back to article Lenovo throws arms and legs around SMBs

Lenovo yesterday revealed plans to launch a new Thinkpad laptop line that will come loaded with features and support services pitched towards the small and medium-sized biz market. The SL series will be priced from $699 to $1,199 in the US. The laptops will carry online backup services – the first of the kind for the Thinkpad …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No Lenovo for me thanks

Well I've had IBM ThinkPads (renewed ever couple of years) for the last 12 years or so and have loved their robustness and quality. However, I wont be buying anything labelled "Lenovo" whatever services they bundle onto it.

2. Mark Dempster

Brand Prejudice?

>Well I've had IBM ThinkPads (renewed ever couple of years) for the last 12 years or so and have loved their robustness and quality. However, I wont be buying anything labelled "Lenovo" whatever services they bundle onto it.<

Even though it's the same company that actually manufactured your previous machines that you're perfectly happy with? It's a badge, nothing more.

3. Jay
    Boffin

@Mark Dempster

Actually the quality has gone down hill. I love the IBM branded t series thinkpads they were tough and could take a beating. The new Lenovo seem to be cheaply made. They remind me of the old R series stuff except I don't think they will stand up as well.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Lenovo - built to a price

and that price is way to high for what you get - would much rather buy an old IBM Thinkpad T-series than a new Lenovo machine.

Had both and never again will I part with my own money for a Lenovo.

PS - I understand they are built out of the old legend and china walls factory. Not the Old IBM factory.

5. Peter Gathercole Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Think's ain't what they used to be!

I agree.

I've had Thinkpads for 10 years or so, mainly bought re-conditioned, and everything after T23's are flimsy. I still have a 10+ year old 380XD running as a firewall.

Granted, bits always fell off eventually, but none have ever let me down by not working onsite until I got a T30 (the first model built in the far east, I believe). T41s and T42s appeared a bit better, but I do not like the T60s at all, especially the widescreen ones, which is why I havn't bought one!

I really don't know what I will get next. Never mind. My current machine (again a T30, because the disk and DVD-Writer could be just swapped over) runs Ubuntu 8.04 quite well enough for the moment, as long as the one remaining working memory socket stays soldered to the MB. Won't be upgrading the Windows partition to Vista, though.

6. Phil Koenig
    Heart

Lenovo's are better than I expected

I'm another old-time Thinkpad user and have recommend them to clients for years.

First of all, I doubt there's ever been a Thinkpad built outside Asia, at least for the last 10 years. Several years before Lenovo got involved, the top-of-the-range models were at least partly manufactured in Japan, but IBM was building most of them in China or Singapore long before Lenovo took over.

I'm not such a big fan of T60's either, but I think the T61 is decent. Early versions of the Windows software tools after the Lenovo transition could be a bit shaky as well, but a lot of that has been sorted out in recent versions. (ie System Update, Access Connections)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like