back to article US Senate to probe Goo-Hoo!

The US Senate's Antitrust Subcommittee will investigate Yahoo!'s Ballmer-battling search tie-up with Google. Yesterday, as Jerry Yang and company announced the death of talks with Microsoft, Google officially told the world it plans on serving ads to Yahoo!'s search engine in the US and Canada. And this sparked a a few words …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Daniel B.

GooHoo! monopolistic, but Microhoo isn't???

Interesting how the US Senate keeps mum about Ballmer/Icahn trying to take over Yahoo!, but as soon as Google comes to the "rescue", they're suddenly all concerned about anti-trust.

Is it just me, or does all this just sound stupid? I'd be more concerned about a Microsoft takeover, than Google merely sharing advertising with Yahoo!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@ Daniel B

Err in the search market, Google has 60% and Yahoo! and MS Live has 15%. Do the maths here.

I will just get my coat, which is next to Commissioner Kroes' coat

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ AC

Doesn't change the fact that if Microsoft acquired it, you know 'two technology giants' (which they BOTH are) it should warrant anti-trust too, otherwise it is double standards.

4. Thaddeus Aid

@Daniel B

Do you actually take MS live search seriously? I use google to search microsoft.com.

5. Rick
    Joke

if

if you google my YAHOO! it becomes a very goo-hooey mess...

6. Kevin Kitts

There is a reason...

turn, turn, turn...whoops, sorry.

There is a reason the government didn't cast its eye on Microsoft's bid. It's because they knew that Yahoo was violently against the deal. If Microsoft had a chance of doing the deal, then they would have butted in.

Besides, the OS on the Congressional computers is probably Windows. When someone has you by the balls, you generally don't provoke them too much. Yahoogle, at best, only has two toolbars to screw around with.

7. Trevor Pott Gold badge

Much as people hate to face it...

Much as people hate to face it...a Yahoo!/Microsoft Live merger might have resulted in an entity with the potential of challenging Google. Might, potentially have. Nothing more. Microsoft would not instantaneously gain super powers, and would not even be playing in the same league as Google at that point. It simply might have had a chance.

What gets me is that while Vultures here seem quite ready to moan and groan about the monopolistic practices of Microsoft in it's various arenas, they will defend Google’s "right" to a monopoly with all the powers the internet can give them.

A Microsoft Live/Yahoo! merger could have been a good thing, in that, while narrowing the number of competitors Google has, might have provided one that could have at least stood up to Google.

Microsoft's Live division is a money looser, and we all know this. It bleeds everywhere, and eventually it will have to turn a profit or be cut. Yahoo has is a fallen star desperately trying to regain the glory of yesteryear. Google is an 800 lb gorilla that watches all the smaller animals with amusement, wondering if or when the time might come to squish one or two of them.

Yahoo, backed by Microsoft's money might have forced at least an AMD/Intel amount of competition into that market. Instead, we'll just have Google, alone and untouchable.

Will the last Google fanboi fanatic please remove the chains used to tie yourselves to the googleplex when you leave?

Thanx.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Yea Jerry!

I don't get this MS is already a monopoly wanting to help them ruin another sector seems obviously wrong. Fuck Icahn he doesn't have a clue what he's doing in the tech sector, they need to stick a fork in his brick and mortar 20th century ass. Google probably is luke warm on all this but anything to screw MS is fine with them and me.

9. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects
    Coat

Ook?

Is this the same senate that can't be bothered to ask a monkey how he got them into an illegal war?

The same one irresponsible for permitting GITMO and renditions?

Nice to think it will impinge on us to our favour.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

"Those who can't do, investigate"

No wonder Congress' approval rating is at 19%.

Google and Yahoo provide fantastic products, without any charge to the end users. Congress steals and spends productive people's money, with huge plans to steal more next year (in cahoots with the new president.)

Who will investigate the anti-competitive activities of the Congress?

11. C
    Paris Hilton

RE: Do you actually take MS live search seriously?

MS Live search is an even bigger turd than Vista, Have you ever seen the version that gets installed on XP? Suddenly using the search to find files becomes utterly worthless. And there doesn't seem to be any options for letting it search anything other then document/sound/picture files or emails.

PH cuz' she could find files faster.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

@Trevor

Here, here.

It is about time that people should in my opinion, question the behemoth that is Google. IMHO, Google is Microsoft 2.0.

13. Pete
    Thumb Up

@ Kevin Kitts

~Yahoogle, at best, only has two toolbars to screw around with.~

Far King Brilliant! ...Well said sir.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like