back to article Country mice oppose Yahoogle

Even rural America takes issue with this Yahoogle idea. Today, six organizations representing "the dusty back road of the information superhighway" shot a letter to John Conyers and Patrick Leahy - heads of the US House and Senate judiciary committees - calling for public hearings on a potential search tie-up between the world …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Daniel B.
    Thumb Down

Um...

I'd rather see a Yahoogle! than Microhoo.

Something's rotten in the rural US, and it smells like Icahn...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Um...

"Something's rotten in the rural US, and it smells like Icahn..."

I doubt it, Icahn needs to talk up a deal between Google and Yahoo, otherwise people will realize that his 'plan' is to sell Yahoo to only 1 bidder, Microsoft. But single bidder firesales like that never get the maximum price for shareholders.

If anything this will be MS inspired, trying to scupper any deal between the two.

I hope when this is over the SEC goes and takes a good look at it.

3. Charles Manning

Microhoo or Yahoogle or nothing: same outcome

There would be no difference in the outcome if we preserve the status quo, have a Microhoo or a Yahoogle.

status quo: MS and Yahoo continue to slide and will both be footnotes in internet history within a couple of years. Google is left stronger than before.

Microhoo: Microhoo will kill Yahoo more humanely than status quo. MS will have burnt a lot of cash for nothing. MS will continue for a bit longer in this space but the attempt to absorb Yahoo will kill it. Google is left, stronger than before.

Yahoogle: Goggle will ingest a tasty snack and then still want a real meal a few minutes later. MS will live on for a short while same as status quo. Google is left, stronger than before.

4. Herby

Equivalences??

If they complain about Google and Yahoo! then they should also complain about Micro$oft and Yahoo! All in all they are large "search" companies (or at least they want to be!).

Yes indeedy, msn.com has a search window!!

No merger Mr. Icahn!! Sorry! (good for the rest of us!).

5. Gordon Pryra

Who cares?

American foreign policy means that those rural farmers will probably be hiding in their underground bunkers waiting for the first strike at some point in the near future.

If you’re not faming then you won’t need any buyers.

While they are down there, drinking bud and singing songs about the "land of the free", DARPA will be doing all the farming with their Corn Bots (tm)

I think its a stroke of genius for the good old US of A to scare their own unruly citizens into hiding out underground where they can't do any damage, letting their robot overlords do the real work.

6. Elmer Phud
    IT Angle

I'm puzzled

" . . . threatens to create a monopolistic concentration of power in the market for online search and related advertising,"

Who is paying these people to come up with such statements? Did they release similar utterings when M$ was interested in !Yah!o!O!? There's no suggestion of any other route, no other search company - you wonder which half-baked and even more intrusive search they would prefer?

In the land of Wal-Mart they moan about M$ losing out and that we don't end up with Live search as default - is that a bad thing? Maybe it's because Google might give more options than Live - my daughter was trying to find info about a town in Tenerife, Live would only give her locations in North or South America - nothing for Tenerife.

Or are the farmers so US-centric that they don't want to know about the rest of the planet? (or is it the companies that they buy from?)

7. Xander
    Stop

Internet Monopoly

How can an internet site become a monopoly?

A monopoly "exists when a specific individual or enterprise has sufficient control over a particular product or service to determine significantly the terms on which other individuals shall have access to it."

How can Google (or any other engine that ever comes along) stop me typing in anything other than Google? Google is so popular because it's bloody good. MS have their search engine built in(!) to IE and yet Google still gets more traffic. Surely it says a lot when people would rather enter www.google.com and then their search rather than going straight to their search.

8. Gordon Pryra

sigh

Its all about the shares in Yahoo they own, they just want the amount Microsoft offered over the rubbish amount they are worth if they just host Google adds.

9. Glenn Charles

something rotten in the state of...e-searching

The pertinent question to ask here is who paid for the complaints. Google is the best source of the kind of information mentioned, currently. Some of the desktop multi-engine tools work nearly as well in my opinion, but that's it.

--Glenn

10. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

"National Latino Farmers & Ranchers Trade Association"

I already knew they didn't treat the illegals at all well in America, but I didn't know they had stooped so low as to farm them for food!

11. E

How about

Goohoo?

YaGooHoo?

Yahoogoogoogoohooghoohoo?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like