back to article Man barred from posting crimes on YouTube

An Englishman has been ordered to stop bragging about his criminal behavior on the internet after an extensive video library of his misdemeanors was spotted on YouTube by local authorities. Andrew Kellett, 23, was served yesterday with an interim anti-social behaviour order (ASBO) at Leeds Magistrates' Court that bans him …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Martin Owens

File this under

Is this really the best way to deal with criminals? prevent them from giving you evidence so you don't have to investigate their crimes.

Do we have a bunch of Fred Colons and Nobby Nobbies running that police force? do they stand on street corners making sure not to see anything too alarming?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How the F**k can you banned from.........................

"Kellett has been officially banned from being a criminal camerawhore as well as taking part in dangerous driving, failing to observe traffic regulations..................."

How can you be banned from doing something illegal? Isn't everyone already banned from that kinda thing?

3. GlamourAndCompany

Interesting

I'm hoping that he truly does have a genuine disorder, otherwise he's as dumb as a box of rocks.

4. Andy Hards
    Thumb Up

What ever happened to Free Speech?

He has a right to post anything unless it is illegal surely? If he wants to give the Dibble all the info they need to get an easy arrest then that's his own stupidity but I am personally going to fund a campaign to get this overturned and have him declared a National hero with the keys to the City of Leeds and stuff.

5. The Mighty Spang

drug use?

You sure? didn't the owner of a manky beehive and small piggy eyes augmented by mad eye makeup get caught doing this then have no charges?

as for the rest well they are criminal offenses and surely they should be prosecuted rather than asbo'd if they got the evidence?

6. Mark Vale

I have the answer, does HMG have the balls ...

Most of these young men, who commit crime as frequently as most people brush their teeth, consider the punishemnts they face as a badge of honour.

Jail time or an ASBO are to be bragged about.

How about reversible chemical or surgical impotence as a punishment?

"You can't get it up for one year sayeth the judge".

Then make sure everyone who knows the criminal knows what the sentance is.

It is, after all, young men who mainly cause the problem and young me will not brag about a limp dick.

7. Ben Mathews
    Happy

I hate to be pedantic...

Well, actually I love to be pedantic. The 'former' video you mention contains no drug use, the latter however does.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Conspiracy surely.

Telling the man not to publicly confess to his crimes is conspiracy to cover them up! Tut tut. Hilarious though.

Probably is a vialation of his freedom to express himself. I see his advertising of his crimes as a call for help, with the right electroshock therapy to his testes he could lead an almost normal life.

9. mh.

Dumber still

This one was just some chav wanting to show off. For a more impressive one, how about someone showing up at the Leeds office of West Yorkshire Trading Standards hawking a load of counterfeit DVDs: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/18/confused_dvd_pirate/

10. Nordrick Framelhammer
    Paris Hilton

I cannot help wondering...

what it is about todays criminals in that they seem to have this insane predilection for publicly circle jerking about their illegal exploits as though they cannot get caught.

Is this an inbred genetic trait that seems to be working it's way through the mainly chavish petty criminal classes?

A suitable punishment would be to make them do knitting while being force to listen ot a looped version of Jame Blunt's "Your Beautiful" for a week straight.

On second thoughts the last part of that would not be allowed under the UN's Convention on Human Rights, which applies to everyone but his record company, it seems.

Paris because she is disappointed at not coming up with this brilliant idea for publicity herself.

11. Moss Icely Spaceport
    Thumb Down

Leeds

Say no more....

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Free speech

As far as I can tell, it's been abolished in the UK to the extent that it ever existed (ie, the government suffers the population to have it despite there being no particular legal reason for it to exist). Despite that it still kind of amazes me that you guys seem to tolerate your government having the power to arbitrarily apply any punishment to any situation. You're posting videos we don't like? You now have an ASBO to... let's see... move to London and wear pink hats on Tuesday! Right, then...

13. George Johnson
    Alert

I'm genuinely surprised!

I'm genuinely surprised that he has managed to learn to operate a mobile phone and a computer with his knuckles dragging on the floor. What a prat, but like previous posters have said, if he wants to record his crimes for easy processing through the courts, let him.

