back to article US woman sues over exploding thong

A 52-year-old US woman has filed suit against Victoria's Secret claiming that an attempt to spice up her underwear drawer ended in corneal trauma after a "decorative metallic piece" flew off an example of the lingerie giant's "Sexy Little Thing" low-rise v-string as she was slipping into the come-hither apparel and gave her an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

I bet she

was the butt of the joke....

Paris Hilton

No IT angle but....

... I can see the PH angle.

Coat

Flying V.... Ducks Fly together

Or should that be Fucks Try but-never

Think she is just upset that her husband laughed rather than got aroused.

Thumb Down

What a load of pants...

Why this article? No, really, why?

Anonymous Coward

Peek-a-boo, eh!

I can see how that would poke your eye out!.

Paris, because she can also make your eyes water.

Thumb Up

Thongs

Are important too ...

Lets not get all hung up on the tech, its just not as relevant in todays pork thrusting, boutique branding, whale song inducing news story.

Joke

the reasonably foreseeable clause

has been met.

After all, considering the size of many 50+ American women, it's a wonder the whole thing didn't explode.

And thanks for the pic Lester. I'll wake up screaming tonight, I'm sure.

ive studied the v-string carefuly...

and i cant see any metal on them. if its goning to affecter her for the rest of her life it might nean one less traffic officer to worry about. not that i would, i live in the uk.

Anonymous Coward

How?

For the life of me, I can't work out how a piece of metal flying off a pair of knickers as they're being pulled on could possibly hit the wearer in the eye. Was she bent double?

IT Angle

Flippancy aside

Having small pieces of metal insecurely attached to elastic is negligent. However if she'd been wearing more modest underpants rather than the Devil's Drawers this wouldn't have happened.

Linux

Hell in a hand basket

Nuff said.

IT Angle

<title>

Where's the IT angle? You're turning into the Sun. You are all going to hell.

You're welcome.

Thumb Up

Sun = Hell

Well I for one shall be there in Hell to greet you all with some hot and spicy Bloody Mary's.

IT Crowd

Did anyone else think of the overheating Abracada-bra when they read this?

Coat

IT Angle?

Who cares about the IT angle. We want photos and graphic descriptions and playmobile reconstructions and video and valium and cold showers.

OK I'll go back to my room now. You have checked behind the padding haven't you? That's where they hide you know.

Sam

IT angle

Stress failure caused by bloatware?

This can only end one way

Manufacturers of thongs will now be forced to print a warning on the outside of the packet, just as take-away coffee cups carry a warning that "this beverage is hot, so don't dump it on your crotch!" for the benefit of customers whose IQ is less than their shoe size.

Paris Hilton

I wonder ...

if Paris has a V-string. She obviously has a "V" - half the world has seen it.

Thumb Up

@And the IT angle?

"There is no IT angle. Yes, we're turning into the Sun. Yes, we'll all go to hell in a v-string. Thank you."

There you go, corrected for you.

Silver badge
Go

thongs ain't wot they used to be

I thought thongs were fairly small bits of apparel and don't have much room for spangly decoration -- unless, that is, the purchaser is of generous proportions in which case they may well have been plenty of room. But that itself invokes a mental image I will have trouble getting rid of* - a large traffic warden fixing a ticket to a car and displaying acres of builder's cleavage and thong strings.

*some would pay for an image like that, I'd pay to get rid of it.

Paris Hilton

Just one question...

How, erm, "large" was the lady in question?

As in, was the V-string being forced into more of a T-string when the accident occurred?

Paris, because...

Paris Hilton

Generalisation!

A Victoria Secret spokesman commented on the case.

“We at Victoria Secret strive to offer quality products at fair prices. To this extent, our generalised slogan also reflects in the products we produce. We develop and produce underwear for the general female demographic. Unfortunately Mrs Paterson weighing in at 46 stones and having an arse larger than a rhino’s does not fit into this category. We do sympathise with Mrs Paterson and her “difficulties” and as a matter of courtesy we have sent her seven silk bed sheets modified to knickers and provided her partner with a 14” extender.”

Paris because only her body type should wear v-type of underwear.

Paris Hilton

One in the eye for you

How the hell was she hit in the eye? My understanding of underwear is that they go on the lower body and nowhere near your own head. I am betting on misuse of them to fashion some sort of sexy catapult...

Coat

An IT Angle

She could have bought her knickers on-line?

Mines the one with y-fronts hanging out of the pocket.

Jobs Halo

Is a V-string better than .....

A Mac Book Air?

Bronze badge

Yes, we're turning into the Sun.

Then register a candidate in that convenient by-election, standing on a platform of commitment to sort out NHS IT systems.

IT icon because there isn't a 'Your country needs you' one.

Alert

52yo in a V-String?

Peek-a-boo or not, thankfully my breakfast was eaten and digested before my someone over active imagination kicked in!

Paris Hilton

ewwwwwwww

52 yr old getting into one of victoria secrets V strings...

It's lunch time... People are eating.

Paris because only people of her age group should be wearing that kind of underwear.

Linux

The important question

The important question though, surely, is wtf is a 52 year old doing trying to put on something intended to be 'sexy'??? She's likely to dislocate a hip doing something like that!

