back to article Sony and Sky plan summer release for video download scheme

Sony and broadcaster Sky have confirmed that a video download service will be launched for the PSP during the ice-cream season, bringing satellite TV to the portable games console. Go!View enables gamers to access a variety of Sky’s telly content, including films, which are downloaded onto the PSP through a PC. Users choose …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nev
    Thumb Down

Why is the PC in the loop!?

Would make more sense to have something directly on the PSP. Why tether the service to a PC/Mac/[Insert computer of choice here]?

2. Craig

Gimped

This sounds like a gimped extension to the Sky download / Kontiki POS.

The alternative is pick up an old LocationFree from ebay and watch and control anything on your PSP, live, be it satellite or cable :)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Why pay? Sky don't think you ought to have to.

If Sky's parent corporation, News International, feels it's acceptable to hack through protection mechanisms in order to steal other people's content, I don't see how they could object if we all copy their videos and torrent them to each other.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/24/tarnovsky_testifies/

Yo-ho-ho. All Sky/NI content is up for grabs as far as I'm concerned.

4. Gareth Davies
    Paris Hilton

@ AC

Don't really understand the background to the case you referenced do you?

NDS paid a guy to try to crack an NDS protection system. Problem was, the best guy to do this worked for the competition at the time......hence the squirrelled away cash. i.e. The guy was paid to security test a Company's product.

What are dish pissed about? The fact that their system was insecure, or that one of their employees has worked on the side for a competitor. Either way, they are doing it for the shareholders in order to show them they are safeguarding their revenue streams.

Having said that, he could have subsequently let the flaws of his own Company's products be known to NDS and they may have 'accidentally' released this into the public domain in order to undermine their competitors. hmm, now if i'd been fired for doing a foreigner for a competitor......I might think of hitting back in some small way, especially if I didn't feel i'd done much wrong.........

However, these systems are only for the protection of the transmitter really. If Sky had a competing offering to DISH in the US, it would be a concern, but they don't.

Alternatively, it could be argued that they are just exploiting a weakness in the system as a technical exercise to see how robust the competitions systems are.

honest guv.

And absolutely nothing to do with generating more viewers FOC for the NI/Sky owned channels..... These guys make most of their money from advertising remember.

Paris, because it doesn't take much more to crack her than to get free DISH channels.......

5. Graham Lockley

But I thought ..

The all-singing all-dancing PS3 was to be the hub of home entertainment ? I cant understand why they dont use that as the feed for the PSP, it may actually drive sales for both platforms.

6. heystoopid
    Pirate

So

So , does it come with a free rootkit too ?

Or is it like everything else SONY has sold in the past decade a mere flash in the pan doomed to fail miserably of the me follow you , much too little too late variety ?

7. Andy Worth

Re:So

"Or is it like everything else SONY has sold in the past decade a mere flash in the pan doomed to fail miserably of the me follow you , much too little too late variety"

Umm, you mean like the Playstation, or PS2, just for two examples? And with the PS3 and Blu-Ray growing in popularity, perhaps a couple more.

Actually about half of the things that Sony bring to market are successful, and about half are not. Although, rather like the iphone haters, this statement appears to come from someone who just wants to hate something regardless of any other facts.

@Graham Lockley

Agreed - I don't understand why they haven't done that either. Perhaps they will at a later date, with some firmware upgrade to the PS3.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like