However there's the problem, so much of this sort of thing is going on, being publicly recorded and these troggs still continue to walk free. So much for all the survellance equipment being put up by Gordo and his cronies, does it only track terrorists and the genuinely innocent going about their business calling a cult a cult? It sure as hell isn't cutting petty crime is it!

14. Pete Silver badge

@I cannot help wondering

> about their illegal exploits as though they cannot get caught.

Civitas surveyed prisoners and found that the average is about 140 crimes per year - with druggies committing over 250. At that rate, it does seem likely if you've already committed a load of offences and didn't get caught, then one more won't materially affect their chances of getting nicked. So yes, it does seem like baddies can commit crimes with impunity. Likewise, I'd be surprised if the penalty for committing 140 crimes is going to be much different from committing 139, so once you''ve started down that path, where's the incentive to stop?

So this guy with his 80 offences on video - at the going rate he's somewhere between 1/3rd and halfway towards getting his collar felt. Quite a way to go before he even reaches the average for getting caught. No wonder he's not worried.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

@cant help wondering

The reason i think so many young criminal types put their videos on youtube etc, is exactly because they don't get caught so they may as well show off to their chums.

This person has 80 videos, so thats 80 times he has not been caught. Now he has been caught and there is video evidence yet he gets an ASBO, which is the most pointless and ill conceived legislation ever.

So any other kids watching him see him doing all this and the worst that happens in the police ask to have his youtube account closed.... boo hoo.

16. Paul

Free Speech?

That always makes me laugh when criminals and idiots claim that things infringe their right to free speech, because in the UK there's no such thing! Nor is there a right to peaceful assembly, or in fact, just about anything that comes under the US Constitution.

17. Anton Ivanov
    Paris Hilton

Re: I have the answer, does HMG have the balls ...

Well... It is clear it has not so there is a simple tried and tested solution for that - outsource it.

I will really like to see someone wanting to go to prison for "the badge of honour" if this means chopping your own firewood in middle of the Russian taiga.

By the way, the Germans are already doing this instead of Asbos and it is rumoured to work well. I bet that we can improve on the financial arrangements they negotiated with the Russians. After all the UK can probably negotiate bulk rates. It will be cheaper than maintaining the various forms of HMP and it will never suffer from lack of space.

On a second thought it may be just easier to do this in Canada. In either case it will cost half the current cost of keeping a low grade criminal in an HMP.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Well he is from West Yorkshire

What do you expect from somone from the wrong side of the Pennines.

But seriously wtf did he think was going to happen after posting these things on youtube? Ahh yes he DIDNT think like most of these idiots .. pity he didnt drive so fast as to get a Darwin award.

Mine is the one with Lancashire on the back.

19. Peter Clarkson

More Infuriating Pedantry

@Mark Vale:

"and young me will not brag about a limp dick."

I'm glad you're not going to brag about a limp dick. Crucial, crucial 'n' missing there I think.

20. heystoopid
    Alien

Hmmm

Hmmm, with all this crap happening , sounds to me like the "ASBO" is now well past it's use by date of stupidity in the extreme , as it is absolutely useless both in thought and the concept is now being abused to the point it has become irrelevant in any society !

Who so ever thought about and created this phoney law should wash their minds out in soap and water and clean flush the law of the statute books at the same time they throw out the contaminated water !

Oh , how low indeed , can all the elected 419er style self wanking politicians of the land that vote for these irrelevant surreal laws that protect no one at the best of times , sink below the level of sewer pond scum now (with apologies for the sewer pond scum as it does useful work unlike other lot mentioned thus!) ?

21. Neil

Why bar him?

If he's stupid enough to keep posting videos of his crime on the net, why stop him? Seems to me they're just making it harder for themselves to catch the dimwitted tard in the future.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let him boast

Bragging about a crime is not the same as committing the crime, you may be worried that it will encourage others to commit the crime, but then your prison sentence isn't working as a deterrent then and you should increase it.

23. Joe K

Chimp indeed

"He also said restricting his internet activities could be a breach of his right to free speech"

Someones been watching a bit too many american movies methinks.

24. Alfazed
    Happy

Oh yes, Leeds

and most other UK urbanities as well I should think.

Even dreamy Oxford has it's own crew of extra stupid crims and equally stupid counter crim professionals with the relevant ITC skills.

If you want to gross stupidity at work, ie; blatant drugs use and criminal activities as they happen, you need to get friends on Beebo. Or tune in to any local radio station that has anti drugs adverts sponsored by FRANK.

I was as surprised as you .........

It can't be the stuff they put in the water, or we'd all be doing it right !

Talk about halls of fame. These sad, sad people, are the chaff of life, discarded by the education system and often parents/children's homes as well.

They are only looking for their own "three minutes of fame" and yes, they are the Best of British, and we deserve no less.

If Gordon Brown can use t'internet to give us proof that he is a stupid, out of touch, moronic, dickhead, wot deserves an ASBO, then why can't these young scally wags do the same.

If only our politicians were as open about their own criminal exploits, we wouldn't need expensive Judicial Reviews to find out what they are up to.

Now there's a thought !

25. Edwin
    Thumb Up

Clever plods

I don't agree with the other comments:

If an ASBO is issued explicitly prohibiting some of the things he's clearly doing, then as soon as he reoffends, they can chuck him in the nick PDQ. Quite clever of the police, really.

As for the free speech - I can't imagine why he's fighting the ASBO on this basis. Not posting to internet is his only hope of not adding to the charges...

26. James Dore
    Thumb Up

Leeds' Dumbest criminal?

As a denizen of Sheffield, I can only say that puts him in the running for dumbest criminal in Europe...

27. David Hancock

@ AC

>How can you be banned from doing something illegal? Isn't everyone already banned from that kinda thing?

I think it means that while you or I would get sixty quid and three points for running a red light, once they slap an ASBO on you with the "failing to observe traffic regulations" bit then the offence you're committing is actually breaking the ASBO, not just the traffic regulations. Breaking the terms of an ASBO incurs a custodial penalty IIRC, so you're going down.

28. Chris O'Shea
    Stop

Freedom of "speech" = Freedom of Expression

What right do the police have to ban him from making and posting up videos of his crimes? If they believe that he is going to cause crimes so he can video them or to promote unhealthy or immoral behaviour, then I believe it comes under section (2) of Article 10 of the Human Rights Act 1998. Section 1 says you have the right to put this stuff up, then section 2 says except when the law says you can't.

Human Rights Act 1998

Article 10: Freedom of Expression

(1) Everyone has the right of freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without inference by public authority and regardless of frontiers. This Article shall not prevent States from requiring the licensing of broadcasting, television or cinema enterprises.

(2) The exercise of these freedoms, since it carries with it duties and responsibilities, may be subject to such formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society, in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, for the protection of the reputation or rights of others, for preventing the disclosure of information received in confidence, or for maintaining the authority and impartiality of the judiciary.

29. Mike Fortey

Huh?

..."has been officially banned from ... taking part in dangerous driving, failing to observe traffic regulations, or act in a manner which causes alarm, harassment or distress to any person in England and Wales."

So before-hand he was entitled to break the law any time he wanted?

Whew... I'm glad this court order went in place. That'll certainly stop him from ignoring the law some more!

Paris. Because she'd never cause distress.

30. John Bayly
    Flame

All he's got an ASBO

Really tells us what's wrong with the country.

Have to agree with Mark Vale though, chemical impotence for JUST the duration of his sentence. That certainly wouldn't be a badge of honour.

Either that or we could bring back chain gangs, get them to work on revamping our rail network. It would get lorries off the road, reducing the country's carbon footprint, thus saving the planet. Everyone's a winner (except possibly the HGV drivers)

Damn, I'm sounding like a Daily Mail reader.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe there is reason behind the madness

in it may deter other idiots from commit infractions just to create a video to post.

I'd rather the fools don't have the incentive of publicity to act more foolish than they otherwise might.

32. Steve Evans
    Stop

Good grief...

He posts evidence of his law breaking on youtube, and just get's an ASBO preventing him from posting on youtube?

He's obviously a complete tw*t, and I pity those who have to live anywhere near him.

Why don't the authorities just download the clips, and haul the moron into court and hit him with all the charges. (vixy.net does a good line in youtube downloading).

The authorities are obviously complete tw*ts and I pity those who have to live with them.

33. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

You can almost hear..

the plod discussing this.