Penguin, because the thought is sooo not hot that it's icy-cold.

Coat

Blind guess

Utterly blind guess here, but if the garmet was even a single size to small for her I'd think Victoria Secret will have a simple enough defense.

Dead Vulture

Probably trying to fit...

.... a size 20 arse into size 8 pants. It happens a lot. Particularly in the US

Vomiting avian because it reminds me of a particularly stomach-churning Florida experience in 1992

Silver badge

roflmao

Ah, V-String = open crotch panties.

/me stifles school boy like snigger.

"Her lawyer, Jason Buccat, said that the injury caused by the flying v-string will affect his client for "the rest of her life"." I take it she is blind in one eye now then, and not exaggerating in the hope of a big payout.

Perhaps Victoria's Secret will be instructed to stitch a warning label and disclaimer along the lines of, "VS will not be held liable for any actions which my cause more than your partner to catch an eyeful" on future panties.

I will resist the usual stereotyping of Americans relating to their size and the over stretching of flimsy garments.

Coat

And the point of those is .....

Good grief, whats the point of those? Better off surely not to bother at all.

True geek girls know the benefits of something more substantial, and geek boys boys similarly like to find something that you can properly get your teeth into. Or is it just me with a repressed childhood, and fantasies of catching a glimse of a flash of a pair of navy's ......

Mines the one with the pair of Bridgets in the pocket.

Anonymous Coward

need a closer look

at these V strings, maybe one of the reg girls could model one?

Dead Vulture

A zebra is the largest size

If the malfunctioning undergarment had been a brassiere, would the resulting brouhaha have been a tempest in a T-cup?

"Hanging is too good for a man who makes puns; he should be drawn and quoted."

- Fred Allen

Coat

No IT angle?

And I was thinking a v-string sounded just like it came from a coder's mouth.

Coat's on and I'm fleeing out the door.

Bronze badge

I feel sorry

for whichever doctor she called!

Paris Hilton

Lemmie get this straight

Ok, Let's get this straight -- she in her 50's trying on a thong? As they say, "too much information!". Not only does she show extremely poor taste for even attempting to wear a thong she is also an incompetent in that she can't even put on underwear with out hurting herself. But maybe she was confused -- after all, she was hit in the eye -- and was trying to put it on over her head?

Paris as she would know how to use the v-string

Boffin

Safety First

I remember in shop, our instructor always insist on eye protection. I know why now.

Honey, Get Ready! I'll be up in a minute, just getting my goggles....

Law
IT Angle

The IT angle

How else will I get the network admin's to work if their big red flashing time-waster light doesn't go off once in a while by clicking on lingerie links on el reg!! :)

Paris Hilton

Craig Ferguson

The V String was just defending itself.

@AC

''How the hell was she hit in the eye? My understanding of underwear is that they go on the lower body and nowhere near your own head. ''

You are assuming that it was the lady in question who was actually wearing them.....

There's more than one way of spicing up the lovelife of middleaged couples....

Allegedly

Thumb Up

@RickyTheRiot

"52yo in a V-String?"

Oi! Some of us like younger women. :P :D

Silver badge
Happy

The Reg is going to Hell!!!

The Victoria Secrets search tool has blown a fuse! You've killed Victoria Secrets! Millions of PFCs around the World are cursing you, El Reg, your descent to the Bottomless Pit is guaranteed!

V-String?

Fanbelt

Paris Hilton

Fat Americans

Am I the only one who finds it deeply suspicious that she was a member of the world's most obese nation.

My mind is reeling from shock from picturing one of their porkers struggling to wear a thong that was designed for a more "european" build.

Of course Americans have a famous lack of common sense and require warning labels on absolutely everything (like "Careful this hot coffee is hot and will burn you if you pour it on your lap so try not to do that").

Trying to wear a thong that is several sizes too small and pulling it so hard that your gut is straining up against it with enough force to fire metal into your eye is not something I can imagine anybody outside of America attempting to do.

Thongs in America should carry warnings signs like:

"If you cannot touch your toes then under no circumstances wear this thong. If you cannot see your toes then you should not go out in public. If you bend over to try and touch your toes make sure that you have proper medical supervision. This thong not for sale or use in America."

Paris because she has the good sense to avoid the danger of thongs and never wears them.

Gold badge
Coat

OK, inquiring minds want to know ..

.. which eye is she talking about?

The dodgy mac, thanks..

Thumb Up

video of the offending items here

http://ktla.trb.com/news/ktla-video-thong,0,544693.htmlstory

Yep, I'm so sad I googled for it.

Coat

NSFW - Oh nooooo!!

The link to Victoria's Secret was down so I googled "vstring" - it came up with this site.

http://www.rosesturn.net/vstring.html

I am now feeling a little unwell (and the little unwell like's it!!)

Mine's the dirty one with the holes in the pockets (anonymous for obvious reasons!)

@Andy

I am from Florida (yes Andy Florida is in the US). I see a LOT of extremely huge and fat Europeans every year. Not sure exactly where you get your information, but you'll have to trust me on this one.

Or I will send you pics.... ;)

I assume you are trying to be funny, but just missed the mark with this. Better luck next time.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums