back to article LaCie's rugged rubber drive hits 500GB

Rubber hard disk fetishist LaCie has upped the capacity of its ruggedly designed portable drive to half a terabyte capacity. Quite resembling an orange inflatable raft, the unit now packs a 500GB Hitachi Travelstar 2.5-inch drive into the Neil Poulton-designed chassis. The LaCie Rugged features a scratch-resistant aluminum …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge

Nah. . .

No true rubber fetishist would go with that colour.

Or so I've heard.

Silver badge

Think of the children

If LaCie is a rubber fetishist, what REALLY happened to Timmy?

Neat Idea

But too expensive. I can get a regular 500 GB drive for about $60-$90.

Paris Hilton

Sink or swim?

So, does it float or not?

But..

Does it float?

SJ
Thumb Up

Photo opportunity for Playmobil ?

Is it just my imagination or would that hard disk make an excellent prop for a Friday afternoon playmobil set scene ?

I think I need some more coffeee...

Happy

@Francis Boyle

It's not actually rubber, it's neoprene I think, so only suitable for a camp athletic geek, or so I've heard.

Stop

Wouldn't trust it

Not since I've seen two Lacie drives go up in smoke, literally. Plus it has a Hitachi DeathStar in it - never a good start!

Thumb Down

rubbish drives

I have a Lacie drive (Firewire) sitting on my desk right now, cover off, as it went titsup last Monday. This is the second drive that's given up the ghost that I've had from Lacie. Total rubbish.

jai
Silver badge
Thumb Up

re: Sink or Swim

where's Prof. Myang Li when you need her?

Bronze badge

@cookieMonster

I'm using "Maxtor OneTouch" (quotes because these days it's a Seagate) with FW400 interface, it works pretty well and the price is good. Fan is bit noisy at startup, though. I just spied OneTouch 4 Plus 500GB model at Amazon for £85 .

Missing the point

Yes you can get cheaper drives and you may also be able to get more reliable ones, but you will be hard pushed to find nicer looking ones.

You're paying the premium for the design.

As for reliability, I've got a TB of LaCie drives at home now, the oldest being 2 years old and I've never had a crash.

Paris Hilton

no no no

Does it blend?

Paris blends.

Paris Hilton

Scratch Resistant?

WTF?

I have one (not the 500GB one), and this is NOT aluminum (or AL-YOU-MINI-UM, as you guys put it). It is cheap plastic with sprayed-on metal paint, and the paint is already scratching off. I'd post a pic of it, but that can't happen here, so I'll post one of PH instead, as she has more style than substance.

All that being said, it works well enough for me. I've been using it for quite some time.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums