back to article Teen battles City of London cops over anti-Scientology placard

Anti-Scientology campaigners are up in arms after it emerged that City of London police issued a court summons to a teenager for displaying a sign that branded the Hollywood-bothering, UFO-fancying sect a "cult". The incident occurred on 10 May outside Scientology's controversial Square Mile headquarters, at a rally spearheaded …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Paris Hilton

misread

maybe she thought it said cunt?

Paris.....

Unhappy

Where's the Daily Mail when you need them?

They should be worried about this lot rather than Islamic extremists. Then again, I can't see the Daily Mail reading dunderheads of the world turning on Tom Cruise or John Travolta.

Joke

He got it wrong

it's SEE YOU NEXT TUESDAY, not SAW YOU LAST TUESDAY.

Anonymous Coward

your

your law enforcement working in you the citizens best interests yet again.

Do not question your betters, little people.

Citizens? Know your place!

Anonymous Coward

Double standards

And yet the police stood by and did absolutely nothing when masses of people in this country took to the streets and demanded the death of an innocent British Citizen (Salman Rushdie) while they hung effigies and carried placards instructing anyone who found him to kill him.

Thumb Down

Why am I not surprised?

It's simply the thought police telling us what we are allowed (and not allowed) to think.

George Orwell. 1984. (For those of you that haven't read it - I read it recently and was gobsmacked).

Of course, once the Government have the ability to store all our communications, they will able to search for dissidents like me, and, having sentenced them to 'thought crimes', can ship them off for 'thought re-alignment'.

Thumb Down

Outrageous

Do I really have to elaborate on this?

Thumb Up

sweet

If this goes to court we could win the right to call scientology a cult :D

Black Helicopters

Cu*t

How about a mass-milling-around outside HQ - everyone holding Cult Clothing (Google them) carrier bags? :o)

Freedom of speech may be under attack but nobody will stomp on your freedom of shopping!

Stop

Astounding

How can summarising a High Court judgement lead an unbought police force to issue a summons under the Public Order Act?

Someone at City of London is dealing from a straight deck

Thumb Down

Free speech...

..anybody?

Welcome in UK of 1984!

Happy

where's Boris..

.. when you need him? I'm sure he would side with the protester and stand up for his right to free speech (as long as he wasn't a scouser)

DM

@ AC(s)

Until I'm notified(forced to be) otherwise I'll be a british subject thankyouverymuch!

Coat

WTF

Sad state of affairs - Reinforces the view that we're truly living in a 3rd world, clapped out, crapped out shit hole of a country where the police can be bought for a few doughnuts, a free film and a copy of the latest masterpiece by L. Ron Hubbard.

DM

I'm

the guy in the orthopaedic shoes!

Stop

Wrong

So very wrong! This really has got to stop.

It's about time that the gov were reminded that they're not our rulers, but our servants. We supposedly elect them to administer things on our behalf. Policy like this, using the police to take away people's right to free speech is simply unacceptable.

Public order act = Arbitary power

Yet another example of how section 5 of the public order act gives the poilce arbitary power to restrict expression. When will the country wake up and force parliment to revoke this oppressive law?

@where's the daily mail

They're too busy exclaiming against the "cult of emo" right now.. please leave you name, number, NI number and inside legmeasurement and they'll get right back to you.

Flame

Cu*t of Cu*ts

F*cking ridiculous. They're not a recognised religion in this country (cu*try?), so they shouldn't be able to hide behind religious discrimination laws or similar. I don't give a flying f*ck whether what I say upsets them, just like they don't give a flying f*ck that their repression of my right to free speech upsets me.

I want them to come to my area (Sheffield). I've converted a Mormon missionary into a beer-swilling smoker, so my next challenge is this lot. F*ck, I might even make the effort to go find some of them.

Flames, as they would once have been burned as witches, the lot of 'em.

Alien

What's wrong with "cult"?

Merriam-Webster says:

1.formal religious veneration : worship

2: a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents

3: a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents

4: a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>

Sounds perfectly good. Christianity is a "cult". Maybe the cops should learn the use of proper english? Or the protesters should.

Xenu icon, you know why.

Anonymous Coward

Your honour, what is this scientology you're talking about?

I'm going to protest that "Scienceology is a cult", carry a placard and wear a t-shirt with the statement written on it. There's nothing the police could (should) do.

Alien

TBH...

I think that the Brighton civil rights groups are going to cause problems for the protests. I've seen their little newsletter and they seem to be far more interested in fighting the plod than protesting the Clut of Scientology.

For anyone interested in this who isn't following the Enturbulation boards, the Queen Victoria Street protest (where the teenager, aka EpicNoseGuy, was issued his summons) is policed by the City of London Police, and the Tottenham Court Road one by the Met. The Met don't seem to care if the CoS get called a Cult.

