgets …
I was thinking about this the other day :) It'd be useful if web apps could access GPS/location information from the device. This would be useful even on laptops and desktops. GPS receievers are very cheap now and with a use like this, I could see them being embedded in every laptop within a few years...
That assumes they can come up with a standard within a few years, which based on HTML 5 etc, I doubt.
Nick Allott - OMTP CTO
GPS/Location is one of 10 functions currently in scope. Details of which will be uploaded to website shortly.
The challlenge is of course is speed, but we have some agressive timescales - and more importantly motivated, technical companies who are on board to deliver in these timescales..... time will tell.
- Vid Hubble 'scope snaps 200,000-ton chunky crumble conundrum
- Updated + vids WHOA: Get a load of Asteroid DX110 JUST MISSING planet EARTH
- 10 years of Facebook Inside Facebook's engineering labs: Hardware heaven, HP hell – PICTURES
- Very fabric of space-time RIPPED apart in latest Hubble pic
- Massive new AIRSHIP to enter commercial service at British dirigible base