back to article Metadata ruins Google's anonymous eBay Australia protest

eBay Australia's decision to force customers from next month to use its own payment service, PayPal, has infuriated a good number of individuals and organizations steamed. The Australian Competition Commission and Consumer Commission (ACCC), which is sniffing around the proposed policy, lists hundreds of submissions from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Seriously, why ARE Google using Word?

Either they have no faith in Google Docs' abilities to er, process words, or someone somewhere who is more likely to be using Word is trying to implicate Google through the use of evil metadata. Apply your own Twilight Zone music and trenchcoats as you see fit.

2. Mark Dowling

Why Word? Because Google probably didn't write it

More likely their lawyers did...

3. Alpy
    Happy

Awesome Work!

I love it when people get caught out like this, I loved even more that someone at Google is using M$ Word over their own product! Awesome work guys, two birds one stone ;)

4. Mark

Mark Dowlin is probably right

Still stinks.

The downer is eBay and PayPal are worse shitehawks.

Life would be much easier if the bad guys ALWAYS lost and were ALWAYS in the wrong.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't Be Evil...

...Just pay some lawyers to do that sort of thing for you.

Like f*cking over one of your largest customers in secret when you're trying and failing to set yourself up as their competitor.

Sweet.

6. Angus Ireland

M$ Word

Mark Dowling will probably be correct.

And anyway, does anyone know if Google Docs can print to PDF?

7. Antoine Dubuc

Google and Word

Hi,

Google is probably just following the requirements of this agency they're filing with. However Google should have scanned the pdf the agency filed publicly first, if they wanted to be anonymous, and who knows what they wanted?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Does that PROVE it was Google?

I don't know, but if I wanted to discredit Google or any other organisation for that matter, couldn't I (as a non-google employee) create a document which I called "from Google", renamed to something else, submitted anonymously and then organised an accomplice to mysteriously discover the original title ?

9. James Smith

PayPal is expensive and cumbersome

For merchants, PayPal is very expensive when compared to alternatives. Its also very cumbersome to use, IMO.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

zzzz...

stop sneaking about behind the scenes google and just launch your own damned auction site! the revenue you lose due to ebay [temporarily!] pulling its advertising will be a drop in the ocean compared to the income you gain from the stampede of disgruntled ebay users, clamouring to sign up.

11. Mark SPLINTER
    Black Helicopters

James Smith : Robot in Disguise

Check it out, now they're sending shills to diss paypal on any comments page matching +google +paypal.

12. Robert E A Harvey

Ebay and paypal

I stopped having anything to do with both of them about 3 years ago. I don't trust them and they don't care about security

If anyone knows a decent, honest, auction site I would be interested

13. James Gardiner

Why all this source code work?

Just go to File -> Properties and the title is viewable from there!

14. Jeff Rowse

@Mark SPLINTER

Bzzt-beep-beep.

Or, in English, "I don't trust Paypal either, and don't forget it takes some of the money made by selling an item. A cheque doesn't cost me or the seller anything, so guess how I pay..."

Boop-Dee-doop.

Translated, that one means "On the gripping appendage, your comment was obviously meant as a joke, so as another robotic shill I was obviously too literal to see it." :-)

15. Moss Icely Spaceport
    Thumb Down

eBay and PayPal

Tat and Crook

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like