Also, in fairness to the CoLP Cops, they didn't stop anyone chanting cult, and let signs that didn't directly call the CoS a cult, but did use the word, stand. Overall the police have seemed very professional and well-disposed to the protests.

Alien because, well, yeah. LOL Xenu.

Silver badge
Alert

Out of interest...

I have several t-shirts proclaiming my faith in metal music, one even declaring the fact using the word "faith". The next time some bunch of brain-dead chavs decide to take exception to my "faith", hurling abuse, I assume I can rely on Mr Plod to come to my rescue, carting the ne'er do wells off to clinky? No, didn't think so!

Thumb Up

sealed

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Authorities_in_Belgium_raid_Church_of_Scientology

We raided the building and sealed it off. Since the 12th of april the building is closed and hasn't reopened.

Thumb Down

what the hell....

.....happened to free speech, does that mean i am going to be arrested the next time i wear my I'M WITH STUPID t-shirt?

Thumb Down

@alphaxion

"They're too busy exclaiming against the "cult of emo" right now.. please leave you name, number, NI number and inside legmeasurement and they'll get right back to you."

Can the last person to leave please turn out the lights.

re: What the hell....

".....happened to free speech, does that mean i am going to be arrested the next time i wear my I'M WITH STUPID t-shirt?"

Only if you're standing next to one of those cu... scientologists, I guess.

Alert

If the Brits let this pass, they will shortly realize they have given away everything.

What the London law enforcement is doing is attempting to shape reality in favor of a dangerous cult. They are doing so by criminalizing the truth. If they can criminalize free speech, they can control thought.

The implications are huge. The same law could be used to criminalize all truthful advocacy regarding any corporation or governmental entity.

All advocates for free speech, and all advocates for human rights ought to be pounding the battle drums over this. If the Brits let this pass, they will shortly realize they have given away everything.

Tom
Black Helicopters

Did anyone...

Read the links attached to the last big scientology article from El Reg? I did, all of it, and it's fucking scary. I would not like to mess with these guys, they seriously believe in powers of mental manipulation, and give followers 'levels' (for which they have to pay to be merited on) mostly based on social observing and manipulation techniques, and reading this article just goes to show how far the long tentacle does actually reach!

Still hasn't 'cured' Tom Cruise though, despite his best efforts.

Silver badge
Black Helicopters

Telling the truth.....

is now a criminal offence that can land you in jail.

Coat

The notice...

...issued to the protester reads "The sign ... commits an offence under ... The ... Act."

The police clearly believe that it is the sign that must be prosecuted, not the protester.

Mine's the one with "I'm with that cult^H^Hnt" on the back.

Alien

Just Noticed...

There's a link for the Scientology channel on YouTube at the bottom of this story, that I assume they paid for. After the Google fiasco, that makes me all happy inside

IT Angle

Whos to blame?

The police have to uphold the law, its there job.. So do we blame the coppers for this or the numptys in westminster that wrote it..

Now the reason they had to act could be some jumped up Scientology lawyers made a complaint and cited the act and the subclause, the plod checked it and had to act.. Of course the good old Scientologists wouldn't do THAT.

Go

Double Agent

Time to get some more "you tubesque" videos out from the inside.

Any Volunteer's ?

Time to buy T-shirts from "The Cult"

I wonder if you can arrested for wearing the T-Shirt of a band?

In this country, probably yes. We make China seem liberal now.

Black Helicopters

<title>

The "Church" of Scientology use a similar tactic to Islam.

When anybody criticises them in any way they just shout very loudly to drown out the critic, then use the excuse that being a "religion" allows them to act in any way they choose, because they act upon the will of their chosen diety.

Anonymous Coward

as an aside...

The ElRons don't like having their HQ photographed - especially not if you're taking pics of the hilarious videos they run there.

"It makes me feel like Superman"

"If I met L Ron Hubbard I'd hug him"

etc. etc.

Had an "interesting discussion" with one of their security guards when photographing them one night!

Re: Whos [sic] to blame

Dear, dear babz - that's utter bollocks. Plod is entitled to use judgement in enforcing the law which is why the Met plods chose *not* to invoke Section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986 against the protesters at the Scientology bookshop on their turf.

And looking at the YouTube video I would suggest that the cu*tists at the bookshop were more "likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress" than the imposing cu*tist front doors at Queen Victoria Street, protected as they were by numerous City of London plods and a plod van.

This is simply a case of the CoL Inspector plod who was in charge on the day deciding to be a wanker for whatever reason (the article suggests a few possibilities). This is simply the flip-side of things like country plod failing to enforce the ban on hunting with dogs. Yes it may well be a bad law from crap politicians but it can also be badly enforced by plod.

