Watches may have been created to tell the time, but these days it's much more cutting-edge to use your timepiece to tell you when you're in the vicinity of a Wi-Fi hotspot. WiFi_watch The Wi-Fi Detecting Watch: find web access whilst walking the streets The Wi-Fi Detecting Watch doesn’t let you actually surf the web, but the …
Will it detect WEP/WPA encryption, or just blindly tell you if there's something around broadcasting its SSID? And is that tacky badge aesthetically removable?
WiFi scanning watch + Nokia E51 + Truphone = Cheap / Free calls worldwide.
I'm very interested.
On further investigation, it looks quite likely this thing is completely dumb, and just detects how much signal there is floating around in the appropriate frequency band. In practice, it will be an "I'm in a built-up area in a civilised(-ish) country" detector. My eyes are good for that.
- Geek's Guide to Britain INSIDE GCHQ: Welcome to Cheltenham's cottage industry
- 'Catastrophic failure' of 3D-printed gun in Oz Police test
- Game Theory Is the next-gen console war already One?
- Analysis Spam and the Byzantine Empire: How Bitcoin tech REALLY works
- VIDEO Herschel Space Observatory spots galaxies merging