Operator talking shop the Open Mobile Terminal Alliance has embarked on an ambitious plan to bring Web 2.0 to mobile phones, called Bondi to reflect the joy of surfing. There is general agreement that AJAX-style applications would be a good thing on a mobile phone, both in terms of applications embedded in web pages and widgets …
I was thinking about this the other day :) It'd be useful if web apps could access GPS/location information from the device. This would be useful even on laptops and desktops. GPS receievers are very cheap now and with a use like this, I could see them being embedded in every laptop within a few years...
That assumes they can come up with a standard within a few years, which based on HTML 5 etc, I doubt.
Nick Allott - OMTP CTO
GPS/Location is one of 10 functions currently in scope. Details of which will be uploaded to website shortly.
The challlenge is of course is speed, but we have some agressive timescales - and more importantly motivated, technical companies who are on board to deliver in these timescales..... time will tell.
- Analysis Oh no, Joe: WinPhone users already griping over 8.1 mega-update
- Opportunity selfie: Martian winds have given the spunky ol' rover a spring cleaning
- OK, we get the message, Microsoft: Windows Defender splats 1000s of WinXP, Server 2k3 PCs
- Episode 4 BOFH: Oh DO tell us what you think. *CLICK*
- Spanish village called 'Kill the Jews' mulls rebranding exercise