So IBM beat IBM in the new supercomputer TOP500 hit parade published today. No surprise there, with Roadrunner, the new no.1, built by IBM for the Los Alamos National Laboratory, earning plenty of airtime last week for being the first petaflop computer. Reduced to no.2 is IBM's BlueGene/L (478.2 teraflop/s) at the US Department …
And the OS on the Sun cluster is....
Why? Infiniband support, maybe?
Nope... Linux is what most people use, and what the *users* know...
Application debugging is a royal pain in the *ss when you have to change compilers/platforms (linux-gcc != solaris-gcc) - best make the transition as easy as possible.
Linux has more HPC code written for it. Solaris is not that big in the HPC market... at least right now... Also, HPC users are just plain used to Linux. Infiniband runs on Solaris, so I'm sure that wasn't the issue.
- ASTEROID'S SHOCK DINO-KILLING SPREE just bad luck - boffins
- BEST BATTERY EVER: All lithium, all the time, plus a dash of carbon nano-stuff
- Stick a 4K in them: Super high-res TVs are DONE
- Review You didn't get the MeMO? Asus Pad 7 Android tab is ... not bad
- Russia: There is a SPACECRAFT full of LIZARDS in orbit above Earth and WE control it