Feeds

back to article Google kills Anonymous AdSense account

Google has murdered the AdSense account run by one of the web's most influential anti-Scientology sites. Yesterday, the search giant cut off all ads served to Enturbulation, a fledgling site dedicated to promoting activism against the Church of Scientology and all its related organizations. This could have something do with the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Alien

haha :D

Ads by Google

Learn about Scientology

Learn about beliefs, humanitarian efforts & more. Watch online videos

Scientology.org

they are watching...

Black Helicopters

Well of course

Scientologists are big people with DEEP pockets. I think it is likely they have a fairly large sphere of influence. Who knows how high up into Google they have reached?

I betcha a top Googler is in fact a Scientologist

Details to be revealed in 7 years on 60-Minutes.

*lol*

Where is my "Google" with horns icon.

Alien

Amazon-tology

It's also worth noting that Socientologists have succeeded in censoring, and banning all reviews that are critical of L Ron Hubbard books @ Amazon dot com.

Alert

not an exclusive

Whilst an important story, this story's not an exclusive like the article claims - it was reported a day earlier on Chanology News - http://chanologynews.info/2008/05/chanology/scientology-disables-enturbulations-adsense/

Alert

Google excuse

"advocacy against any individual, group, or organization." - I'm sure I could find a few sites out there advocating all manner of things against Osama and Al-Quaida.

Unhappy

hmm

It is starting to seem like someone high up at google is a member of the cult.

Alien

Not the first time...

A few days ago I noticed that pro-scientology ads were being served up by Google ads on a site that covers a subject the scientologists love to hate.

Judging by comments on the site this did raise some eyebrows.

I wonder if this is another Scientology ploy?

Dead Vulture

right....

"The Register, for instance, is an AdSense user..."

*clicketyclick*

Alert

this is going to end in tears

Well this is only going to fuel anonymous (remember it all started over censorship).

So Here is my guess, either:

a) Goggle is actually run by scientologists or has a few at high levels in the organisation. (They are being a little selective here there are a number of groups that use youtube and or adsense that are strongly opposed to to the ideas of others)

b) Scientology have some very very good lawyers, with a case, and google are taking the easy route out.

c) google are worried that anonymous will take their actions beyone peaceful protest and don´t want to encourage their activities

d) The evil lord Xenu has a holiday home in Cupertino

I guess it´s b) which is encouraging...... it means that scientology, after years of tuning their practices, only has legal recourse against protestors... ok so it means that the web site is a bit skint but the movement continues.... they have no effective answer... a scientology lawyer is not going to be able to stop the internet or people turning up to legally protest.

As for google.... hmmmmm lets theorise....I´m Shell or Exxon or Monsanto ....I complain to google that my ads are going on the greenpeace site... or that greenpeace are engaging in "advocacy against any individual, group, or organization."..... I hate to say it but this is a bit of a president.....

How about Microsoft and <fill in the gap>.....

It´ll all end in tears......

Does this get your AdSense account cancelled?

Scientology is a cult

It´s all about money

All of it´lower level members are brainwashed

All of it´s leaders are on the take

It leads to broken families and has lead to the death of followers

Unhappy

Thought for the day: Is ANY article about S********y totally accurate

Please include both the "pro" and "con". While parts might be, it is very difficult to have the whole article "accurate".

Web sites are probably more severe in their accuracy.

Why do we give these people ANY attention AT ALL?

Anonymous Coward

erm...

Scientology, Illuminati, spot the difference.

Didn't you know...

Larry & Sergei are card-carrying Hubbardtards?

Thumb Down

Google and YouTube

I'm starting to think that maybe Anonymous should start picketing YouTube and Google, to start asking these questions about the suspicious favoritism Google shows for Co$, in a public forum.

I've written to YouTube several times asking about their not banning the Co$ account, when it is demonstrably guilty of the same TOS infringement that got Mark Bunker permanently suspended. They simply don't answer. They'd have to be asked these questions more publically, more visibly, so that they'd HAVE to address it, to avoid negative publicity.

I'd always had a positive image of Google, and YouTube, prior to these incidents. I think I was simply naive to think that their "Do No Evil" motto was anything more than empty gum flapping for PR purposes.

Coat

Obligatory Phorm-related comment

The joys of keyword matching. Enturbulation should be the ones to feel offended. The BNP did.

http://www.newstatesman.com/200804240018

The same type of problem will affect users, rather than websites, with Phorm. Mine’s the one with pockets stuffed full of anti-Phorm leaflets.

No need for nasty conspiracy theories...

It's aaaaaaall about the Benjamins, baby. CoS has more money than Enturbulation, and they represent a larger pool of potential revenue for Google. I doubt that I need to draw you a diagram.

Google: Don't Be Evil. And Losing Money Is An Evil Thing.

Anonymous Coward

A scientologist shill has posted in response to this article.

£10 to the first person to guess which post it is!