Inspector - "Sargent, this youf has posted 80 videos of him taking part in illegal acts, and we haven't stopped him or caught him. He's making us look like fools"

Sargent - "Surely we're doing that ourselves sir."

Insp - "Well yes, but he is making it worst. We've got to stop him, there's nothing else we can do."

Sgt - "Certainly sir, we'll stop him posting those videos immediately."

Insp - "Good show Sargent. That'll be much easier that catching him actually doing anything illegal. Anyway it's not like he's copying MP3's or anything _really_ serious, eh?"

34. Clive Powell
    Alien

Free Speech

This is a percularly American (USA) thing, where shouting obsecenities is allowed under the banner "Free Speech" although try saying "Kill Bush", when not at a Garden Centre might get you into trouble. You can say almost anything you wish in UK, if you are at Hyde Park Corner, and what you are saying will not outrage public decency or you do not call the Scientology lot a cu*t.

Wondered what this icon meant, but found out under the Cult posts.

35. Hans Mustermann
    Thumb Down

@David Wiernicki

Actually, despite what it's name might suggest, an ASBO isn't actually an order to behave antisocially, or indeed to do anything at all. It's a court order to stop doing something.

I.e., an ASBO _can't_ tell you to come to London on a Tuesday and wear a pink hat, or indeed to do anything at all. It can only tell you to stop doing something.

And in that aspect, it's not that fundamentally different from US justice or anything else. An US court of law can order you to stop stalking your ex-girlfriend and/or to stop making any contact with her, for example. Or they can order you to never be within X miles of any place with children (apparently in at least one county the only place that's ok is under a bridge) if you peed in public. Civil cases can (and routinely do) also effectively result in being ordered to do something, or stop doing something, or it can be a part of the settlement.

Or you can get effectively an implicit ASBO, so to speak, via "three strike laws", parole checks, etc. There's an implicit "if we catch you doing illegal stuff again, you're getting some extra jail time", even if it's not a formal ASBO like in the UK.

In this case, slice it as you want, they've effectively told this guy "ok, we're calling you before a court, and if you're doing any of that shit again in the meantime, you're getting some extra jail time." I'm guessing that ASBO or not, the outcome would be the same in any western legal system. (And probably everywhere else too.) If you're called to court for stealing cars, and steal another car to get there, I'm guessing you'll get slapped harder by any judge in the world. Adding an ASBO to it just makes it formal, so the retard can't pretend that he still didn't know he's not supposed to do that.

Now I'm not saying Britain's system is flawless, or that it doesn't produce some hilarious mis-applications of the system. But please at least have some clue what you're talking about, before letting it rip with the "your government" comments. Criticizing any country or government or legal system based on little more than your own imagination about how it works, is kinda silly, ya know?

36. Shinobi87
    Unhappy

errrrrrrrr mush

asbos are abit bullshi*t i mean i once read about a 14 year old chav who got banned from shipley town center for two years. he was only allowed on his own road but everywhere else he had to have his mam! what good is it to keep a 14 year old confined for two years. you should be trying to show them that being a chav isn't a good thing not getting them set on the path of hating! my plan is why don't we make chav island, like we did with australia that turned out ok in the end! we might have 100 years with a shortage of foul moth builders tho

37. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

officially banned from breaking the law ?

which leads one nicely to the presumption that those of us who do not have ASBOs are perfectly within our right to break the law. Cool, in that case: regarding drug taking - I no longer wish 10,000 other offenses to be taken into consideration; regarding speeding - I no longer with 1,000 other offenses to be taken into consideration; regarding theft - could I just hang your coat up for you... etc

38. oliver Stieber
    Paris Hilton

trespassing?

trespassing isn't a criminal act it's a civil one.

Anyhow, what's wrong with bragging, now that were a servalance state surly he should be rewarded for this kind of activity.

Paris, because she knows the difference between criminal and civil

39. Simon Ball

Sigh

The ASBO is essentially nothing more than a legal mechanism for attaching a criminal penalty to behaviour that the community finds objectionable, but which is not in itself criminal. The fact that ASBOs are being breached doesn’t mean they aren’t working as intended. Arguably they are working exactly as intended – giving the police legal grounds to incarcerate people for grossly anti-social behaviour. The fact that the police don’t actually take up that opportunity to prosecute is hardly a fault with the ASBO itself, though it does make issuing them singularly pointless.

