back to article Heaven and Earth moved to slot Sun chip in IBM blade

Sun Microsystems has found an OEM partner wanting to give its UltraSPARC T2 chips a new home — inside an IBM BladeCenter chassis. Themis Computer today said it will use Sun's eight-core UltraSPARC T2 - aka Niagara - processors in a new line of blade servers, called T2BC. The deal is a rare third-party licensing victory for Sun' …

This topic is closed for new posts.

It only makes sense

Sun's blades are a joke, so they need to put them in a real blade system. Sun's blade chassis hold 10 blades in a 10u space...duh that's 10 1u's vertical.

density counts

Yeah, 10u space for 10 blades. Duh. Sun used to make em way better.

16 in 3u. beat that!

Thumb Up

RE: It only makes sense

Bearing in mind that there are quad, quad CPU blades, I would be impressed if you could find me a quad, quad CPU server In anything less than 2U (sun) and moreU (other vendors I think) And so it's really 10U instead of 20U (at least) :P

Also, having used the blade6000 chassis, the IBM blade centers and the Dell offerings, I'm actually quite impressed with Sun's.

(for example, PCI slots built in instead of occupying a blade slot.. what a novel *read, sensible* idea :P)

References: AMD quad, quad core

And likewise the X6450 for Quad, Quad core Xeon blades.

Ps, FB

The blade b1600 did rock, the only downside was like of storage attachment options.

This topic is closed for new posts.