Paris Hilton

Interesting

Interesting , if you applied those rules at least half the videos on you tube would be taken down as a violation of the the terms and conditions including the infamous "Rick Roll"

We live in world without justice and much false propaganda !

BLOCK GOOGLE ADS!

Simply download Firefox and then ad the google ad blocker. It's free, easy to use and I no longer get ANY cult of scientology or Google ads whatsoever. Boycott Google and let their advertisers know that Google AND the cult are not welcome in ANY of our lives.

Scientology is a religion. www.scientology.org

Anonymous people use masks which is what criminals do when committing crimes. They've chosen to use methods of criminals and that says all about them.

Mark Bunker behind Enturb?!

Thank you for the article, much appreciated. I'm one of the founding co partners of enturbulation.org and just wanted to point out something in the article that is somewhat misleading. For the record Mark Bunker has no connection whatsoever to enturb in either creation or running of the site.

Whereas his excellent documenting of the cult has been and still is an inspiration to us, that is as far as the connection to us goes. I'm sure Mr Bunker would also agree.

Thanks,

tamphex

Ian
Thumb Down

Re: Scientology is a religion. www.scientology.org

Scientology also stalk, frame and ruin the lives of those that publicly speak out against it - and don't wear a mask. Criminals don't hide their faces behind masks. People that don't want to have their lives ruined by criminal organisations (read: Scientology) hide their faces behind masks.

Criminals also show their faces when committing crimes (I drive over the speed limit while not wearing a mask... oh noes!), does this also mean that people that don't wear masks are criminals? Using this logic, Scientologists are criminals.

Thanks for the comment tamphex, it's good to know.

Silver badge
Joke

Shills

I know, I know. Too bad they're Anonymous Cowards and El Reg allows that to happen. Could be The Register is on the take too????

Stupidest Policy Ever

There is no forum in the world that would not violate Google's prohibition against advocacy against ANY person, organization, etc.

OSAMA BIN LADEN IS A TERRORIST: no good

HITLER WAS A TERRORIST: no good

HITLER WAS THE GREATEST MAN WHO EVER LIVED, AFTER OSAMA BIN LADEN: this is perfectly fine under Google's policies.

Shame on you Google, supporting cults. (another violation)

Silver badge
Unhappy

Not happy about this at all

I mean, okay, Google had to do something. However, I'm sure they could have found a way to only put adds which are not paid for by the CoS. This is a really lazy solution.

By the way, I don't really like the idea that they are choosing their partners in this way... Of course, they have every right to partner with who they choose, but in their position, it's not very far from censorship. Benevolent dictators, but dictators...

And the condition is insane| "Advocacy against any individual, group, or organization"? This covers all the political blogs about Hilrack Obinton...

Joke

Enterbulation

Tamphex is an OUT ETHICS CAT

Just ask Scientologist Tim

Happy

@ Edwin

ROFL @ "Hubbardtards"... nice one :D

Alien

@ Peter Smith

And Xenu loves you too!

"Do No Evil" -- something like that, eh, Google?

Man.

I have had Google.com as my homepage forever...

Between this and Google's bow to China -- I'm thinking maybe Yahoo/Microsoft will be my new choice.

Through no fault of its own, Enturbulation.com has been subjected to scientology's advertisements showing on its site.

Is there no way to opt out on scientology's or Enturbulation's part regarding these ads?

What a shoddy service AdSense is! LOL! How... LOW TECH.

Google -- you disappoint in your inability to provide cutting edge service regarding advertising.

I wonder now how Yahoo and other portals handle this...

I'm off to check this out. Perhaps Google has lost its edge (not to mention its soul).

Another Surfer

Re: Scientology is a religion

Not in the U.K it isn't. You see that .co.uk in the address bar?

While we're on the subject of criminals, I wonder if your world view enables you to see the number of criminal trials brought against the COS in various countries. To quote your own words, "They've chosen to use methods of criminals and that says all about them."

Anonymous Coward

So...

Has Google stopped showing those anti-Catholic, Pope-Darth-Ratzinger-is-the-Antichrist ads, then? Since I think they fit under the banner of "advocacy against any individual, group, or organization."

Alien

It's a silly conspiracy if it is one....

... seems to me that if this is some sort of conspiracy, then it fails miserably... all Google have really achieved is to provide Enturbulation with some high profile reporting...

I'd never heard of Enturbulation before today - and I just usually laugh at the whako's trying to sell me the Scientology crapola... but after reading this I think I'll troop on over to Enturbulation to see what all the fuss is about.... if Google were trying to reduce Enturbulations traffic, I think they picked a really stupid way of doing it...

Flame

@paul anderson

"Scientology is a cult

It´s all about money

"

Sounds just like like the Catholic Church.

Joke

Scientologists in Google...

That explains why most of Google's press statements make as much sense as the Operating Thetan manual....

Pirate

re: Scientology is a religion.

"Anonymous people use masks which is what criminals do when committing crimes. They've chosen to use methods of criminals and that says all about them."

