Feeds

back to article Oracle reports bumper results

Oracle's decision to buy 40 software companies continues to pay off, as it announced annual and quarterly earnings growth of nearly a third. The company, which this month hiked prices of core products by up to 20 per cent, announced Wednesday robust sales of its databases, applications and middleware. For the three months to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Jobs Horns

Ultra expensive becomes niche

but Oracle does not have that kind of cachet, and there are other equally (some say more) capable products out there for much less cost, even free.

Steve because there is no Larry one.

Anonymous Coward

Free products to rival Oracle's?

That's great news Beelzebub thanks for the info. I'll just get on jobserve now and get myself a job as a MySQL DBA.

HA HA HA.

@AC

For the database I was thinking DB2 and SQL Server.

For app server I was thinking JBoss or .Net.

For applications I was thinking MS Dynamics.

All cost less than Oracle's equivalent, and some are free.

IT Angle

Toooo Risky

Fact is; if you go Microsoft Dynamics, what app server are you gonna use ?

The Answer: Microsoft .Net

You use Microsoft .net what database are you gonna use ?

The Answer: Microsoft SQLServer

You use Microsoft SQL Server, what O/S you gonna use ?

The Answer: Microsoft Windows Server

Why ?.....because you can do no else....i.e. you have no choice.

For many customers, that is reason enough not to choose Microsoft.

And as for DB2 being cheaper than Oracle.....? you gotta be kidding..

Perpetual war

It has almost always been a battle of the platform (entire vendor offering) rather than individual technologies.

Some people build out Oracle, others IBM, others open source and yet others MS. It all depends on their business need and their valuation of what a particular vendor gives them for what price and what sense of risk is associated.

My point was that Oracle's price now feels too high.

Paris Hilton

The Market

I disagree, the price is the price, nothing more. It is neither too high nor too low. Ultimately it is the customer that sets the price, not the vendor. If increasing Oracle's price results in sustained higher revenue then it is the right thing to do. If customers cannot perceive the value, they will not pay the price and, over time, the price will come down to protect Oracle's revenue.

Linux

Correction

Sorry, forgot to add "to me" at the end of the last sentence.

I did also say depends on your attitude to risk. It's also whether you can afford it which most non-profit orgs can't.

I have never seen Oracle reduce prices, only up them in response to multi-core CPUs. Their arcane pricing model needs a Berkeley prefessor to interpret it.

Also Oracle is the only vendor I know that has marched in and done an audit, without permission.

This topic is closed for new posts.