Personally, I find the idea of giving courts the power to criminalise certain types of behaviour without recourse to parliament – essentially giving them the power to legislate - more than a little worrying, but since they can only do so on a case-by-case basis, and the process is subject to review all the way up to the Lords, I was prepared to give it a chance. But if the criminal penalties attached to a breach aren’t actually enforced, then they are a complete waste of time. It’s just another example of the state being too incompetent to succeed at being oppressive.

40. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

"He has handed us the evidence against him on a plate."

Good job, 'cos the police don't seem to have the ability to investigate for themselves anymore. They need CCTV, databases and public appeals to get anything done these days.

41. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

What a F*ckwit

How on earth does this idiot manage to get out of bed in the morning?! What kind of imbecile films his own crimes and winges when he gets collared?! My question is why hasn't he been arrested, charged and convicted of the crimes he seems so proud of?! And the subject of his ASBO!!!! Since when are the rest of us allowed to break the law!!! There are times when comedy and satire just become superfluous.

42. anarchic-teapot

@Simon Ball

Court decisions have long been part of the English legal process. This is called "case law", and can be damn useful in working out a sensible/coherent application of halfwitted legislation, or helping to plug gaps in the law.

It is, of course, always subject to review (i.e. appeal to yer higher legislatures) in the normal way.

43. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@"How the f***... " AC

It makes it extra-specially illegal if you're on an ASBO and multiplies the effects of being caught doing it; stealing a mars bar normally is wrong, but stealing a mars bar while on an ASBO banning you from stealing would be "wrong X ASBO" and you'd be punished accordingly.

In theory, anyway.

44. Paul Buxton
    Paris Hilton

Dumb criminal?

“Kellett must be in the running to be Leeds’s dumbest criminal," Leeds City councillor Les Carter told the The Times. "He has handed us the evidence against him on a plate."

It's already been said but Kellett is still a damn sight more intelligent than the judge who has banned him from owning up to his crimes. Now that's dumb.

Paris hasn't been banned from making videos.

45. Louis Cowan
    Unhappy

madness

It's like someone walking down a town centre shouting "I've just killed my cat" being told to stop shouting.

Serious repercussions need to be felt by these criminals. Bare cells, no TVs, proper sentences, hard labour - any of the above!

46. Simon Ball

Actually,

Come to think of it, there may actually be some logic to this. YouTube is not exactly big on quality, and cameravideophones are pretty rubbish as well. Combined with the fact that the video is from an unregulated and uncertified source (ie not a licensed CCTV), and has been hosted by a third-party, and therefore, is vulnerable to manipulation, it would not at all surprise me if not a single one of those videos is of evidentiary quality, and therefore actually admissable in court. Of course, they may be good enough to help the police find other evidence, but maybe not.

However, by applying an ASBO, and monitoring his internet activity, they can send him down even if there is nothing in the videos he posts that is remotely useful to either the police or the courts.

47. Joe Montana
    Flame

Only england and wales?

Leeds is already a fair way up the country, what's to stop him driving (in accordance with road regulations of course) up to scotland to harass someone?

48. Richard Cartledge

How can you be banned f

"How can you be banned from doing something illegal? Isn't everyone already banned from that kinda thing?"

- It's a government con-trick, they now give ASBOs which are not criminal convictions, but civil orders applied for by the local authority. So that's 80 fewer crimes on the crime figures.

49. Paul
    Happy

Plod & the CPS.

I doubt very much the Police didnt want to do anything. More likly the CPS felt that there was not enough evidence to take the cases to court. Most probably the case would have been trowen out because you could not prove the YouTube video was real and one video was not enough for a crime.

They probably dicided to go for an ASBO because it basicly says "we know you did it, but cannot prove it in court, but if we do catch you you are in a whole world of crap"

50. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

I've got something he should be banned from..

...breathing.

Seriously, this moron is an oxygen thief. The sad thing is, he's hardly alone.

It would be a crime to allow him to carry on living and a crime to humanity as a whole if he's allowed to breed (god forbid he already has)

Paris Hilton because she's about as intelligent.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like