... that is really funny dont you think - considering that the leadership of the organisation "who would like to be known as a church" is ANONYMOUS!

USE YOUR OWN DEFINITION ON YOURSELVES BEFORE APPLYING ON OTHERS!

Coat

RE: A scientologist shill has posted in response to this article.

I thought it would be terryeo - maybe they've retired that one...

Mine's the one with the V mask in the pocket.

Sam
Paris Hilton

@Peter Smith:oh my god i just realised

I'm pretty sure wearing gloves is a habit of criminals in that case... better stop wearing those too

Paris because that was the worst leap in logic I've ever seen, ever...

Anonymous Coward

@ Peter Smith

Sorry everyone, felt like shooting a fish.

"Anonymous people use masks which is what criminals do when committing crimes. They've chosen to use methods of criminals and that says all about them."

The ecological movement chose to term themselves green which is the same colour that armies paint their equipment. They've chosen to use the methods of armies and that says all that needs to be said about them.

See, you're so brainwashed you can't even see that what you said has no bearing on, well, anything. Now sod off.

Anonymity online has a function, and it's working just fine, thanks. In my case it has *nothing* to do with Scientology and everything to do with posting from work.

@Peter Smith

If your definition of religion is 'a load of bollocks' then sure, scientology is a religion.

j
Go

This is a marketing opportunity for one or many businesses.

They should approach Google and *opt in* to advertise on the site, or even approach Enturbulation directly, given the publicity Anonymous gets (from this and various other stories).

Pirate

@AC, re Shill

Well it ain't you, obviously - you're offering to give money to whoever spots it. If it was you, you'd demand a tenner entrance, sorry <i>administration</i> fee and the prize would be a guaranteed new and un-read set of Mission Earth books, together with the scripts for same (written by J Revolting and T Crooze??)

Skull and crossbones cos, let's face it, it's not much short of pirating peoples "choice" of targeted ads...

(Although we prefer the term "Ethically Challenged Merchants" - more Politically Correct, and less likely to catch the attention of the Thought Police and/or, in this case, the Co$ 'Enforcement Crews'...)

Surgeons Use Masks...

"Surgeons use masks which is what criminals do when committing crimes. They've chosen to use methods of criminals and that says all about them."

Fixed. Same crazy logic.

Anonymous Coward

@Paul Anderson

>I hate to say it but this is a bit of a president.....

Which bit? A toe perhaps?

The word you want might be "precedent"?

@system

>Re: Scientology is a religion

>Not in the U.K it isn't. You see that .co.uk in the address bar?

There's no official registry of what is or isn't a religion in the UK.

Scientology is not a charity.

Having seen Anonymous at work in Manchester, they don't look very pleasant the masks give a very sinister air, clearly intended to intimidate. The very things they accuse the scientologists of, I guess that's the idea. Mimicking the bad guy doesn't put you on a moral high ground though.

Google must have changed their policy (again)

In 2002 the Co$ used the DMCA against Google to get the anti scientology site xenu.net delisted from the search engine.

What Google did was replace the search result with a copy of the DMCA letter, which contained the infringing URL. This basically meant that anyone who read the letter would know where to go anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Clambake#DMCA_and_Google_delisting

At the time I thought that was an extremely clever move on the part of Google as they had responded within the requirements of the law but not actually mad much difference. According to the Wikipedia entry (link above), it resulted in the search result for Xenu climbing 2 places in the Google rankings from 4th to 2nd, right behind the official Co$ site.

Stop

@James Anderson

' "Scientology is a cult

It´s all about money

"

Sounds just like like the Catholic Church. '

Sounds more like New Labour to me, but hey -- whatever floats your boat.

A load of bollocks

Even L Ron himself admitted that he invented the whole thing just to demonstrate how gullible people are ...

Then again, it's no more made up than Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Shinto, Buddhism, Zoroastrianism or the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Ash
Joke

Huzzah!

Another gleaming report for the CoS.

Streisand effect, anyone?

Pirate

Google policy.

So, Google don't allow Adsense on sites that have "advocacy against any individual, group, or organization."

So, presumably that means any religious site that knocks any other religion or atheism. Pretty much all atheist sites (they're basically all against religious organisations). Every political site (reds vs blues etc). Every environmentalists site that is anti car/4x4. Every activist site of pretty much any description.

Hmm!

Oh, and @ Peter Smith you cult promoting numpty...

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

(deep breath)

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Dead Vulture

Freemasons, Scientologists Sames thing

Look, they just cannot accept or admit Scientology is a group of people who are driven by self interest. At more than basic 'grunt' level it's just another form of Freemasonry, and frankly I don;t see Freemasonry as that much of a problem.

Just shut up about it being about little green men, invisible alien spirits and outer space wars. L Ron was a very good science fiction writer, so was Frank Herbert but you don;t see a bene gesserit sisterhood as a major "religion" for the non-nerdy amongst you see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bene_Gesserit.

It's all Tosh

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.