Anonymous Coward

Check this...

and see who owns scientologycult.org

Domain ID:D44105129-LROR

Domain Name:SCIENTOLOGYCULT.ORG

Created On:20-Nov-2000 18:22:28 UTC

Last Updated On:11-Jan-2008 00:23:40 UTC

Expiration Date:20-Nov-2008 18:22:28 UTC

Sponsoring Registrar:Spot Domain LLC dba Domainsite.com (R87-LROR)

Registrant ID:ODN-185806

Registrant Name:CSI DOMAIN DIRECTOR

Registrant Organization:Church of Scientology Int'l

Registrant Street1:6331 Hollywood Blvd

Registrant Street2:

Registrant Street3:

Registrant City:Los Angeles

Registrant State/Province:CA

Registrant Postal Code:90028

Registrant Country:US

Registrant Phone:+1.3239603500

Registrant Phone Ext.:

Registrant FAX:+1.3239603508

Registrant FAX Ext.:

Registrant Email:domains@scientology.net

Admin ID:ODN-203044

Admin Name:CSI DOMAIN ADMINISTRATOR

Admin Organization:Church of Scientology Int'l

Admin Street1:6331 Hollywood Blvd. Suite

Admin Street2:

Admin Street3:

Admin City:Los Angeles

Admin State/Province:CA

Admin Postal Code:90028

Admin Country:US

Admin Phone:+1.3239603500

Admin Phone Ext.:

Admin FAX:+1.3239603508

Admin FAX Ext.:

Admin Email:domains@scientology.net

Tech ID:ODN-203044

Tech Name:CSI DOMAIN ADMINISTRATOR

Tech Organization:Church of Scientology Int'l

Tech Street1:6331 Hollywood Blvd. Suite

Tech Street2:

Tech Street3:

Tech City:Los Angeles

Tech State/Province:CA

Tech Postal Code:90028

Tech Country:US

Tech Phone:+1.3239603500

Tech Phone Ext.:

Tech FAX:+1.3239603508

Tech FAX Ext.:

Tech Email:domains@scientology.net

Name Server:NS0.DIRECTNIC.COM

Name Server:NS1.DIRECTNIC.COM

Paris Hilton

Recruitment season has started

Every year in May , when the sun is shining, Scientology starts of with their new recruitment program. As you should understand, every members financial assets are limited, so new members are more as welcome.

XENU.net and XENU.tv are basicly Scientology controlled vehicles, part of that old Hegelian dialectic principle : Control the message of both fierce opponents and supporters. By making XENU look bad, uninformed people might even get interested in Scientology!

Heart

where's the Anonymous protestors?

there were a few at Cult..err..Co$ headquarters on Saratoga Ave in San Jose. I missed out on the event. When is Anonymous coming back?

Anonymous Coward

Qualified Privelege

Surely quoting from a Judge's ruling in court is one of the few things that, by law, cannot be challenged? (Assuming right to reply, blah blah blah).

Black Helicopters

Don't a lot of top cops

already have there own private club, Masonic Lodge?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/police-defy-force-with-masonic-lodge-715368.html

Basically it is now an offence to upset someone.

If you do something that causes another person distress then you have commited an offence, even it it is a case of 'The truth hurts'.

Welcome to super politically correct UK.

Alert

Turn the tables

How about if I consider the police notice to be threatening, abusive and insulting. It also clearly causes considerable distress. Can I summons the police officer involved under the public order act? What is there to prevent a private prosecution on this basis? No doubt it will be that wonderful court idea of "not in the public interest" that somehow doesn't require any review by the public.

Black Helicopters

So.....

If I, hypothetically, were to hold up a sign in a public place saying Hitler sure was one evil MOFO then a Fuhrer fan club somewhere could successfully make a complaint under this same law?

I fully understand why laws like this should exist but this particular one is poorly worded, to say the least.

Alien

WHOSE A STUPID CULT !!

whats all the elron hubbub about ?

scientology really is a CULT ?

but just in case they try to have me arreseted may i just say that their god really does exist, it's true (see icon below/above/adjacent) - now, can i have my spaceship now ?

Thumb Up

I would suggest

If you feel strongly about this you could always email psd_public@cityoflondon.police.uk with your thoughts.

Thumb Down

Text of the Act.

"any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting, within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby"

Well thats nicely vague.

I feel threatened by the visible representation of the Cult of Scientology in the form of its HQ. It causes me alarm even though I don't live in London. I wonder If I can get PC Knacker to close it down.

Thumbs down, for Scientology, not El reg.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums