back to article Samsung M110 Solid rugged phone

Take a look at the specifications of the new Samsung M110 and you could be forgiven for thinking that you were looking at the details for a handset made a decade ago rather than something fresh off the drawing board. For all concerned, playing tunes and taking great snaps is absolutely not what the M110 is about. The clue is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Coat

Surely that should be

battery life longer than an English SUMMER!!

2. Evil Monkey
    Thumb Up

Just Bought one from Tesco for £30

Bought one of these as a spare phone for when I'm camping or at Festivals. Bought from Tesco's after the review on the Gadget show the other week, only £30 and easily unlocked to put it onto Orange. Great solid little box and rated more solid than the JCB by tests on the gadget show.

3. Stu

Ruggedised and cost

<Quote>

To start with, more functions would equal a higher price and in the real world 'high price' and 'tough' are mutually exclusive.

</Quote>

True, kid gloves aplenty, except theyre not mutually exclusive given the majority of electronics gadgets naturally cost a lot more when adding ruggedisation (wow a new word!) - take any ruggedised laptop, generally underpowered, but bump on at least £500.

I like the phone from what you write about it, but again think this is overpriced for what it truly is. It shouldn't cost £50 over the odds just because they added rubber padding and used higher compound plastics and metals! Raw materials like this over the normal thin plastics just dont cost that much.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

"After all, who knowingly risks a high-cost item in a high-risk environment?"

Three letters ; M.O.D

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Glug glug

What does it sound like underwater? I demand an audio recording.

Also, dangle one of them through a black hole, or the boundary that separates life and death, and record that. Like in that film.

What does Mobile Phone Heaven sound like?

6. Tim Wolfe-Barry
    Happy

But does it float?

As a 'nautical cove' I know the most common way to destroy your phone is to drop it in the briny. (or to have it thrown there by an enraged yacht-club commodore!)

If it floated we'd be able to retrieve it with a bucket or something...

7. yonorri
    Stop

Why Oh Why

Does it have to have a camera at all? After a week of use that this camera is going to get in the market it's aimed at and the lens will be completely covered in s**t and scratches.

If it had no camera I would consider buying one.

It a mobile phone... not a camera.

8. Vaidotas Zemlys
    Stop

Yeah, but

Is it children-proof? I have a little monster, who already ate (chewed to death to be more precise) my wife's Nokia, can this samsung endure him?

9. Sam

Technical oversight

The article didn't say how many Campbells it could withstand.

10. Matt Thornton
    Thumb Up

been saying it for years

When are the manufacturers going to make a phone that's actually a phone? This is definitely a step in the right direction - but why not make one that isn't the rugged drop it in the manure type and is instead an aesthetically pleasing tool, that just does the phone, text and moreorless bugr'all else but makes it all look really good?

The only similar feature-deprived phones I've seen are the really basic Sony Ericsson's and Nokia's, which even a fashion-unconscious pleb like me wouldn't be seen dead with.

This phone sounds like a step in the right direction.

11. operand

Child Proof

Nor sure about child proof, but it is IT tech proof (which amounts to the same thing).

We just had one of these for trial, the most anyone managed to do was to get it to reset by kicking it the length of the corridor.

The techs took it home for more 'scientific testing', comments coming back were "Cor, this can't half take a pounding" and "It took the paint off my radiator no problem"!

12. Stuart Clough

@Sam - Technical oversight

I don't follow. A campbell is 231lg and is a measurement of length.

A better question would be how many Norris can it withstand before the screen cracks or the casing breaks?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm not an outdoorsy type, nor a builder

but I still buy phones with a resistant build.

Anything else breaks the first time I throw it at something/one.

14. Risky
    Thumb Up

Good to see someone hitting this segment

I remember way back Ericsson had a phone, the R250s which was pretty rugged and integrated a PMR radio which was a nice touch.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

JCB Tough Phone

JCB "Wimp Phone" more like...

I saw this phone compared to the JCB on Channel 5's "The Gadget Show"; in a series of tests they managed to destroy the JCB, but the Samsung was still working.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like