Feeds

back to article Chinese supplier offers 'cheapest' Linux laptop

Linux-based sub-notebook for $219 (£111/€139), anyone? That's what Hong Kong-based Bestlink is currently offering - if you're prepared to buy in bulk. Dubbed the Alpha 400, the Eee PC-like machine sports a 7in, 800 x 480 display but is based not on an x86 processor but a 400MHz, 32-bit XBurst chip. It's got 128MB of memory and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

But it's major failing....

This product NEEDS a Bird On The Beach In A Bikini.

Gates Horns

XP Linux leaks out

Whoa! I never authorised you guys to release the XP Linux OS!!!

Whoa #2 - Acer and Elonex also have gotten hold of it as well ??!

Whoa #3 - What the fli!p are you guys doing without me at the helm!!??

Paris Hilton

Small enough...

...to fit between Paris' whatsits

Thumb Down

Drawbacks

1: No built in wifi

2: No chinese babe

Processor weirdness

What's with the ultra-cheap laptops (if your lap is that small - let's call them thigh-tops) all using these bizarre, unknown 400MHz processors? Where the hell have they come from and what were they originally designed for before someone had the bright idea to use them in computers?

It's a safe bet that they're going to obey x86 instruction sets, but how sucky is the performance going to be compared to, say, the 450MHz P3 I had eight years ago?

Heart

Good Lord! (no major religion should be implied by this subject heading)

Wow!

Sod the "no wifi, no bird, no 3G, no performance" - this is a good way forward!

Talk about getting the moon on a stick! The price alone is great for us "wearable" geeks that like to strip down sub-laptops to secrete around a piece of clothing. At this price, we can do loads!

As for performance concerns - fella! It's a sub-laptop; what are you truly expecting?? To be able to play Crisis??! Come on, i still have my 400mhz that runs lilke a dream. Runs films, music, word processing, internet and a couple of games easily. Just because msot laptops have dual core processors does not mean that the user will actually need to use it!

Chinese bird would be good for marketing!

XBurst processor

When you study the supplier's web-pages, it becomes apparent that it is a MIPS-32 clone, much like the Longsoon processor used in the Dutch mini-laptop ("Jizus" or some such name) mentioned here some weeks ago.

So, Steve, no it won't be able to run x86 (except in emulation).

This topic is closed for new posts.